Cars n Coffee Irvine going bye-bye. | FerrariChat

Cars n Coffee Irvine going bye-bye.

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by SrfCity, Dec 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

At least at the Ford, Mazda parking lot. Last weekend is December 27th. They're looking to move it to possibly the Irvine Great Park aka the old El Toro Marine base. Rumor was floating around last weekend but it looks to be true. Complaints from some of the condo peeps blocks away apparently. Probably Irvine Co. putting their foot down again as they own the newly finished hotel property directly across the street, plus the apartment homes that were most likely complaining. Hopefully the next location is well away from the Irvine Co. It's been a good run. Stay tuned.

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

the best run...a great event. nothing in the united states like it to my knowledge.

3. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    The "D" Bags at Irvine Company got rid of Crystal Cove and now C&C. At least their is a Cars & Coffee in Carlsbad, but I am hearing that El Toro might be a new venue as well.

4. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Try anywhere in the world, as far as a non-advertised car show. People come from everywhere to visit it. Hopefully it continues and the new place is even better.

5. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    You would think that the Irvine Company might view this as an opportunity to put some life into one of their Irvine centers that are not doing as well as they would like. I used to know people in their retail center unit. No longer, I'm afraid.

6. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I deal with their retail people on occasion. Unless there is something in it for Donald Bren don't expect them to jump at it. If someone has a compelling argument for a particular center, I can give you the contact names.

7. td80

td80 Karting

Nov 5, 2005
    Irvine, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave M.
    I would say the spirit of C&C and the nature of The Irvine Co. are diametrically opposed. I own property in Irvine, and yet I still don't like TIC. The organization seems to be cut from quite a fascist cloth...

8. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    There is a reason most Irvine Company properties are first class prime property....Donald Bren. Very shrewd businessman who rules with an iron fist. He didn't become worth $17 billion by being nice.

I believe Lennar controls the Great Park area these days but the voters shut El Toro. They had many car events there in the past....autocross, slalom, PCA, and numerous historic events. With the many new homes and condos in the area today and many more soon, I just don't see the Great Park location happening.

I believe an ideal location would be the South Coast Plaza parking lot in front of Saks.....just off the freeway, not residential and everyone would be gone by the time Saks opens. Liability is always the issue...do they want to take it on and why should they want to? Like TrojanFan stated, what's in it for the owners?

BTW--a prime example why these events get shut down....Anyone know a guy about 35-45 who wears glasses, drives a newer grey metallic Gallardo and probably lives in the Laguna Altamura area off the 133/Laguna Canyon Rd?

Last Friday afternoon, this guy lost control of the Gallardo while making a simple right turn onto the 133. Trying to gun it and show off like a *****, he did a 360, almost went into the opposing traffic, and came to a complete stop in the middle of the road facing the wrong way! He should get a Prius if he can't handle the G-car safely. He could have seriously injured someone.

9. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    ^ This type of idiocy seems to be the downfall of all of the informal car gatherings. IIRC, Crystal Cove was the pinnacle until people decided to do burnouts on the way out.

Maybe the answer is to arrange police presence for a couple of hours?

10. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I gotta make it to one before it's gone.

11. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Cops are already there at the entrance, during the show. Last weekend there were two, a police car and motorcycle cop. One of the unnamed sponsors behind the event pays for this, apparently to the tune of $2,500 a year. The event is very civilized as you'll get ticketed for doing something dumb. Once people are out of sight, you might get the occasional idiot, but that is rare.

12. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    And there all always a group of clowns standing at the exit with cameras encouraging folks to do burn outs when they leave. Last week they were yelling "no cops, burnout" as I was leaving. Of course, the reason there wasn't a cop at the exit was that he was just a block or two away citing a new GT4.

13. dlopez001

dlopez001 Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2007
    CA
    Full Name:
    DL
    Carlsbad (at the outlet mall off of Palomar Airport Rd & Hwy 5) Saturday mornings can be quite interesting. I like the fact that it's not nearly the size of Irvine, yet pulls in quite a variety. Lately there have been several Ferraris showing up. There are a couple of Enzos and F40 that are somewhat local that make an appearance every now and then. Saw my first Huracan a couple of weeks ago here. Every so often a local car club decides to make a mass appearance -- saw about 30 Evos drive in and all park next to each other -- neat sight and it's not like I'm a huge Evo fan but was cool to see. Car Country Carlsbad is around the corner and BMW Encinitas is down the street, and it's nice that the dealership bring out their latest and greatest high end cars. CHP local PD show up and chat with us every so often, and I like that their presence keeps us honest. Still the occasional stupid burnout.

It's close to me so I really have no excuse. I know it's a hike for the OC crowd though.

In the summer months there is a monthly Sunday San Marcos show at Old Restaurant Row. Mostly hot rods, but they do set aside an area for exotics. Again the occasional Enzo sighting.

14. 121Designer

121Designer Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2013
    Burbank,California
    Full Name:
    Joshua Lange
    Wow... what year did the Irvine venue start? I feel bad for all of us. It was always a little bit of a drive, but there was always at least one car to drop dead for. I have to get my old behind out of bed this Saturday and each one until December 27 to savor this iconic Los Angeles venue. Supercar Sunday is always around and might handle some of the overflow, but it doesn't quite capture the designer one of a kinds and rarities like Cars and Coffee does.

Morons who burned tires and revved it up to show off have one less place to share their stupidity. We have one less place to share our passion and stories over coffee.

15. nocturne1

nocturne1 Formula 3

Sep 8, 2004
    Foothill Ranch, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Damn. Here we go again. :(

16. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

The last weekend for Crystal Cove was October 14, 2006 and Cars and Coffee, Ford/Mazda started October 21, 2006. So it had just over an 8 year run. Not bad.

John Clinard and Freeman Thomas of Ford were behind the location and provided they aren't too tired of things, should be up to the task of finding a new great place if they haven't already. The pressure is on them :) Since the start of Cars and Coffee, Ford pretty much moved out of the building except for some design people and Taco Bell became the primary tenant. Could have been as simple as a call from Donald Bren of Irvine Co. to Glen Bell of Taco Bell about noise and it was only a matter of time until we had to leave. My understanding is Bren is not a car guy in the least so zero support from him for this kind of thing. Keep that in mind when you do your shopping this holiday season. I know the Segerstrom son is a big Shelby car nut(owns a bunch of them) so maybe someone could talk to him about a corner of South Coast Plaza if all else fails.

17. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    Huntington Barbour car club does a nice Sunday morning event at the sunset beach Starbucks parking lot.

18. Andrewo

Andrewo Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2011
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I was told when I went last week and wasn't surprised. It was just a matter of time with the the new hotel being built across the street. Hopefully the organizers can find a suitable location and make it even better. I can't imagine crowded it is going to be on the 27th.

19. julian355

julian355 Karting

Mar 12, 2005
    orange county
    Full Name:
    julian
    Bummer, keep us updated with the new location please.

20. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    #20 308Dadoo, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    #21 308Dadoo, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Sounds like the event is up in the air? Apparently the Tustin Market Place is a possibility and also some industrial area. Unfortunately John Clinard and his wife are not going to be organizing this any more, so not sure who's going to do the work. The Mayor of Irvine was the one that was getting complaints from the apartment homes and put the kibosh on it. There's a couple of people working to secure a new location but nothing is nailed down. Without someone to coordinate this every week, things might be short lived even if a new location is secured. Kind of like Cars and Coffee goes homeless. :( Hoping for some better news next weekend.

23. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    The course has had its run, but too many common cars are taking teh foothold.
    Time to let it go...

24. Frips_Girl

Frips_Girl Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2007
    SoCal & TO
    Full Name:
    Annetta
    This is disappointing news, but I'm optimistic that a new venue will be created for the event. It's too much of a legend now not to be redirected to another lot, hopefully within the same vicinity and not too much further north.

Luckily I'm back in town and will be at the show with my little Fiat one last time :)

25. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    That was one of my favourite things about the brief time I lived in SoCal!