Higher mileage Scud worth a look? | FerrariChat

Higher mileage Scud worth a look?

Discussion in '360/430' started by BGA23, Nov 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BGA23

BGA23 Rookie

Dec 2, 2012
    Scottsdale
    I'm thinking about buying an F430, Scud or a GT3 and I came across this Scud with 18K+miles on it. CarFax says 5 owners, AutoCheck has it as a 3 owner car.

2008 Ferrari 430 SCUDERIA Costa Mesa, California | EuroCar Inc.

I guess my biggest concerns are buying a car with 18K+ miles with no service history and then trying to sell it in a few years with over 20K miles, I do plan to actually drive it.

I'm not around the corner, so I can't just pop in to check her out but I would definitely fly out to inspect before I buy and of course have a PPI done first. Do we think I should bother looking into this one or should I keep searching for one with fewer miles? There aren't too many for sale on the west coast and I really don't want to have to deal with shipping if don't have to but I'm willing to be patient.

2. bkthomps

bkthomps Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2012
    USA
    have you tried calling a dealer and running the vin to see if any campaigns are open on it?

if you need a thinking point, i wouldn't be a buyer of a car with that mileage and no service history, it wouldn't even be a price discussion

3. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    If it already has 18k miles, I don't think having 20k is much different in terms of resale. Just make sure the price you pay reflects the higher miles.

4. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Does it have the US carbon package? I can't tell from the pictures.

5. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Just looked at the pics. Car looks pretty clean but the alcantara over the air bag looks like it's a different color. Could just be that it was a different run of alcantara and faded differently, or it could be because the airbag deployed, which would indicate a significant front-end collision. Something to look into.

6. 93ls1rx7

93ls1rx7 Rookie

Nov 13, 2014
    Careful.. Look at the pics of the window buttons and the passenger side seat seam between the seat and the thigh bolster...add to that the airbag color difference.

Auto check also looks like it was a rental of some sort.

Be super cautious

7. jrohlf

jrohlf Rookie

Mar 16, 2013
    Tahoe
    It makes me sad that 18k miles on a 6 year old car gives someone pause. If the miles were spread out at ~3k miles per year then that seems like the perfect balance between exercising the car vs. driving it into the ground. It is known that f cars which sit have more problems than those that have been driven.

FWIW, I've put 9K miles on my 08 scud in < 1.5 years and am pushing 19k miles. Similar to the scud you're considering, I've got some bolster wear on the driver seat and my airbag alcantara is also of a different shade but not as extreme.

I like this car. The engine bay carbon fiber looks very good, it has the deviated stitching and cool 3d seat fabric I wish I had. Lack of service records is a big deal but sometimes dealers can find them in their computer systems. I'd find out if it is full carbon and what the goofiness on the passenger seat is.

If I was still in the market and the service records could be dredged up I'd be all over this car. But I'd definitely fly out to see it and then get a PPI.

8. mlambert890

mlambert890 Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2002
    CA
    Ferraris are like really really expensive matchbox cars :)

You buy it, take pics of it in the garage, MAYBE show it off at Cars and Coffee in perfect summer weather only, then when it comes time for a major you probably sell it, but you keep the miles at +0 that way you "break even"

Rinse repeat for 4 or 5 owners and next thing you know its 20 years later, no significant service ever done, but no mileage either. LOL

IMO with a purchase this serious you should always get a *solid* PPI from a known trusted source, along with a body shop PPI also. At that point if it checks out you fly out and do a deal assuming the price is in your ballpark. With true expert reports on the actual car in question, miles (and even records) become irrelevant IMO. Without the records you just need to plan $Xk extra for an immediate major to be safe. That's how I would do it, but I'd be planning to actually own the car.

Most Ferrari purchases seem to be planned around the resale before they even happen though (rather than planning to actually own the car)

If you plan to own the car, the above strategy is solid. If you plan to just get the cheapest matchbox car possible and resell it before it needs big $ with minimal loss, then IMO this isn't the right car. One with no miles and a stack of records will be easier to keep in storage for a few years without losing money :D

(yes there's a bit of sarcasm there, but I really agree with jrohlf.. it seems insane that the reason everyone harps on to buy/own a Ferrari is this "subjective experience" thing, and the "soul", yet as soon as the car hits 5 digit mileage it becomes a pariah... seems pointless. Might as well just go to Vegas once a year and do a track day rental)

9. BGA23

BGA23 Rookie

Dec 2, 2012
    Scottsdale
    Thanks for all the info. I'm gonna skip this one. I think with a little patience I can find the right car for me, be it an F430, a Scud or a GT3.

10. F430giallomodena

F430giallomodena Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    Lugano, Switzerland
    18K = high miles? ?????????

what do you smoke guys???????

11. Voda

Voda Formula 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Seattle
    I talked with the lead mechanic at Exotics Racing in Vegas for a while where they run there 430's hard all day long in some hot temps. He expressed that they are solid cars, but as he put it "20,000 miles on one of these is equal to 150,000 miles on a Toyota"
    His words, not mine, and he obviously has a lot more experience than most, for what it's worth.

12. F430giallomodena

F430giallomodena Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    Lugano, Switzerland
    so......my previous F430 that run almost 60K and still runs perfect would be a 400'000K miles Toyota? you gotta be kidding :)

13. Voda

Voda Formula 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Seattle
    Like I said, "his words, not mine" :)

14. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Do we know is car was part of a track company fleet? If not, I wouldn't be scared away by the mileage alone.

15. AlgaeHater

AlgaeHater Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2004
    Bellevue, WA
    No US carbon package.

16. sunir

sunir Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2014
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sunir
    Buy them, drive them, enjoy them. When you're on your deathbed it's only the memories you'll have that will be worth a damn, of the cars or anything else in life for that matter.

- As was mentioned earlier. It's a shame that once a Ferrari, such a great car in it's own right, somehow magically turns into a pariah at 20K miles. We are doing this folks, we are creating that negative stigma, not the manufacturer...and certainly not the engineering behind what once made Scuderia Ferrari, the racing outfit once dreamt of by a young Enzo, one of the sturdiest, greatest, and most passionate engines and chassis ever to take a checkered flag!

17. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani

18k miles isn't high mileage! I bet it runs better than most cars with 3k miles.

18. Voda

Voda Formula 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Seattle
    +1

Not so much. It's issues like manifolds, exhaust brackets, rapid f1 clutch wear reports, actuator failure, sub-par paint quality, on-and-on-and-on... etc. that have created the negative stigma, along with the exorbitant parts costs and service expenses, etc....basically can turn into a PITA car (hence my search for a good 'ol GT40)

19. Voda

Voda Formula 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Seattle
    So between 3 to 5 owners in a 6 year period. Why? This one not a keeper?

No service history: a lot of times service history doesn't follow a car when it goes through an auction. If a Scud hit auction (Manheim Exotic Auction, etc.), there is a reason it went to auction

20. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    I think more people are realizing that they can buy a ferrari and enjoy it for a couple thousand miles over a couple of years and hardly lose anything. Hence they tend to go through numerous owners before finding someone who genuinely wants to keep the car.

21. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    If the price is right don't worry about the miles. Cars are meant to be driven.

22. barabba

barabba Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2007
    Ticino / Zurich
    You may as well buy it without engine. You won't need it anyway to keep it stationary in your garage and you will keep your cost per mile down....

23. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    OP said he plans to drive it, not just look at it in his garage.

24. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    +1

While maintenance costs can be high, I agree that, to a great extent, we the buyers/owners are the ones who create this fear of any Ferrari with more than a few thousand miles on the odometer. It's really sad how anything close to normal car mileage is viewed so negatively. Although I wish it weren't the case, I admit that concerns about the cost of the miles I put on my scud in terms of car value makes me drive it less than I would otherwise, the "smiles" associated with the miles notwithstanding.