Run Flat Tires | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Run Flat Tires

Discussion in '360/430' started by colandreo, Jan 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Both good ideas except I would worry about there being enough C02 in the last kit to fill a 305/30 19 tire. Sounds like the kit is optimized for small tired vehicles.

2. allen_993

allen_993 Karting

Jul 3, 2006
    Alabama
    Full Name:
    Allen
    I hate runflats...they came on my bimmer...I replaced them at 800 miles. They ride hard & loud. My car does have a spare though.

3. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Yeah, it originally was developed for motorcycles, then was expanded to automotive applications. I don't know if there's enough CO2 to fill such a large tire, so it's good to have an electric pump onboard, too. In fact, I have the kit that doesn't have the CO2 cartridges, as I have such a pump.

4. colandreo

colandreo Karting

Oct 14, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Brian Colandreo
    Thank you for the info. I was hoping to get a lead on a good kit! Any particular compressor you use?

5. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I have the standard compressor that comes with the 360.

6. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    #31 bisel, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Amazon has a good selection of compressors for reasonable prices.

8. honda.vfr

honda.vfr Karting

Jun 22, 2012
    Ostrava, CZ (EU)
    Full Name:
    Milan Pukl
    Hmm.. If you have TPMS on your 360 then you can use run flats. Its worthless if you dont, how will you notice that the tire deflates during driving, until you destroy the run flat after some miles?? Just my opinion

9. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Run flats wear really fast. And they are expensive. And feel like bricks. And traction sucks.

10. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Other than that, they're fine, as they roll and hold up the car. :)

11. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    Run flats are just crap... major compromise. The spray in flat fix is also major crap with limited results. If you get a sidewall slice, the spray will not do the fix. I spent the $$$ and got the spare tire kit. Hope I never need it, but if I do, I will be back on the road quick!!!!! I may have to stash the flat on the side of the road and come back later with my truck to get it.

12. Masher44

Masher44 F1 World Champ

Jan 15, 2008
    Run flats suck dog balls

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Milan- No OEM TPMS on the 360. It was an option on the F430 until 2008, when it became standard in the US and mandated. It was standard on the 575M and subsequent V12s.

14. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Recommend a small inflator and a repair kit that uses the sticky brown or black ropes for plugs. Don't forget to stash a pair of long nose pliers with the kit to extract the offending nail/screw/whatever. And don't forget to buy a new tube of glue every now and then as they will harden up and be useless when you need it.

The rope-based plugs are the best because they will not tear through by the belts in the tire. The plain rubber plugs will run the risk of tearing through over time due to the sharp edges of the internal steel belts. Many shop owners will say never plug a V or Z rated tire but I've been doing it for 15 years and never had a plug fail. Once I had 3 plugs in my left front tire alone and they lasted for the life of the tire with no problems.

Remember to slather a lot of glue when using the file bit and on the sticky plug in the repair kit. If you live in or near a new development count on lots of nail flats.

My Ferrari is a new purchase and does not have a spare or a jack! Haven't got a flat yet on it but if I do the plug kit will be my friend as long as I can find a small jack to stow with it as well. Good luck.

15. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I would certainly plug the tire to get home and then pay $10 for a proper internal patch. Cheap insurance

16. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Terry
    I am contemplating getting a compressor and will probably cut off the alligator clips and solder on a CTEK pigtail that I can plug into my battery tender connector.
    Alan

17. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Exactly what I did. You can get the CTEK connectors on Amazon. I left the cigarette lighter connector on also so I can use in other cars if need be. I carry Bon-Air compressors in all our cars. (Also sold as Sears Craftsman) These are great little units and can also inflate the rear tires on our farm tractor to 125 psi in just a few minutes.

Regards, Andy

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Alan, Andy- Sounds great to me as long as the connector and circuit can take the load. That is the reason not to use the cigarette lighter. It cannot take the load for any length of time. That CTEK charger is a very low load device, but the charger wires appear to be pretty heavy duty.

19. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    #44 English Rebel, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Andy
    I have this connected to the terminals behind the drivers seat. Did you manage to get the mating connector -- the one that would plug into the part with the indicator lights?
    Alan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Terry/Andy
    According to CTEK, the pigtails are designed to carry 7 amps.
    Andy
    What is the rating of your compressor?
    Thanks
    Alan

21. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I don't know the amperage. Bon-Aire doesn't provide them, but my guess is 5-10 amps.The compressor wires are 22 gauge and the CTEK wires are 20 gauge and the cigarette lighter attachment is fused at 15 amps, which by the way, is the same value as the 360's cigarette lighter fuse. The owner's manual just says don't use the cigarette lighter to power "electrical devices". Being a simple sailor, I comply, although I do use it for the cell phone and Garmin.

After I soldered in the new connector, I ran the compressor for about 20 minutes under load and everything, connectors included were cool to the touch. Also, these are not continuous duty devices. So I think this set up is fine.

Alan, I don't have the connector with the lights. I just use the straight receptacle. I did see on Amazon transition connectors for these.

Regards, Andy