1998 F355 engine cuts at 4000 rpm | FerrariChat

1998 F355 engine cuts at 4000 rpm

Discussion in '348/355' started by Manuel, Nov 30, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Manuel

Manuel Rookie

Oct 19, 2004
    San Juan,Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Manuel del Valle
    Today, my F355 would "cut" the engine at 4000 rpm and it would momentarily light up both the slow down and check engine warning lights. It did this every time I attempted to get the car above 4000 rpm. No warning signs of any problems, the car was working perfectly.
    Can anyone suggest an explanation? I believe it's probably an exhaust sensor but it's kind of weird how Engine "cuts" rather abruptly at 4000 rpm

2. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Check cats and corresponding sensors. Could be a bad sensor.

3. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Slow down both sides? 1-4 and 5-8?
    Totally shut down, or just 4 cyls?

4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Bruce, 98's only have one SDL so he would need to scan codes to know which bank.

5. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Could be an overheated cat from a misfire or fuel problem (check spark plugs & wires or fuel injectors). Also possible that it's just a slow down ECU problem giving a false indication. When this happens the car goes into "limp mode" to keep from burning things up if a real overheating condition is present.

Get an IR temp gun, when the problem occurs immediately measure the temperature of each cat. They should be approximately the same temperature (450 - 600 F) depending on how hard you're driving. If one is several hundred degrees hotter, there's excess fuel getting there. If temps are normal it's likely the slow down ECU on the indicated bank. An OBD2 scan should tell which side the problem is on.

Manuel, are you related to Jaime (Jaguars).

6. Manuel

Manuel Rookie

Oct 19, 2004
    San Juan,Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Manuel del Valle
    Thank you for the suggestions. The problem occurred about 10 minutes after starting the car early in the morning. I don't think the cats (hyper flow) had time to overheat. Nevertheless, when I reached 4000 rpm in 2 gear, both slow down and check engine warning lights lit up momentarily and the engine immediately cut down the rpm's to about 2000. Not to long ago I did notice an unusual amount of dark smoke coming out of the exhaust under hard acceleration. I do not usually drive the car above 5000 rpm and I think the smoke was due to carbon deposits.
    I do know Jaime Del Valle. He's my father's second cousin.
    He does not own the Jaguar dealership anymore but does own the best body shop in San Juan. I have been a customer of his for several years.

7. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Is it saying slow down 1-4 or 4-8? You can swap around the o2 sensors to check if a bad o2 sensor is the culprit. They are known to go bad often.

8. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Its not the O2 sensors that create the SDL, it is the EGT (exhaust gas temp.) measurement system. It consist of Thermocouples and sending units referred to here as ECUs, SDECUs (slow down ECUs).

The issue could be bad ECUs, bad thermocouples, connections or any combination of the above. SOmetimes you get a CEL with a SDL and sometimes you will have a code related to Cat temp that might help identify the side that is the issue. From there you can start identifying the faulty component IF there isn't an actual hot Cat issue.

Check the cats with the laser temp, if they are normal then its time to rouble shoot what isn't working.

If you want to DIY, post some more detail as far as OBD codes in the CEL, cat temps and any other information.

9. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Correct. Not the 02 sensors. The thermocouples.