F430 Sports Cats | FerrariChat

F430 Sports Cats

Discussion in '360/430' started by akshon, Jan 6, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. akshon

akshon Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    Searched all possible threads and there seems to be no conclusion.

Which Ferrari f430 Cats will not trigger a check engine light?

Read that f430 was more sensitive to sport cats changes and throws cel.
    Also it seems the larger the surface area of the sports cats helps reduce possibility of cel.

Can you eliminate cel with a reflash in any case without long term damage to the car?
    Also I already have a novitec flash installed on car would this mean I will get no cel?

From what I know there are the following cats available.

1. Hyperflow
    2. Capristo
    3. X-ost
    4. Fabspeed

Anyone actually installed any of the above without issue?

Fabspeed seems to be guaranteed CEL for US cars.

Im really curious if anyone actually has hyperflow, xost, or capristo cats without software and without cel currently.

2. sunir

sunir Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2014
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sunir
    Interested in the answer to this also. I've been told Capristo sport cats and headers combo is a good one but want to keep options open to learn more.

3. Tio

Tio Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Harry
    From a personal experience, I have figured out that if you have aftermarket headers then any sport cat will trigger a CEL.
    Tried 3 different makes and had the same result.
    Even had a specific remap that brought a total of 540bhp but still a CEL.
    So now i went back to stock cats and got rid of the CEL permanently.

Now, bare in mind that some tuners will deactivate the sensors in the cats that trigger the CEL, but those sensors are there for a reason and shouldn't be messed with.
    Also Capristo do this little gadget that tricks the sensors to thinking that the CATS are stock, but then again, it eliminates the operation of these sensors and if you ever have faulty cats you will never know and might have catastrophic results to your engine.

Having said that, everyone can make their own decisions.

4. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    We use 200-cell HJS catalytic converter cores in our 430 sports cats. These cores are extremely high quality and easily the best manufactured cores on the market at this time. While these cores have an extremely high flow rate, they retain the capability of filtering emissions effectively for most applications. That being said, while the vast majority of our customers using our sport cats on their 430 do NOT have a CEL, it is possibility that a CEL could be triggered (but not probable). The reason a CEL is possible is because some cars are more sensitive to change then others.

If for some reason your car is throwing a CEL after you installed the sport cats, an ECU tune will be able to desensitize the rear o2 sensor - along with providing a substantial power gain!

5. akshon

akshon Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    Tio,

Thanks for the response.

So it seems the cats do make power but at the cost of a CEL without rendering cat sensors useless.

Can you share which brands you tried?

Do you know around how much HP you lost going back to stock cats from your 540 BHP with them?

I also have cat less headers so might now be worth it for me.

6. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    Capristo simulator only tricks the ECU between preset values, once a value is exceeded due to an actual fault a CEL is triggered, they would not sell a product that would allow an owner to unknowingly drive a faulty car.
    I run Capristo headers, sports cars and muffler and although I have a simulator I haven't needed to fit it as no CELS have been triggered. (16M)

7. Tio

Tio Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Harry
    Hi Akshon,

I would say sports cats account to roughly a 10bhp increase and roughly 15-20 ft.lb.
    The sound is also much louder, which I admit, I did like.
    OK, I didn't want to mention this, but since Joe chimed in, yes it was Fabspeed HJS that I used together with their headers.
    Don't get me wrong here, I am not trying to put down Fabspeed or their products, but this is coming from an honest customer point of view:
    The Fabspeed Headers were brilliant and they even went into trouble to help me create custom blankets for them.
    The cats though, although they performed as I have described above, they triggered the CEL.
    My point is that, when it comes to sell these cats, Fabspeed should be honest with the customers and mention that it could probably trigger a CEL, rather than misleading the client, thinking that he can get away with spacers or ecu retunes.

To be perfectly honest, once I complain to them, they have taken the cats back and gave me credit for other products which I appreciate and I praise them for it.

Ok, What I have learned from this and I would like to share it is:
    The car's ECU wants to see a reading from the secondary cats between 450-650 milliamperes.
    Anything above or below will trigger a ECU.
    Unfortunately, no manufacturer will guarantee that no CEL will be triggered and that also includes Capristo.

I have also bought their simulator and what it does, is that it records the readings of the stock secondary cats that the car has and then once you change your cats, it basically sends those old readings back to the ECU so the ECU thinks that the stock cats are still on.
    Now, since these readings are already prerecorded Russell, even if the cats go bad, the readings send to the ECU will be the same, so their effectiveness is disabled.
    I am very glad that you managed to fit all three items with no CEL.
    You must be one of the very few!

8. akshon

akshon Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    Tio appreciate the response. Thanks for your honest opinion which probably saved me the hassle to find out for my self. I also have fabspeed headers and will just stick with that.

9. V1PERMAN

V1PERMAN Rookie

Aug 21, 2014
    Florida/Tennessee
    Full Name:
    David
    I just installed the Hyper-flow cats and no CEL.
    Stock manifolds and Capristo muffler.

10. Tio

Tio Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Harry
    If a supplier/manufacturer could guarantee that there will be no CEL with their cats ( if when they are installed together with catless headers) , then I would buy them immediately.
    If a CEL appears, then they should offer full money back guarantee, including installation costs.
    Whoever can confidently guarantee this, they will sell lots of sports cats.

11. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    Capristo can if you fit their simulator!

12. sunir

sunir Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2014
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sunir
    Everyone wants sports (hi-Flow) cats which are not as restrictive coupled with a robust set of sport headers. But nobody wants CEL or most would like to avoid the hassle of having to use a simulator or do a tune or something to have to trick the ECU. Manufactures should step up and come up with an "ideal" solution for a lightweight, robust, more free flow and power producing solution.

13. Tio

Tio Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Harry
    +1000000
    Couldn't have said it better!
    No gimmicks, spacers, simulators, ecu sensor deactivation, that handicap the ecu's ability to dedect potential faults.
    Just a decent set of cats!!!

I hope they are all listening!

14. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    Hmmmm! Me thinks there is a misunderstanding of why a CEL is triggered!

15. Tio

Tio Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Harry
    #15 Tio, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
    The car's ECU wants to see a reading from the secondary cats between 450-650 milliamperes.
    Anything above or below will trigger a CEL

16. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    If anyone has a set that they want to sell please PM me.

17. akshon

akshon Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    New cat on the market from Evoflow. Hoping this is the one without the cel.

18. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Just fit Redback Mini Cats, this will prevent a cell

19. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I have capristo cats on my otherwise stock 06 430 and I have no CEL lights.

the cats slightly changed the tone of the exhaust - will probably add a capristo exhaust soon

one slight negative from installing the cap cats is the backpressure popping and rumbling has subsided a bit