Patek Phillipe Purchase Advice | FerrariChat

Patek Phillipe Purchase Advice

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by redzak, Jan 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redzak

redzak Rookie

Feb 25, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    I am finalizing my choice between a new 5146 or 5205 - a close call for me. Was wondering about opinions on purchasing through an AD or going through the so called "grey market"? My gut tells me that with a purchase of this magnitude it is safer to go the AD route. Opinions would be appreciated - does anyone have specific recommendations on reputable "grey market" dealers?

2. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    Jomashop is the most reputable gray market dealer. What is the cost delta between AD and GMD?

3. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    You will not have a warranty. Caveat emptor.

4. redzak

redzak Rookie

Feb 25, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Thanks for the quick response. I have heard of Jomashop and good to know that they are reputable. The two key concerns are (i) ensure the watch is authentic which seems would be addressed by purchasing from Jomas, and (ii) lack of manufacturers warranty which darth550 pointed out. Cost differential is around 10% plus the sales tax savings (9.25% in Il).

5. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    You might still be able to save tax if you buy out of state and have the dealer ship it to you. I have used this tactic in the past. Even my local Rolex AD (also a Patek dealer) will ship out of state to a relative and I'll pick it up. That's my suggestion.

6. rllucero

rllucero Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2006
    Santa Fe/San Diego
    Full Name:
    richontravel
    I bought my Patek from an AD and wouldn't even think twice for this type of purchase. In fact, I purchase all my watches from an AD and I never have to worry. The money you save by going with a grey market in my opinion, is not worth the difference. Also, establishing a relationship with one is well worth it on the long run. I understand beginning on Feb. 1st Patek will be increasing their prices by 4.56%.

Go visit the Rolex forum and look for the Patek link and you can get lots of great information.

Patek Philippe Discussion Forum - Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum

7. cwilson13

cwilson13 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 20, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    CWilson
    A Patek is an expensive purchase. Got to weight pros and cons for you personally. What are you most comfortable with?

Pros for AD

You know it's new.

You get a warranty in your name.

You insure receiving a complete package (double sealed, boxes, hang tags, boxes, certificate, etc.). All handed to you when you give them a credit card.

You have someone you can always go back to with questions, small issues or big.
    If you plan on multiple Patek purchases it's good to build a relationship with a proper AD.

Cons:
    It's the most expensive of the two options to buy from an AD.

They often have limited inventory for most popular, hard to get pieces. Unless you are a regular customer, you might wait a long time to get exactly what you are looking for. 5146g cream dials and black face rose gold 5205s can be hard to find. But it all depends on the AD you are near.

Gray dealer Pros:
    Less expensive if you want to buy preowned (at least for the pieces you are interested in).

Grays can be a great option for less popular, high volume pieces as some can have pretty big depreciation curves on the secondary markets. The new from an AD to used from a gray price spread on 5146s and 5205s is not insigficant....25% maybe.

Example: I recently sourced a 5146g from a highly trusted gray dealer at a price in the $36k range (new, full set but warranty not in my name). Have seen new 5205s just under $40k new from same dealer. Also looked at a used 5146 in the low $30ks full set but several years old. All with no tax. Pretty big price difference to consider. Is it worth to you? Only you can determine. From me, yes in this case.

You can get a discount on certain models that are new that an AD probably can't match...but warranty will not be in your name usually.

The right gray dealers can often source harder to get pieces than an AD (including new, sealed inventory).

I bought a hard to get Patek this week from a gray dealer that would have taken me 6-12 months to get from an AD.

Cons:
    You have to buy the seller..not the deal. There are highly recommended long standing gray dealers out there. I am happy to share a few via PM. But it's a risk regardless. You will send money to someone and hope you receive what was promised in the mail a few days later!

Warranty mostly likely not be in your name. But this will not stop you from getting it serviced.

Overall, I recommend purchasing from an AD. However, for me, it comes down to what the spread is between AD and gray, whether the piece is easy to obtain from an AD or easier from a gray. Lastly, if I am looking for an older piece that is out of current circulation...gray is the only way to go.

Look luck.

FYI: I am a big fan of the 5146. Classic. But you can't go wrong with either.

8. rllucero

rllucero Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2006
    Santa Fe/San Diego
    Full Name:
    richontravel
    I would also price both an AD and grey market seller if price is important. When I bought my 5711, my AD gave me a 10% discount and the grey market seller only would go 5%-6% (approximately) off retail. I think depending on the piece, you may find the AD can be competitive. After all they are in business to sell watches.

9. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Where are grey market dealer sourcing their Pateks?

Matt

10. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    Good question, :)

11. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    According to Joma's website:

12. redzak

redzak Rookie

Feb 25, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Thank you for this great advice - I believe I am most comfortable buying from an AD for all the reasons outlined below. I am looking at the 010 version of both watches - white gold, which I believe to be more readily available than some of the harder to find ones outlined by cwilson13.

I will check again with my dealer this weekend to see if they are able to do anything on pricing. I should be able to ship to a second home in WI to save on the sales taxes.

cwilson13 - I would appreciate if you would pm me the greys you have had experience with before I make my final decision. Now for the embarrassing part - I am not sure if there is anything I need to do in order to be able to receive pm's? Happy to provide my email address provided it is not on an open forum.

13. speedyellow08

speedyellow08 Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2012
    Houston,TX
    5146G all the way. Recently bought one from a AD.

14. zzzdoc

zzzdoc Rookie

Mar 10, 2007
    Bought 5146G gray dial from Wingate's with no problem. Got better price on two Rolexes I traded in than AD was offering. All boxes, hang tags, stylus, and papers included. I'd like to use the Patek as a down payment on a used FF.

15. bombardior

bombardior Rookie

Sep 4, 2014
    i highly recommend you check out/join the rolex forums and specifically the patek section.
    there is essentially no warranty difference buying from AD or some of the reputable grey dealers who can source one for you (from an AD).
    grey dealers get their inventory from AD as well. they get heavier discounts than you when purchasing from AD because of volume.
    I wouldn't buy from jomashop because you won't get the PP papers, where as if you buy from a grey dealer from the rolex forums you'll get the papers (the officially registered first owner may or may not be written in your name though).

16. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    #16 darth550, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    Caveat emptor again.... If you're gonna roll the dice on a 5 figure watch, it's better to actually know a broker/dealer like this than someone you just met on a forum because it's his relationship you will have to lean on if/when it needs warranty service because that dealer (most likely overseas) will not allow anyone else to send it to the MFGR out of fear of losing the line. These relationships take a long time to build so this is not "Call my friend's guy and tell him Bob sent you" childsplay. Anyone who can actually do this won't want to talk to you unless he knows you're solid first. Bottom line: Why would anyone in their right mind risk losing their livelihood trying to help some bottom feeding stroke who 8-10 times doesn't buy anything anyway? This happens way too often.

.....and to clarify: That last part WAS NOT at all directed toward the O/P.

17. redzak

redzak Rookie

Feb 25, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Thanks for everyones advice. I just purchased the 5146G, white gold, cream dial, from an AD this afternoon. At the end of the day I am more comfortable going this route, even if it means paying a little more - the piece of mind is worth it for me. To my surprise, from the time I started this thread until I purchased the watch, PP REDUCED their MSRP by 7%. This, plus the AD kicked in a bit (and no sales tax due to shipping to a second home), ended in what I believe is a very fair deal. Will post some pics once I take delivery - they had to order a short strap due to my skinny wrists.

18. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Congrats! Interesting to hear about the price reduction. Linked to the Swiss Franc shakeup?

19. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I buy and sell watches on the internet all the time. I've never bought from an AD. Never had a problem. Gotta do your homework. I've never had a warranty issue either.

20. bigcrown

bigcrown Rookie

Jan 20, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    You'd be surprised at what sort of discounts your AD would be willing to give you. It doesn't hurt to try.