One more plea | FerrariChat

One more plea

Discussion in '206/246' started by Tycho, Dec 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tycho

Tycho Rookie

Mar 11, 2008
    Recently I asked for advice re the loosening of alternator fasteners. No response.

I checked the archives, two submissions. One said, just remove the under fender cover and there it is. Just loosen. The other said, go under the car and then piece a cake, just undo using an extension.

I must doubt that either of these submitters had ever loosened those nuts.

So, one last request for help : how does one loosen the two nuts securing the alternator without removing the engine.

An alternate question : is it possible to remove the exhaust pipes without engine removal? ( I won't but it is tempting to cut then splice the pipes back. One pays to remain original. )

Thank you

2. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    It can be done, that is, to remove the alternator. However, it is dirty and tedious and proper tools and lift help a great deal.

It will also depend upon whether you have an early or late car, with or without the waffle aluminum shield that carries the air pump as well along with the associated clutch, etc.

In either event;

1) make sure to disconnect the battery first.
    2) remove the wheel on right (passenger) side
    3) remove stone guard
    (so far - nothing brilliant)
    4) loosen the alternator belt swivel bolt and locking bolt in the long slide-guide (not describing this well).

Comment: if you have the waffle air pump shield, you must remember that there is as thick washer spacer to keep track of. As you remove the long bolt that the unit pivots on, the spacer will fall out. (trying to bring this all back in from memory).

Also, when upside down looking up - it is easy to try to turn the bolt the wrong way and you end up tightening instead of loosening.

I do not believe that there is a nut on the end of the bolt - I believe it threads into the aluminum shield. If an early model then there is a nut on the end of the bolt (nylock).

It really is will depend upon whether you have an air pump set up or not. Please respond with presence or absence of the air pump and we can proceed from there.

Also, leave the wires on the back of the alternator if you can. Unplug the 60 amp and 8 amp wires from the firewall fuse block and try to keep them on if at all convenient. In that way you will be able to examine the location of the wires for reassembly. There are 4 tabs on the back of the alternator and you want to get the correct one if possible without having to do a complete re-creation of Faraday's Law.

By the way, what is the reason for removing the alternator? Perhaps it is worthy of discussion before going to all of the trouble.

Jim S.

3. daviekj

daviekj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2008
    UK
    #3 daviekj, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Now that's the way to describe something. Fool proof.
    If only I was that clever!!

Tony

5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Before fitting my engine I went to an alternator shop and had it tested. No problems found. Within the first few KM of driving on the road would you believe the alternator failed! It was a genuine 12 hours to remove and replace it on a car that was perfectly clean, fully restored, with the luxury of a lift and lots of tools. Sure I was careful not to scratch anything but this care did not slow me down too much.

Maybe it is a little easier on the later cars which I believe have a relief cut into the fuel tank but on the earlier cars when all of the factory installed heat shields are in place it is a massive job. I had to remove all of the heat shields, totally remove the oil cooler (essential for access), and totally unbolt and move aside the forward exhaust header in order to gain the access to pull the alternator out. Even then it had to be articulated at 'just' the right angle to get it out.

Not one week later a friend needed help with the alternator on his Hyundai. In and out in 12 minutes without the slightest rush. Even so I'll still take the Dino :)

6. dino clay

dino clay Karting

Oct 31, 2007
    san mateo, cal
    Full Name:
    clay cavanaugh
    you have to remove the front exh to reove the engine, early euro dino and yes, you canre move alt bolts if your slim or arnold if you are not so slim.luck
    clay