Manual 360 gear shift issue (3rd gear crunch) | FerrariChat

Manual 360 gear shift issue (3rd gear crunch)

Discussion in '360/430' started by Luke_sedz, Dec 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Luke_sedz

Luke_sedz Rookie

May 25, 2014
    Hi,
    I am new to the forum and I have read up as much as I can but I can't see anyone with the same problem as me.

I have a Manual 360 and have recently had a new clutch fitted. When I drive the car feels great but I can't get into 3rd gear. No matter what I do:

(2nd-3rd change)
    (4th-3rd change)
    (2nd-Neutral-3rd change)
    (4th-Neutral-3rd change)

When the car is parked I can get it into 3rd.

The gear shifter surround hasn't been removed so I dont think it is an issue with alignment of that, any other suggestions? When the car went to the garage it didn't have any issues with going into gear.

Thanks a lot
    Luke

2. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Luke, welcome to our board.

Since you have a new clutch I would assume you are under repair warranty.
    If I were you I would just take the car back to them ASAP and let them figure it out.

Dan

3. Luke_sedz

Luke_sedz Rookie

May 25, 2014
    Its not really that easy as its my friends garage and we are trying to find the fix together. Cheers

4. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
  5. Luke_sedz

Luke_sedz Rookie

May 25, 2014
    How would this cause a crunch into 3rd and no other gear?

6. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I understand better now.

Hopefully our resident experts here will chime in soon and give their opinion.

Dan

7. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    It really depends on how the original plastic bearing cracks. In my case, the car was virtually impossible to get into second gear until the transmission had warmed up. Others have seen different symptoms. Replacing it was straightforward and, as my wife said after driving it for the first time post-replacement, "it is like a totally different car and so much easier to drive."

Others have also noted that the shifter linkage cables (not sure if this is precisely the technical term) may also require adjustment, in case that is not something you have looked at.

8. Luke_sedz

Luke_sedz Rookie

May 25, 2014
    I've just filmed it whilst parked up.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1yCD8Gxt94"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1yCD8Gxt94[/ame]

9. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for the short video.

I think we have 3 members here that owns an independent shop. If they have not chimed in yet you may want to PM them and request assistance. I prefer I not voluntarily give out their names as they may not appreciate it.

Another option is perhaps either ask the moderators to revise your post title to a thread subject that will create more attention from experienced members or you create a new thread.

Something like: "Need help please from resident experts here re: transmission problems".

Dan

10. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    My bet is on a bad syncro. I seriously doubt it is only the shifter bushing.

11. Luke_sedz

Luke_sedz Rookie

May 25, 2014
    Is this classed as excess play in the shifter or is this normal?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gE-Z-uGUaA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gE-Z-uGUaA[/ame]

12. honda.vfr

honda.vfr Karting

Jun 22, 2012
    Ostrava, CZ (EU)
    Full Name:
    Milan Pukl
    This really seems to be a syncro problem.

Have you tried to double de-clutch and match the revs before shifting to 3rd?

13. tomoshea

tomoshea Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    Ireland
    Full Name:
    Tom O'Shea
    3rd gear synchro went on mine- been told it's the most common one to go, something to do with the way 3rd and 4th selector forks slide over a common rod - replaced the rods synchro and rod end bearings on mine. Parts aren't that expensive just labour of removing and replacing gearbox, from memory 430,360 and Maserati 4200,3200 parts are common - get in the mazer box about 40% cheaper if I recall correctly.

14. crisco

crisco Rookie

Jul 17, 2014
    The plastic bushing in the shifter is worn

15. Phemes

Phemes Rookie

Jul 16, 2012
    Bonner Springs, Kansas
    Full Name:
    Phil Hemes
    Have you tried bleeding it ?