Testarossa front spoiler | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Testarossa front spoiler

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by tessmania, Nov 26, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The front overhang is too long and the spoiler is too low. Combined, they make it almost impossible to use the car around town. I learned my lesson early on after scuffing the underside of my front spoiler against what could best be described as a change in elevation.

Screw that...now I don't go anyplace unfamiliar without a spotter.

2. TestaLA

TestaLA Karting

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah this seems to be a problem everybody is having. I was hoping for a solution like skid plates or changing out the spoiler to one made out of titanium mixed with Kryptonite forged from Mordor. But I guess I will have to deal with fiberglass. If anyone knows of any mod that works or anything other than fixing it (which is actually not so bad at least I dont have to worry about stocking up on extra spoilers in the garage) let me know. As some of you know I am planning on using this car more than the average driver ;) Almost done 500 miles!!! Its freaking awesome

3. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    Come join us on TR, 512TR and 512M owners drive. I like the idea that you are driving your car and not displaying it. :) We are looking for a late June or mid July TR run. :) Feel free to PM me. or our group at www.prancingthunder.com

4. TestaLA

TestaLA Karting

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Anybody know where I can find info about this titanium plate? I searched a bit and couldn't find anything...One idea a bodyshop came up with was a piece of aluminum but I haven't actually taken it in yet to have it done. Before I do I was hoping someone out there found a solution other than my current one....
    Fix it every 2-3 months.

5. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Adi,
    Here is the link to Kerry's thread--his solution was aluminum not Ti. BTW I scraped mine frequently at first, and still occasionally but now more cognizant and considerably fewer scrapes. I figured if I continued to scrape I would head down the same path with a plate but at this point I pay far more attention and do a visual while approaching an entrance/exit, drive past the ones that don't seem negotiable. The angled approach works on most steep ones--I'll drag going into my driveway every time straight but not at an angle. Also be aware I lost .5" ride height when I went back to original 16" wheels/tires so your 18's are doing you a small favor. As I recall you don't have a driveway angle issue (just narrow!) but for those that do Griots sells a "ramp" that lessens the incline.

As for repairs I have performed some minor re-glassing with good results, it's not terribly hard. I have also filled minor repairs with a 2-part epoxy called P-C7 (hardware store) that is also easy to work with and cures rock-hard. Also there seem to be differing opinions on the final finish--mine is smooth, satin black as were the other 4 TRs I viewed while car shopping. No idea if they were OEM finish or not, but sure seems consistent. Kerry used a Line-X type finish that while durable, I believe it's too heavily grained for OEM. Anyway, here's the link. Did you get your key(s)?

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88302

6. TestaLA

TestaLA Karting

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    #31 TestaLA, Jun 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I decided to paint it black for now while I learn my way around and test the limits of the spolier...CAREFULLY....

Actually doesnt look half bad. If you aren't familar with the car or looking for spoiler damage almost unnoticable
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Yeah ................ But not YOU ! I am quite sure you will repair it soon ... :)

8. TestaLA

TestaLA Karting

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    #33 TestaLA, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
    Yes I totally see it at every angle but at the same time I feel an odd liberation...now I dont mind knocking it as much for two reasons

1) it's already broken
    2) painted black it's really not as bad!

I also have an extra inch seeing as I knocked off about an inch off the bottom. As many of you know by my previous posts this is my ONLY car and daily driver...makes it just that much easier to drive cause I have more clearance ;)

I love this car I really do. Such a better 'driving experience' than the bland Carrera 911S I sold for it!

9. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Instead of Kryptonite I use snowplower base plate. They are made to sustain scraping on alsphat year long. So I use small parts that I had screwed under the front spoiler at each corner. I hear that scraping sound but I know its on something REALLY tough and that can be change easily and cheap. Just my 2 (canadian and sometimes at par) cents.

10. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    You are now cleared for the Baja 1000.

11. LRacine

LRacine Rookie

Aug 5, 2014
    Florida & NY
    Thanks for the tip... picked up two (one a spare hung on barn wall.....).

The new ones seem to be much lighter than the one I took off. Could be the weight difference is do to the many badly done repairs to the one I took off.... paint, bondo, unidentifiable "chemical frozen snot", etc etc

Did a quick doll up on the old one and will use it as I get accustomed to driving her, after a bit I will put the new "pretty" one on.

12. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Having owned one for 7 years - let me just give this opinion:

You are not a real Testarossa owner until you have broken it at least twice.

13. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #38 Melvok, Dec 11, 2014
  14. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
  15. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    After 2 I also made DIY version that holds now for three full seasons ...

Keep the new oem one for the new owner though ... :D

But all 512TR pals suffer from the same stupid construction ....

16. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I think fiberglass (glass reinforced plastic) GRF is easier to work with than sheet metal.

ago

17. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #42 Melvok, Dec 12, 2014
  18. okiedude

okiedude Formula 3

Jul 11, 2011
    Remulak
    Full Name:
    Blake
    Mine has been repaired a few times. The worst part was I tore it up again when Richard and I were test driving the car. That could be on my winter "to-do" list also!

19. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    I hit a curb making a low speed U Turn and had it repaired. No big deal. A good fiberglass body shop can repair it like new. It happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al

Was Richard driving? He test drives my cars whenever they're serviced. Sorry that happened, but it's an easy fix. Sounds like you are enjoying the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #46 kerrywittig, Dec 14, 2014
    I have had mine "fixed" now for years and it still looks new.........I did a write-up about it with pics years ago......You can beat mine with a post maul and it wont break, or mess up the finish......$62 usd! Lastly also I wrote up with pix years ago my self made skid plate........weighs a whole 2 lbs. and has been dragged up inclines and down an entrance every so often...........not even a nick on the spoiler....Offered them for sale for under a $100 and couldn't sell even one...Raised the price to $185....sold them all..........Maybe if I embossed a little horsey on it I may have been able to get a ridiculous $300+....:) Do a search with my username or keyword spoiler or skid plate in this or technical section.

By the way send me your spoiler and $500 later I can repair it and apply a finish that will last longer than the odometer!!

Boasting Me

22. Steve Marschman

Steve Marschman Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Idaho Falls
    Full Name:
    Steve Marschman
    I gave TR Rutlands $800 for a fiberglas replacement back about 10 years ago. It didn't have the mounting tabs installed (oh that was fun), and the surface was full of pinholes that required filling sanding filling sanding filling sanding... you get the picture. Then you need to texture it and paint it and then do the final mounting. Which also requires careful trimming of the aluminum pan as the fiberglas piece results in a little different clearance amongst the parts. I think I had to drill the hole for the front pull ring as well (and thats on a curved surface, drill verrryyyyy carefully). Still saved me $900 over the factory replacement. Thank goodness my TR is black, any semi-flat black rattlecan paint looks great.

Steve

23. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #48 kerrywittig, Dec 15, 2014
  24. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran