Camless Engine | FerrariChat

Camless Engine

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by clar, Dec 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. clar

clar Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2013
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clarence
    I have been waiting on this for years now. The industry seems to have gone silent on this and all we hear is hybrid and worst, turbo charging. Let's hope this technology is merely delayed, not canned:

AutoSpeed - Camless Engines

2. stevecomp

stevecomp Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2013
    South Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
  3. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Camshafts are wonderful devices even though they are 19th century technology. To get rid of them one needs a material to cushion the impact of the electromechanical tappet repeatedly and reliably. Otherwise what you have is effectively a square shaped cam lobe.

4. luke9583

luke9583 Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Detroit Michigan
    Full Name:
    Luke Wells
    Although not cam-less, I've always been interested in the "Coates" design as well.

5. clar

clar Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2013
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clarence
  6. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
  7. Exotica Motorsports

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Jason Godsil
    I have always been intrigue with the Coates system. I read all about the system when they first came out like 15 years ago but they have been silent since then for the most part.

8. stevecomp

stevecomp Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2013
    South Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
  9. rmitchell248

rmitchell248 Formula 3

May 26, 2013
    Nürburg
    Full Name:
    Robert

I haven't seen the video posted yet but eventually we will get there with actuators that replace the camshaft. The technology is there but the reliability is the next hurdle. I agree a camshaft is a wonderful bit of 19th century technology and at the center of a very very reliable valve train.

Switching to a computer controlled system with hundreds of individual moving parts will be quite complex to keep reliable. Especially considering one mishap could scrap a motor.

I'm all for it however. The tuning potential with an actuator based system would be simply amazing. Big nasty 'cam' profile one minute and then a nice smooth idle the next with the change of a single program.

10. stevecomp

stevecomp Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2013
    South Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    And an awesome built in Jake brake.