355 Heater ECU - Repair ? | FerrariChat

355 Heater ECU - Repair ?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Jaz, Jan 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jaz

Jaz Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    JAZ
    Hi all

I need to send my 355 heater ECU for repair. Its been removed already and sat in the garage.

I recall reading / hearing that there is a company in the UK / USA that can repair it, to make good again and can then post it back to me.

Does anyone know who can repair it for me ?

A new one is out of the question, Ferrari do not have anymore / VERY hard to get hold of.

Appreciate your help on this.

2. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    To take a step back, what are the symptoms that caused you to determine that the heater ecu has failed?

3. Jaz

Jaz Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    JAZ
    Ferrari dealer has tested it and its blown.

4. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    But what were the symptoms that caused you to take it to Ferrari in the first place? No heat? Blower motor not turning on? Air diverter not working? If nothing is happening when you turn the HVAC knobs, have you checked the HVAC fuse burried under the trunk carpeting? That fuse was blown in mine and causing my HVAC to not work at all. Replacing that fuse fixed everything.

5. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    same issue on my car.
    the day after I bought it, the air controls died?
    the car was blowing hot air the day before. too ironic it dies on me the next day.
    I already knew the AC was not functioning, for which I already bought new compressor from Bruce here. it will be installed in spring.

however I have zero heat, and fans don't even blow/turn on
    I pushed/tried everything but nothing worked.

install of new compressor and diagnosis of no air will be the first thing i do in spring.

that being said I hope it's just the fuse.

6. LAracer

LAracer Karting

Jan 4, 2008
    Northern NM
    Full Name:
    Phil
  7. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Is there an ecu just for the system or are you referring to the HVAC control box?

8. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Im sure he is call ing the control box an ECU i dont know of a separate one.

9. LAracer

LAracer Karting

Jan 4, 2008
    Northern NM
    Full Name:
    Phil
  10. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
  11. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
  12. LAracer

LAracer Karting

Jan 4, 2008
    Northern NM
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Sorry to revive this old thread, but maybe I'm allowed to since I posted in it :)

As you can see, it's been 6 years since I was thinking about my climate control ECU, and I never did get it fixed. I have the whole system kludged so that air is always on recirculate, air always comes out the dash vents, air can be either full-hot or full cold, and the AC compressor seems to be permanently on. It actually works well enough for weekend driving, and at least I can change the speed of the blower. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one living in this situation, right?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's the 6 chips (or some combination of them) in the climate control ECU that need replacing. But I live in the middle of nowhere, so there's nowhere I could take it for repair that I would trust. And I'm not skillful enough with electronics that I could replace chips myself. Does anyone know of somewhere I can send the ECU and the replacement chips to that can perform the replacement?

I'm about 1 year away from my second belt service on this car (a '98 3-pedal B), and it would be really nice to have this finally fixed at that time.

Thanks in advance!

13. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
  14. Zamboniman308

Zamboniman308 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Fixing it is one thing.. I resoldered new chips myself, but in the process also discovered that the valve/motors were also problematic which I speculate as a possible root cause to the need of the ECU repair. I recommend validating the proper operation of the motors prior plugging in a repaired ECU otherwise it may be a fruitless effort. In my case both the recirculation motor and the heater core valve motor were bad. The valve motor had self destructed internally. It did work when given the full gusto of a 12V battery but in the process was pulling abnormally high current and was operating intermittently. The fix was the replacement kit from Ricambi not cheap. Likewise the recirc motor was gunked up. These are still available. On mine I refurbed it requiring careful destructive disassembly clean out the waxy grease and most importantly get the internal motor back in shape by flushing with ample electrical cleaner and exercising again with a 12V battery in both directions until reliable operation. I'm fully operational at this point with exception of my AC which needs recharging.

15. LAracer

LAracer Karting

Jan 4, 2008
    Northern NM
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Thanks emac. Will contact that place and maybe google for other similar ones.

Zamboniman308: absolutely! There are many threads on these issues, and in my case I've narrowed the problem down to the ECU. Someone unfamiliar should do the googling first. There's a reasonably recent thread here that might help someone: New owner with ventilation problem | FerrariChat