Who designed the 330 GTC Body? | FerrariChat

Who designed the 330 GTC Body?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Jumprun, Nov 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jumprun

Jumprun Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    T. Martinez
    I understand that the 330/365 GTC has design elements of the 330 2+2 and 275 GTS, and that Tom Tjaarda was employed by Pinninfarina and was responsible for the 330 2+2 body design.

Is there an individual credited or was there an acknowledged design leader of the GTC? Who brought it all together? Was it Mr. Tjaarda?

Tom in Socal.

2. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    It appears Tjaarda was the designer of the 330 GTC and Aldo Brovarone was the designer of the 365 GT 2+2.

As far as who designed the 275 GTS and the 275 GTB for that matter, that's a little more murky.

-F

3. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.
    As per many sources and particularly Tom Tjaarda - Cars , the 330 GTC doesn't appear to be the work of Tjaarda .

Ciao

Andrea

4. Vintage47

Vintage47 Karting

Oct 16, 2005
    I've never seen anything crediting the designer of the GTE. Was it Aldo Brovarone?

5. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Pininfarina, as a company, rarely gave credit to individual designers for their work. Over the years, some designs have been associated with individuals, but only after they left the firm. Pininfarina preferred to let the company, as a whole, receive credit for the work.

6. Jumprun

Jumprun Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    T. Martinez
    This policy makes sense from a business standpoint because I assume the company owned the designs but I still wonder who was the leader of the team, who made the final call when differences arose during the design process? Who said "yes this design is finished" Maybe Ferrari owned the design? Whose idea was it to meld the 275 GTS tail to the catfish mouth?

Part of my curiosity is because I have a small design and engineering company and even though most significant designs are a team effort there is always a leader or someone who has approval authority at all the crossroads of a design and the finished product. Sometimes it's even a cooperative effort between us and our customer.