4 post lift for my garage | FerrariChat

4 post lift for my garage

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by bocaf430, Dec 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    building the garage soon, not sure on which brand lift going with as of yet, but should I go with 10' ceilings ? someone said do 12' ceiling height, but is that really needed... seems like a very high ceiling for a residential home garage.. will be 2 sports cars in garage, not suv's, so I feel 12' ceiling height is over kill... thoughts?

2. Scott S

Scott S Rookie

Apr 7, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Scott Severson
    I have a 4-post Rotary Lift with 10.5 foot ceilings and have plenty of room for a 360 above an Acura sedan. I would not recommend anything under 10 feet, however. You should then also consider a wall-mounted garage door opener to free up space on your ceiling. I had to remove my traditional chain driven opener to free up enough space. Hope that helps.

3. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    In my new house i'll be at 11'6" with a Bentpak. Plenty of space. Side mounted Garage Door Opener.

4. REM9

REM9 Karting

Jun 17, 2001
    Finger Lakes NY, USA
    Full Name:
    Russ Moore
    A 12 foot will be appreciated down the road when you have something other than a low slung sports car you want to work on. Keep in mind this is a purchase you'll have for the next 20+ years. I have 2 and don't know how I got along without them years ago! Go for a lift that uses 220 volts. Once you have one you'll want a second.

Russ

5. Arnie

Arnie Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2011
    New Jersey
    I have a 10 foot ceiling with a Quality Lift 4 post. Side mounted garage door opener is a necessity. I have an RS7 on the bottom and 89 930 Porsche Cab on the top. No problem.

6. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Yes, 10' usually works for most people with small cars and being mindful of the door opener unit or going to a wall mounted motor.

That being said if you have the opportunity to go higher from the outset I'd do it. It's worth looking into (higher) just for the added flexibility down the road (taller cars). If there is nothing above the garage but you don't want to do full 12' wall which could throw off your house proportions, look into vaulted or sissor roof trusses where you would only have a portion of the ceiling higher just to give added options down the road

7. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    My two post is in my hangers, I have 11.5'. Would have liked more. Can't put the SUV and a car under it. If you can get 12' do it.

Art

8. Shaun Oriold1

Shaun Oriold1 Karting

Mar 21, 2008
    Burlington, Ontario. Canada
    Full Name:
    shaun
    I'll agree with the masses and say the 10' isnt idea. I've got 12 to the ceiling, but the door is down about 6" from that. With 10' you probably only have a realistic 9.5' which is tight.

The Liftmaster 8500 is a must too! and 220v power. I tell my customers that the lifts are cheap. Its the opener, door modifications, and power which add up fast.

9. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    which brand 4 post lift should I look at?

10. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    I have two Bend Paks and really like them (especially the air locks). There are cheaper units available but these are worth more to me. I had 10' in my former garages and they worked great for sports cars top and bottom. Go higher if you can as already said. I have 12' in the new garage I just built.

11. tvg

tvg Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2010
    I have to respectfully disagree about throwing off the proportions of the house with a tall ceiling. I recently built a house with 13ft ceilings in the garage specifically for the option of putting in a lift. I thought everyone built their houses around the garage :)

PS. My next door neighbor did ask my contractor when the house was going up if I was planning on storing a large boat in the garage!

12. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    If you want a serious lift, get the larger ceiling. If you are just a hobbiest and never think you will ever use it for real mechanical work or storage of anything other than a low slung sports car then 10'5" minimum.

13. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
  14. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #14 godabitibi, Dec 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    LOL, I have the 308 on top as it's a 100lbs lighter ;) and mine is set up on the other side of my garage. Makes it much easiser to reach the battery dead switch on the Testarossa on the passenger side of the car, so I don't lift that car.

But, yes,very similar ;)

Nice set up Claude !

16. Sally

Sally Karting

Jun 28, 2014
    #16 Sally, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have a bench pac and love it. Fits awesome in my garage. Took me about 3 hours to set up and get it in the ground. I got mine from northern tool and they ship it to your door step.

Mine is a 12ton lift and I got the one that kicks the posts out so you can open the doors of your car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  18. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    thanks ttforcefed

19. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    what do you think is the LOWEST ceiling height one can have to stack a 308 and TR?

20. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    art I wld guess 10 ft but it might be close....

21. Arnie

Arnie Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2011
    New Jersey
    I also used Autoquip they are great. I have a 10 foot ceiling as long as you do not plan to use an SUV either above or below it will not be a problem. 12 is better but not necessary in all instances. I have an Audi RS 7 on the lower level and it is a big car and a Porsche on top and I have plenty of room.

22. Sally

Sally Karting

Jun 28, 2014

My buddy just did a garage with 9.5 tall walls. He got a 91 mustang on a four post lift and a car under it.

Is that your garage? If so can you tell me about your 93 cobra?

23. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    most of the four post lifts have a track/tire rail height of 5"-7". Take that plus the heights of the two cars and you'll be close to your minimum. Don't forget door openers or anything mounted on the cieling.

I could squeeze my 348 and esprit on a bend pak under a 9' with a clear ceiling.

24. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    If you look at my picture above with my 9'4'' garage I'd say 8'6'' would do it but with nothing in the way like my lighting. And if for winter storage only you can save a bit by removing the wheels on the upper car and leave it on blocks on the lift.