Auction Week Local Activities | FerrariChat

Auction Week Local Activities

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by Daytona Rick, Jan 6, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Coming down out of the cold to judge at the AZ Concours and spend some time at all the auctions. Any locally planned activities between the various Exotic and Hot Rod/Muscle Car clubs? Any cruise nights planned? Curious minds want to know.

2. PhillipsLT5

PhillipsLT5 Rookie

Apr 14, 2013
    Scottsdale Pavillions will be packed both 10 & 17th SAT

3. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Will the Ferrari people be in one specific area? Is this like a cars 'n coffee?

4. PhillipsLT5

PhillipsLT5 Rookie

Apr 14, 2013
    Cars are parked in rows that are labeled for specific years, 17th no rows labeled, up for grabs, best used car lot in town, most will be for sale, not too many exotics, mostly muscle, Mark the owner of Mickey D's has a few Ferrari's

5. Upshift

Upshift Rookie

Oct 6, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Franz
    Rick,

In my experience, the Pavilions show has a very small number of exotics compared with Cars and Coffee. I have parked at the Pavilions with the PCA a few times when we had a couple of rows reserved only for Porsches, but the other times I've been there it was mainly Corvettes, Mustangs, and modded rice-rockets. January would definitely be the best month to attend though. Better selection this month than any other.

6. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Can anyone tell me approx. where Scottsdale Pavillions is located? Cross streets? Also what time range does this occur? We fly in around 10:00 am. thanks

7. PhillipsLT5

PhillipsLT5 Rookie

Apr 14, 2013
    Scottsdale Pavilions Shopping Center
    Celebrating over 20 years! The longest consistently run car show!
    Makes:All
    Models:All
    Every Saturday at 2:00PM
    9140 E. Indian Bend Rd.
    Rock & Roll McDonald's
    Scottsdale, AZ
    (480) 443-0080 for info
    Pima & Indian Bend - Pima & Indian Bend
    The Pavilions car show is free to both the public and car owners alike. Whether you come to see the classic cars and bikes, talk to the owners, or you are just looking for tips and ideas for your classic, this is the show for you.
    Great family fun with music, food and great shopping in the Pavilions shopping center!

It should be up & rolling by the time you land going until sunset, when it cools down, the older crowd leaves and then the kids with the rice show up for the second shift

8. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Anyone else heading to Scottsdale for the weekend? I'm going the 15th through the 19th. Looking forward to RM and a couple of others. Wouldn't be caught dead at BJ. Can't afford Russo's spectator fee. Silver, Gooding, Bonhams, ...?

9. hmfic1

hmfic1 Karting

Aug 15, 2011
    Scottsdale
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Gooding is a great to go to, not that expensive, and some great cars. At Scottsdale Fashion Square, lots of eye candy too,

10. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    #10 bushwhacker, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
    I was there today in the rain...too many peeps. Will post pics later.

11. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    #11 bushwhacker, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    OK, it's 7:30 am Tuesday and it's raining...hmm?, I wonder if it will stop? A couple of cups of coffee and breakfast go by and it's 9:30 and still pouring down, crap maybe I'll just wait a couple of days and it will be nice out...screw it... I'm going to Barrett-Jackson today even in the rain, besides there will no one there in such lousy weather. Now it's 10:am and I leave the house...it rains all the way to BJ, sometimes heavy. What's this, a cazillion cars lined up at the entrance to get in...WTF?
    I pop for valet parking to avoid the long walk in the rain to the gate...how much? Twenty bucks to park?...Geez!
    OK ,finally at the ticket booth and it's another $30 for a ticket...I' Haven't even walked in the door and it's $50 already.
    This place is big and you can walk a few miles to see everything so I rent a golf cart because I have a bad leg that won't hold up too long walking...there's another $70, I've now spent $120 and haven't seen anything.
    I have been going to BJ for over twenty years and it keeps getting better and worse at the same time. It's just too damn crowded, too many peeps...it makes Disneyland on a summers day look like a ghost town.
    It's impossible to get good pics at this event because the cars are packed in like sardines, you can't even get a good 3/4 shot of a car because there's just not enough room.
    The outside tents where a number of the cars are have poles every 10 feet or so and you can't get a clear shot of a car without the poles being in the shot. The light inside the tents is dark as well making exposure a nightmare, especially the inside rows of cars.
    The giant building / tent must be a half mile long and it's lit by a cazillion lights that create a cazillion reflections in the cars, it's dark as well. Don't get me wrong, if you just want to walk around the cars that's fine but don't plan on getting any great shots.
    If you do rent a golf cart to get around it's limited to the outside of all the buildings and tents, you are not even allowed to take the cart on the inside of the outdoor tents You must park the cart outside which limits you to the outside displays and food stands.
    Speaking of food, every type of fair food is there, it's a junk food paradise so you can pig out to your hearts content or maybe goes into cardiac arrest.
    One pet peeve of mine is there is no where to sit down with the exception of a designated area where the food stands are and the aluminum bleachers inside the auction hall. Of course if you're a bidder there are chairs on the auction floor that are available.
    The giant inside venue needs to have some type of seating whether it be benches or chairs to accommodate those that need a place to rest...look around... there is an older demographic that attends this event...are you listening Barrett-Jackson? I think you can pop for some seating throughout this event, inside and out.
    Well I promised you some pics and here are a few. As I stated before getting good pictures of cars at BJ is a challenge so I took a few but also some local color of the event including vendors of every type to spend a few extra bucks for goodies and $10 hot dogs.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    I seriously need that 456 and that hotdog :)

13. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
  14. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    How was the art? Price range?

The one shot or art you posted looked like the photo manipulation we spoke about in the past.

Would love to get a feel of what the market is like there given the $$$$ they want to display.

15. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis

The art this year was disappointing. Not that many booths and mostly Giclee prints on canvas...BFD?
    The two panel painting of the Chevrolet in the shot I took said it was oil with a price tag I beleive of $3,600, it was original.
    I was hoping to see my friend Bill Motta representing AFAS but they were not there, in the past they were. Maybe the booth cost was just too high ?
    Probably less than ten art booths at BJ mixed in with all the other stuff for sale.
    A couple of the booths were multi walled and large displaying a lot of art...mostly prints.
    One booth had a young woman artist working on a painting she was doing of Steve McQueen on his motorcycle from 'The Great Escape'.
    The booths seemed to not have much traffic in them at the time I was there.
    One display I didn't see was the poster guy with tons of large automotive posters to sell at BJ...maybe he was there and I just missed him?

16. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    I'm still going. Going to RM Friday because its a free open day for spectators at the Biltmore. Maybe Gooding the same day because it's close at the mall. Russo on Saturday because I think its the best deal for the entry fee and it is way easy to get to. Sunday I might just take a field trip.

17. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    #17 bushwhacker, Jan 14, 2015
    Oh yeah, BJ has a number of jewelery and women's clothing booths plus you can try out a 'Sleep Number Bed' as well at their exhibit. Stuff not even related to the automotive or transportation industry is prevalent everywhere, Geez !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    BJ is all about the carnival atmosphere. And the bucks. Mercenaries.

19. Imperial Stormtrooper

May 7, 2014
    Far, Far Away
    Full Name:
    George
    I went to the RM auctions preview last night (my first classic car auction)- free valet, free admission, very nice/upscale (it was at The Biltmore) and not crowded, and got to see some great cars in person for the first time (a Bugatti, a couple 300SL Gullwings, a couple BB512's, a couple 250GT's, a couple Testarossa's, a 288 GTO, etc.). I should have taken pics, but I'm a newbie, so I was like a kid in the proverbial candy store :)

20. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    All the auction houses had a great variety of cars this year. The week went fantastic with the Concours starting up the week. Enzo's Calif. Spyder came in second in my class. Owner had it for 41 yrs. Concours is shaping up to match Pebble Beach and Amelia Island. All the auctions were fun, gee took over 1200 pictures. My camera needed a rest. Ok Cavillino next.

21. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    #22 vvassallo, Jan 20, 2015
    RM Preview
    $2.75M for a 288 GTO. Record price and new value? Hope not.
    $8M was the asking on the 246LM. We thought this was the "dispute" car (formerly wrecked) that has another version with the same serial no. running around.
    When did you last see a Ferrari FXX on US soil?
    Red 246 GTB is an "L" for light and should be an alloy car. We couldn't find the aluminum on it.

22. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    #23 vvassallo, Jan 20, 2015
    More Ferraris and exotics than usual here.
    348 TB went for $42K - nice car
    68 AMX for $23K! I should have bought it.
    #6 is a TR250 recreation that was allegedly a $1.5M project.
    #7 is a Black Widow Rippey Motorsports ZR1. As rare as it gets. Faster than a C6 Z06.
    #8 456M GTA was about the best I ever saw.
    #9 owner of this sold and bought a 67 427 Vette coupe L88 recreation. It was gorgeous.
    Lamborghini Gallardo was a 2004 6-speed RWD. It looked to have been modified as such and not factory. Very cool. Should have been e-trans and AWD.
    Lambo Jalpa waiting for the block. Think they were looking at into 6 digits. Good luck.

23. PhillipsLT5

PhillipsLT5 Rookie

Apr 14, 2013
    Did #7 Rippie ZR-1 sell? If so how much? They made 8 of those

24. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    It isn't listed on their auction web site. There were 3 ZR-1's at the auction that I recall. One '90, a '91 and this one. I'll keep looking.