cam belt conversion to cam chain? | FerrariChat

cam belt conversion to cam chain?

Discussion in '348/355' started by donzinitro, Dec 1, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. donzinitro

donzinitro Rookie

Oct 11, 2009
    France
    Full Name:
    QUENTIN
    hello,
    I was asking me if someone ever try to make a conversion kit to fit cam chain on a F355?
    I made some research on the net but didn't find anything.
    hope to have your opinion on this strange idea! if ferrari came to cam chain in the new model why nobody try to do it on the older ones....

PS: I am french and live in Bordeaux, i have a 308gtsi and i am on the way to buy a F355 spider and i want to thank every body on this forum for the fantastic amount of informations that we can find here.
    Fantastic forum made by fantastic anthousiast owner....

2. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    It would be a huge undertaking. Sealed timing cover, oiling system, tensioners. I don't think it would be worth the expense personally.

3. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Bad idea. No need to re invent the wheel.... :)

4. dbourbeau@msn.com

Jun 25, 2014
    Fl.
    Full Name:
    Dave bourbeau
    The reality is the belts work great. Changing them is not all that hard, and there almost indestructible. How many have you seen blow apart. This is my 3rd Ferrari. Had a 308 from new and never changes the belt, and drove every day for 31/2 years with no problems.

5. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    It wouldn't solve much even if you went to the trouble. Chains/tensioners/guides need to be replaced as well. I've had to do timing chain tensioners in a newer bmw v8 and it was no fun. It would require the same engine out service, just less often but be more expensive when it did need to be done. Instead of every 5 years, maybe you could wait 15, but by then you'd have had to pull the motor to do the water pump, fix some leaking seals etc. once or twice anyway.

6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    It's call putting a 430 engine in your 355.

7. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Beat me to it.

To the OP: If the belt thing is that important to you, buy a 430. It will be cheaper than trying to put chains on a 355.

8. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    And it would still require expensive, regular maintenance. There ain't no free lunch, it's a Ferrari.

9. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Isn't that the truth.

10. donzinitro

donzinitro Rookie

Oct 11, 2009
    France
    Full Name:
    QUENTIN
    I didn't want to do it but just asking me if someone already did it and if you think it would be possible....
    Here in France we don't use to make modification in a Ferrari like it's possible to see in united state.
    When i show the Nick Forza cambelt kit modification for 308 to ferrari owner they ask me if i want to drive my car in the next fast and furious!!!
    European are very conservative: it doesn't work very well but we keep it stock!....
    From here it seems that you are more open to modifications and it is great.
    It is always interresting to read your opinion and answer,
    You are lucky to have such a great forum.

11. speeder37

speeder37 Karting

Nov 18, 2003
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Much to do about nothing. I have been off of the different forums for a number of years. On my return, I have bumped into more than substantial conversation regarding belt services/maintenance costs and the 355.
    I have an old friend that served some time as an R&D V.P at Gates. He stated that our belts would be good for 10 years at least and under severe use.
    My last belt change was 2004. We looked at them it this past October. On the surface, they appear near new. No cracks, no discoloration. He says they look fine for years to come.
    I will do a major this spring and get a better look at the belts.
    I don't drive drive the car much. My guess is that all of that sitting is worse for them.
    FWIW

12. VEEP

VEEP Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2005
    Overasselt
    will he pay when the belts will break even he says they are fine?
    a nice looking belt can still bestreched. After ten yeats (and how much and how often use?) check not only on sight, but replace and measure...would be nice to see the data of that.

13. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This topic has been beaten to death.

It's not the belt that we are worried about, it's the other parts that work hand in hand with the belt.

A seized bearing or tensioner will shred a belt to smithereens.

14. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    Mine had the same belts, tensioners, water pump, etc. for 10 years when I bought it early this year. We're doing the major right now - all the parts still looked good and there were no leaks. Nonetheless, we are replacing the parts with the engine out service. After seeing this, I would be ok with at least 5 years between belt changes...maybe even 7 years for a street-driven car.

15. speeder37

speeder37 Karting

Nov 18, 2003
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Again, I said: For What it Was Worth.
    Just one persons thought process. The car is never in the rain, with so few miles, there is no reason to suspect the bearings.
    I'll measure the belts and compare to new after the change and report back.
    My owner's manual I believe says 52,500 miles

16. Shootfighter65

Shootfighter65 Formula 3

May 13, 2014
    Charleston SC
    Full Name:
    Randy..alluneedtokno

17. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Based on your past comments I assume you mean degree wheel cam timing and belt changes every 5 years. If so it is not hype. It is "best practices." It's getting a mammogram, colonoscopy, or teeth cleaned by the dentist. There are good reasons for the hype. You don't have to change anything until it breaks. In life each of us have our own risk reward profile.

18. Shootfighter65

Shootfighter65 Formula 3

May 13, 2014
    Charleston SC
    Full Name:
    Randy..alluneedtokno
    I agree its preventive and necessary... By hype a person shouldnt drive there 355 around white knuckling it because they think a belt might snap any second or if they go hard on the throttle the cam belts are stretching throwing the timing off

19. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal

Agreed! These cars are racecars with radios and need to be legally and appropriately exercised.

20. Shootfighter65

Shootfighter65 Formula 3

May 13, 2014
    Charleston SC
    Full Name:
    Randy..alluneedtokno
    I agree sir...