WTB Acura NSX | Page 2 | FerrariChat

WTB Acura NSX

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by marklotus, Nov 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sweet928

Sweet928 Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2011
    CA
    I will add that the NSX was my best resale of any car up until my recent sale of my 4th 928. I sold the NSX for 100 bucks less than I paid. The 928 was the first sports car I made money on. I also had that coupon for six sets of Yokohama rear tires that came from the class action settlement against Acura.

2. blue_myriddn

blue_myriddn Karting

Feb 8, 2012
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Sounds like you have already made the first key decision - targa or not. I always tell people who want a dedicated track car to go for the 1994 or earlier. The power steering kicks off on the targas at higher speeds, but it is the low speeds where you feel a stronger connection on tracks (and lets face it, you aren't going 85+ on the turns of most tracks)

I however went with the weekend cruiser style and find that the targa top is plenty stiff for sharp corners and I wouldn't skip the open air experience for anything. The NSX targa is also brilliantly designed to stow above the engine allowing you to keep those two suitcases you wife needed to bring along on your weekend get-away comfortably stored in the trunk. Proper maintenance of the seals ensures no squeaking, although the 95 model years sometimes have a few issues there due to it being the first year.

I highly encourage you to join NSXPrime and poke around. I bought my NSX from a long time member of the NSX Club of America and that made the process significantly smoother. I still keep in good contact with the previous owner. While there are often a few for sale, as with the case of a Ferrari the good ones are often traded quickly and with little fanfare.

3. marklotus

marklotus Karting

May 8, 2007
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    All good advice.
    Thanks guys.

4. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    #29 sherrillt, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
    Wow – you would be on your own in most automotive circle discussions (an Accord...really?) with anyone who has owned and really driven an NSX on a track or back road blast. I have heard the "it's just a Honda" statement and I tend to be dismissive to anyone who would make such a badge centric comment as not knowing the car. The car was and still is phenomenal to this day in 2014 and my 512TR would go before my NSX would and that is saying a lot from a hardcore car and driving enthusiast. Like you, I have owned a series of most of the desirable performance marquis and various Halo cars, but as I have always sold and moved on to a bigger better car there have been only certain cars that earned permanent retention rights and the NSX since the 90s has always been there as Corvettes, Porsches, BMWs, and notable others moved on to new homes.

Here's a good assessment that says it like I would:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLJ2lw0bCkk

5. Sweet928

Sweet928 Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2011
    CA
    I'm well aware. I owned one so reviews are meaningless to me. I said it was technically prefect and that's why I didn't like it. Part of owning a sports car are it's quirks. The NSX has none. It's reliable, it's balanced, it's pretty. It wasn't bad for me. I was happy to have tried it out. I just never want to go back to one. I'm weird. What can I say. I went back to the Porsche 928 four times. 911 two times. There is an ass for every seat. The Honda (Acura) felt VERY Japanese to me. The interior was exactly the same materials as my dad's Acura Legend. The feel and look of the cluster, stalk, shifter, seat belts....everything.

6. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Get your NSX's now before the 2015 model debuts. After that I told ya so. They are going to get really expensive fast. 2004/05 models first. Zanardi's next if you can find one. Hard tops next. All manuals preferred. Skip the autobox cars. Pass on the Targa unless that's all there is.

7. blue_myriddn

blue_myriddn Karting

Feb 8, 2012
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I doubt they will climb that quickly. The new NSX is a very different beast.

The 2002+ cars are just 1997 cars with a body kit. There are only two mechanically different breeds - NA1 (1991-1996) & NA2 (1997-2005). Sales didn't increase with the 2002 model year because the car didn't offer significant upgrades.

Zanardi's are already very pricey and very hard to come by. A little strange because they are designed for track performance and quite frankly the car is too pricey to track on a regular basis. If you track it for too long, you will want more power anyways so you are better off getting a less expensive 1991-94 and popping a super charger in there.

NSXs are too slow by modern standards for many things other than happily cruising around town or carving up your favorite back country road. In my view, both of those things are done more enjoyably with the top popped off, so the targa is a good way to go.

8. marklotus

marklotus Karting

May 8, 2007
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I agree with blue_myriddn.
    The NSX is not a high performance car in today's world. It's an OK performance car.
    I'm sure the new NSX will be a high performance car, especially with aux electric motors, but that's another story.
    I'm just looking for a reliable, comfortable, different cruiser and would much prefer the targa top.

9. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I'm the same way. Had a perfect woman once. Couldn't stand it so I got rid of her.
    I'm into train wrecks now.
    ;)

10. Sweet928

Sweet928 Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2011
    CA
    If you want to liken to a woman, she's a model but very proper. She doesn't get drunk and like to.. ahem...get naughty. The NSX is Katie Couric and I prefer a little more Cameron Diaz. Lol

11. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
  12. rnelson

rnelson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2005
    Lol they haven't, that guy is either on drugs or it's a typo.

13. blue_myriddn

blue_myriddn Karting

Feb 8, 2012
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    That car has been discussed a bit on NSXprime: Overpriced or will it sell? JH4NA2166VT000249

It is unlikely to sell at that price. The seller is trying to recoup the cost of the extensive modifications and that is unlikely to happen.

My personal favorite on the market is this one:
    Cars for Sale: 2001 Acura NSX T in LAGUNA HILLS, CA 92653: Coupe Details - 381826956 - AutoTrader.com

Then again, I am biased as it is the cousin to the car that I have. There were only 16 made in that year in that color combo, so it is rare to see one pop up. I have no idea about the maintenance records so I can't really comment on the price. It is unusual to have the fog lights and the front lip is missing as are the original tan floor mats. Otherwise, it seems fairly clean and unmolested.

If you are looking for a red NSX, the 1999+ vehicles have a slightly deeper shade of red that in my view looks a little sharper. More details on production numbers and variations here: Production Numbers - NSX-Wiki

14. dkny

dkny Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    Full Name:
    dave
    +1

It does everything it is supposed to do, and doesn't break down

15. Joegnsx

Joegnsx Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 1, 2012
    Valrico, FL & Franklin, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Gliksman
    I can't believe some of the negative comments about the NSX. I have a92 with 140K miles, all of them enjoyable--possibly one of the best cars I've owned, including the 430 I added about 2 years ago. 22 years old, and a great car--almost as good as ever. One suggestion is to consider accepting higher mileage cars--these are not like Ferraris in that respect. So reliable--never let me down--and apparently getting harder to get....I plan to keep mine forever. Prime is a good place to look--good luck!

16. wahoo5

wahoo5 Karting

Nov 9, 2009
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    David
    My favorite version of the comparison is "An NSX has supermodel looks with Girl Scout reliability." I owned a 200 NSX for 5 years before buying a 430. I thoroughly enjoyed my NSX, but do not regret moving up.

17. SloW8

SloW8 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2010
    I have to say the driving experience returns exactly what you put into it. If you want to trundle around town like you are driving an Accord, it will do that. If you want to wring it out in the twisties, it will comply. It is one of those cars that the harder you push it, the better it gets. It isn't scary fast but it does everything well. The closer you get to 10/10ths the more you realize how wonderfully engineered it is.

18. marklotus

marklotus Karting

May 8, 2007
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks to all for the advice and input.
    I've gotten some leads but nothing for sure.
    If anyone has any more leads out there, please send me a PM.
    I'm a serious buyer looking for a nice car.
    Thanks again.

19. azcarguy

azcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2003
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Marc
  20. marklotus

marklotus Karting

May 8, 2007
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I would prefer to buy one from the owner rather than a dealer.
    If you know of someone considering selling, please let me know.
    Ready to buy a good car at a fair price.
    Thanks to all.

21. blue_myriddn

blue_myriddn Karting

Feb 8, 2012
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Consider posting a "wanted" ad on NSXPrime: NSXs Wanted

Also, I suspect you have already reviewed the "for sale" section at NSXPrime:
    NSXs For Sale

Any color preferences? Do you like the bug-eyes or the pop-ups?

22. marklotus

marklotus Karting

May 8, 2007
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I would prefer the bug-eye 2002-2005 but will consider 1997 and newer.
    Pretty open to colors except no black or green. Manual transmission only.

I've been looking on NSX Prime and the usual sites but would prefer finding a nice private car, well serviced and under 40,000 miles. I've actually gotten some leads from FerrariChat but have not found the right car. No hurry. I'm enjoying having my daily driver in the garage for the winter. I'm ready to buy the right car when it comes up.

I will be placing an NSX Wanted ad in NSX Prime.

Again all leads appreciate. Send a PM with any leads.

23. NA1MT

NA1MT Rookie

Oct 22, 2006
    Central Jersey
    Full Name:
    Ron
    It was just a little bid modded.....to say the least....lol.

24. vvr

vvr Rookie

Sep 8, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I have enjoyed the comments here. I currently have a 91 w/80k miles on it. I have owned it for 15 years and have had it on the track a few times. It is a fabulous car. It is not a high powered car, but well balanced and a blast to drive. It is well mannered and repair and maintenance doesn't get you annoyed. I am planning to add another car in the garage soon, but the NSX will stay. it is a keeper. Good luck in the search. These cars can handle 200k miles on them so don't let miles scare you.