Trip to Scottsdale - need advice | FerrariChat

Trip to Scottsdale - need advice

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by mikesufka, Jan 7, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Gentleman -

I'm planning on coming to Scottsdale in February - hopefully over February 7th (Saturday) so I can attend the Cars & Coffee.

My thoughts on what to do would be the Cars & Coffee, a steak at City Hall (been there several times before - it's tradition), hike Camelback in the mornings, possibly rent a Harley or some "fun car" for a day, etc... Basically just enjoy the sun. The plan is to fly in Friday night late and leave Wednesday afternoon.

Recommendations on where to stay? We've always stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on Scottsdale Road and Thomas. Nothing fancy, but within walking distance to Old Town Scottsdale. I wouldn't mind upgrading to a resort, if it's worth it. I just want to be able to get to food and/or drink and have a pool.

How far is Scottsdale from the Mesa airport? I could fly direct from St. Cloud, MN, to Mesa, which would be simple and easy or I could drive down to Minneapolis ( ~ 70 miles ) and fly into Phoenix. Not sure which would be easier.

Has anyone rented a Jeep in Cave Creek / Care Free and did the trails? Are there other good hiking trails within a short distance of Scottsdale besides Camelback?

Any thoughts? Just not sure exactly what I want to do. I've been to Scottsdale maybe a half dozen times, so I know my way around a little. Just looking for recommendations.

Thanks,

Mike

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Mike...Our friends took us here about 2 years ago, and was the first place they went out to eat when they moved to Scottsdale from Tucson a few weeks ago.

Veneto Trattoria
    6137 N Scottsdale Rd
    Scottsdale, AZ 85250
    Phone number (480) 948-9928
    venetotrattoria.com

I don't eat out Italian that often since most places pale in comparison to my dear Sicilian grandma's cooking, but this was very good. Have a great trip to AZ...T

3. GNALUZU

GNALUZU Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Mesa airport is pretty far from Scottsdale, but if you are renting a car it doesn't really matter that much. If you are planning on taking a cab, I would probably fly into Phoenix.

For hotels, I would recommend this Hilton Garden Inn Directions to Hilton Garden Inn Scottsdale Old Town

It is in the middle of Old Town and you will be able to walk everywhere.

There are plenty or resorts to look at, but it really is going to depend on what you want to spend. You could always try priceline and look for a 4 star resort in Scottsdale. There should be a lot of options.

4. MiuraP400

MiuraP400 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2008
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Flying into Mesa will add ~25 miles to your drive to Scottsdale versus flying into Phoenix. The Mesa airport is very small in comparison which has some good points and bad points. Make sure you understand the rental car situation before landing in Mesa, Phoenix will not be a problem with a rental car.

cheers Jim

5. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Rental car situation ?????

6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    My recollection is that Sky Harbor has a really new, well organized rental car center (to be fair, we arrived off-peak). Wife and I rented were in/out lickety split compared to other large airports we have been to/from recently (w/ the exception of renting from Silver Car, which has thus far been universally w/o a hitch).

I believe that Hertz will also rent you a Ferrari California as part of their "Dream Cars" collection at Sky Harbor, in case you want to roll in style in Scottsdale! :)

BTW, our friends live in Scottsdale and work in Mesa and they tell us that traffic is not bad as long as you are going against the majority flow, which IIRC is toward Scottsdale in AM and away from Scottsdale in the PM (one of the locals please correct me if I am mis-remembering here)…T

7. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
  8. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    1. The Sky Harbor rental car facility is very efficient, but you need to pack a lunch for the bus ride a long distance west of the airport.

2. Hertz has had various luxury cars for rent, including as you noted Ferrari California at, if I recall correctly $2K a day....my wife asked last January. I also noticed that National (now my chosen rental car vendor) had Maseratti available last month in Phoenix.

3. The commute traffic when ASU is in session and the snow birds have arrived is tough on all major freeways. There is a little relief in/out of the center city if you are going the opposite direction of the suburb commuters. Oddly though, 101 will be a parking lot in both direction during the peaks.

9. MiuraP400

MiuraP400 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2008
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Its a small airport. I do not know what rental car places support the Mesa airport. They all support the Phoenix airport with thousands of cars.

Cheer Jim

10. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Thanks for the responses. Plan is we have a condo just a few blocks North of Camelback Mountain off of O'Shea (?) and planning on flying into Mesa and renting a car.

Can't wait for Cars & Coffee - it's been a few years.

CopterJon - will send you a PM.

Mike

11. AZ-Giallo

AZ-Giallo Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    David
    #11 AZ-Giallo, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
    The Pavilions are at Loop 101 and Indian Bend
    https://goo.gl/maps/Ezy5w

The Ferrari's and Lambo's are at the First Saturday Motorsports Gathering at the Shops at Gainey Village put on by Scuderia Southwest. Their web site is here: Scuderia Southwest
    I'll touch base with some of the guys to see if we can to put together a one time get together at the Pavillions.

12. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    #12 Ingenere, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If its been a few years, you will be amazed at the growth of the event.

The number, quality and depth of cars is outstanding, and the crowds keep getting bigger!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Guys -

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Nerd - We need to spend Tuesday night at a hotel so we're gonna hit the Valley Ho.

Ingenere - Can't wait to check out your CS. I have not had the opportunity to look one over.

I think the last time I was at "C & C", it was in June (maybe 2008?) and we had our Harley's shipped in and we left from there to head back to MN. I had chatted with CopterJon and Ezored(Dennis) - both great guys.

MDS

14. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    I like breakfast at the Valley Ho, but if you happen to go in search of dinner and only want a very short walk, I was pleasantly surprised by The House Brasserie on my last trip. It is only a block or two east of the hotel. While Anthony Bourdain would probably torch the place for calling themselves a Brasserie, their modern interpretations were actually quite good! As you know, lots of options in Old Town.

The House Brasserie in Old Town Scottsdale, Arizona

15. GNALUZU

GNALUZU Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Great restaurant. My wife and I love it along with The Mission (Latin Fusion place also owned by the same people).

16. m5trol

m5trol Rookie

Nov 6, 2011
    Restaurants:

Sushi:

1. Roka Akor
    2. Nobou at Teeter House (No relation to Nobu at 5th nyc and others)

Italian

1. North at Kierland
    2. Avanti
    3. Venetto
    4. Pizzeria Bianco

Latin and Mexican

1. Deseo at Westin
    2. Frank and Lupe's

Thai

1. Thai Rama (Phoenix, there are others but I prefer Phoenix)

Chinese

1. Szechwan Palace in Phoenix (by the chinese culture center)

Hotels:

1. W Camelback
    2. Westin Kierland
    3. JW Marriott
    4. Hilton Scottsdale
    5. Phoenecian Camelback

Events:

1. Cars and Coffee at Gainey Village
    2. Several track events at Arizona Motorsports Park and Wildhorsepass Racetrack depending on your dates

17. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    This thread is making me miss Scottsdale...

Second vote for The Mission. So many good places to eat...

18. m5trol

m5trol Rookie

Nov 6, 2011
    Mission is great for braised short rib tacos and the guac is amazing. Unfortunately my barometer for recommendation includes how a place treats seafood in this desert and boy did they blow it on that count.

19. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    +1 for North at Kierland for Italian

Would add Zinc Bistro, also at Kierland, for French...

Ciao!

Hannibal

20. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Two more restaurants for you ...

Sushi Ko at 90th and Shea in Scottsdale. I've been going there for 25 years. Place is excellent.

Casa Mia restaurant for Italian. At 136th Street and Via Linda. One of best in town and prices are excellent. One of the owners is the local independent Ferrari service shops

Steve

21. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    We were surprised to find that Rental cars at the airport seriously gouge you on price and can cost twice as much as the same outfit outside of the airport. While the airport offers convenience and rental pickup 24/7, if you're departing during business hours for your return outbound flight then I suggest you take a taxi to an off site rental agency and save a bunch $.

We found a rental dealership with discount rates just a few blocks away from Valley Ho which makes it very convenient. We fly in and arrive late, take a $20 taxi to the hotel, have dinner, drinks and crash. Get up in the morning walk down the street and check in at the rental dealersip.

For a 2 week trip this saves hundred$

22. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    TONTO Bar & Grill at Rancho Manana is very good.

BIANCO to me, has the best pizza and pasta. Located in nearby Phoenix, near the Biltmore.
    For something quick, In-N-Out burger They have the best service of just about any burger joint.

23. Ferrari328GT

Ferrari328GT Karting

Jan 6, 2008
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #23 Ferrari328GT, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
    After you hit Cars and Coffee, come up to Fountain Hills for the second annual "Concours in the Hills". Spectator hours are 10:00 am to 2:00 pm. Concours in the Hills :: Home It's held right on the grass at the world famous fountain, and this year there should be about 300 cars, mostly collector and exotic stuff. Weather should be perfect. -Steve

24. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Thanks everyone.

Any recommendations on hiking trails near Old Town? I know about Echo Canyon.

MDS

PS: Rented a HD Road Glide for Monday and per Copterjon's advice, running to Globe, Roosevelt Lake, and back. Should be a nice scenic loop.

25. Ferrari328GT

Ferrari328GT Karting

Jan 6, 2008
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Not too many hiking trails near Old Town. Echo Canyon is good, but it's Grand Central Station -- wall-to-wall people. However, in NE Scottsdale, there are lots of good trails in the McDowell Mountains, off Shea Blvd and 124th St, and Shea Blvd and 136th St. Perfect hiking weather. -Steve