Lowered 328's... | FerrariChat

Lowered 328's...

Discussion in '308/328' started by SSNISTR, Aug 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Hello gents, I recently sold my 328 to a friend who is not big on computers. He wants to lower it about 1". What do you recommend to do this? Coilovers, springs, etc. I found a few threads on 308's, but thought the 328 had upgraded suspension. It is a 1989 if that matters.

Pics would be great!

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I recommend he drive it over some speed bumps and ramps at standard height, with a heavy passenger, before spending money to make it undriveable.

Rifledriver likes this.
  3. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    lowering it 1" does not make it undriveable.

4. Rich S

Rich S Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    Monterey, California
    Full Name:
    Rich Saylor
    I suggest he sell the Ferrari to someone who doesn't like trashing cars, and buy a Corvette or Mustang or something, instead.

Cheers,
    Rich

5. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Lowering a car properly, and only about an inch improves looks and handling. Hearing some of your comments is laughable.

If you can't help with the issue at hand, please move on, thanks.

SJP 5 likes this.
  6. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    you were lacking a caveat, lowering the car but also not driving like a total assclown.

7. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #7 Bullfighter, Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
    Good luck. Tried to share my experience.

8. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    I would agree if you want to not worry about how you drive your Ferrari you are better leaving it at stock height, or even raise it if you want to not worry about driving it like a minivan over speed bumps.

9. ALUMINUMYELLOW328

ALUMINUMYELLOW328 Formula Junior

May 30, 2004
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Rhett R Arcilla
    Ryan, get in touch with 308nut (Wade Nunez), he has my 89 and I had him lower my car. Cheers rhett..

10. Falcon

Falcon Formula 3

Aug 19, 2008
    New England Region
    Full Name:
    Falcon
    The "upgraded" suspendsion is from the Mondial with modifications. The upper and lower wish bones both front and rear, are the same. The Mondial owners may be able to assist you.

11. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Its fine for a track car. Its impractical for a car on the street round where I live - too many speed bumps & I've grazed it numerous times over the years underneath. Its the panel under the radiator, the jacking points or the very tail end of the chassis legs behind the engine that get caught.

Take another inch out the car & what is the occasional minor scrape becomes quite serious contact IMO.

12. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Same here in France; I don't know about the streets and roads in the USA, but what I know is that it's already really marginal with the standard ground clearance of the car as it is, so taking an inch out of the standard ground clearance of the car would really be calling for disaster.

Rgds

13. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Thank you, will do that. Do you happen to know what he did at all or have pics?

14. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    The car is in FL, roads are good here. Plus, 1" will not make much of a difference. Just need to be a little more careful. 328's have awful fender gap stock, and the 1" really helps that look visually better. Plus handling is improved. My 911 has been lowered 1.25" for years, I am careful and have never scraped anything. I actually know someone who make replaceable skid plates if need be.

15. ALUMINUMYELLOW328

ALUMINUMYELLOW328 Formula Junior

May 30, 2004
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Rhett R Arcilla
    Springs were made from scratch and the shocks were rebuilt, he has all the details. I do not have pictures to share right now..

16. Skindiver

Skindiver Karting

Apr 22, 2004
    JHB SA.
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #16 Skindiver, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
    Some cars ARE lower in stock trim than others. This fact has been discussed here at length. Mine raked nose up and had a large fender gap. About 95mm. I took my springs to a spring works and asked for new custom made springs at precisely the same rate or stiffness ( as opposed to the usual 20% stiffer as I had low profile tyres and didnt want a harsh ride ) but 30mm shorter in front and 15mm shorter in the rear. The rear turned out perfect but the front did not change at all. I took the front springs back and they were scragged down another 40mm. This finally resulted in an absolutely perfect 35mm drop in front. The forward rake and stance is so elegant and powerful at the same time. Nothing rubs or touches. I had wheel alignment done and found that as expected, the car had gained positive caster and negative camber. All specs were easily adjusted to be in the recommended ranges. I set caster to the max of the range as I value straight line stability. This process was simple and straightforward with the exception of the trial and error on the length of the springs to give the desired result. I kept my OE yellow bilsteins as they tested fine.

My handling has improved a lot. I suspect that the increased positive caster has something to do with it as the pre lowering caster spec was 2° too little making the straight line handling darty. I had struggled with that for years. Understanding the 3 main wheel alignment settings and their effects on handling is crucial.

Obviously the car is lower and initially one is cautious at bumps and verges but since my car measures only about 10mm lower than a friends stock car, its really no big deal. I dont expect to 4 x 4 with it ( or to have cup holders in it ). The ride feel and firmness is indistinguishable from how it was. Should I wish to put the origional springs back, ( never) it would take me a morning on my own.

17. Skindiver

Skindiver Karting

Apr 22, 2004
    JHB SA.
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Some cars ARE lower in stock trim than others. This fact has been discussed here at length. Mine raked nose up and had a large fender gap. About 95mm. I took my springs to a spring works and asked for new custom made springs at precisely the same rate or stiffness ( as opposed to the usual 20% stiffer as I had low profile tyres and didnt want a harsh ride ) but 30mm shorter in front and 15mm shorter in the rear. The rear turned out perfect but the front did not change at all. I took the front springs back and they were scragged down another 40mm. This finally resulted in an absolutely perfect 35mm drop in front. The forward rake and stance is so elegant and powerful at the same time. Nothing rubs or touches. I had wheel alignment done and found that as expected, the car had gained positive caster and negative camber. All specs were easily adjusted to be in the reccomended ranges. I set caster to the max of the range as I value straight line stability. This process was simple and straightforward with the exception of the trial and error on the length of the springs to give the desired result. I kept my OE yellow bilsteins as they tested fine.

My handling has improved a lot. I suspect that the increased positive caster has something to do with it as the pre lowering caster spec was 2° too little making the straight line handling darty. I struggled with that for years. Understanding the 3 main wheel alignment settings and their effects on handling is crucial.

Obviously the car is lower and initially one is cautious at bumps and verges but since my car measures only about 10mm lower than a friends stock car, its really no big deal. I dont expect to 4 x 4 with it ( or to have cup holders in it ). The ride feel and firmness is indistinhuishable from how it was. Should I wish to put the origional springs back, ( never) it would take me a morning on my own.

18. Hotzos

Hotzos Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2004
    Parker, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Gomez
    Look at what Wilbers offers. I got custom shocks that lowered my 308 about 3/4". No issues with interference and it looks better. Hard to tell if the new shocks or the lower height made the difference -- but it sure handles a lot better than my worn out Koni's.

19. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Mine is lowered one inch and now, it handles and looks better.

Kent Dellenbusch likes this.
  20. PowerFrank

PowerFrank Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    Texas & SoCal
    Full Name:
    Frank
    what is the difference in ride height between the 308s and the 328s? I remember seeing mine side by side with 308s and they seemed relatively much higher.

I tend to agree on keeping the stock ride height for the 328. getting in and out of many normal parking lots is already a bit of a challenge. my sense is unless you are just doing track time and canyon runs, it would make getting around more annoying.

though I'd love to fill those wheel wells!

21. Skindiver

Skindiver Karting

Apr 22, 2004
    JHB SA.
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #21 Skindiver, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    absolutely fantastic Greg ! love it... :)

23. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Greg, your car nearly has the perfect stance, just plain beautiful.
    Your wheels looks awesome as well.

24. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    what wheels are those?

25. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012