SuperAmerica prices -- COME ON MAN! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

SuperAmerica prices -- COME ON MAN!

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Drive550PFB, Dec 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    I remember when my old prototype 1967 365GTC that sold at Bonham's 2013 Scottsdale auction for $880,000. was $25K.

2. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I am not happy with that.
    These fine cars are fast becoming too valuable to be driven on street risking a rear end by some schmuck who "dropped his fries" and didn't see you stopped.
    They are becoming just an investment, tucked away by wealthy guys, never to be driven again.
    Sad, IMO.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Seth- In the good old days, GTCs were less than $10K, same for Lussos, and even GTOs.

4. defros

defros Karting

Aug 25, 2004
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    Dima
    I have owned my Barchetta since new and have 12,000 miles on her. I am amazed how many people feel that is high mileage. Most of the other barchetta's I have seen have had very low miles, many below 2000. The recent increase in value is not going to make a difference to the owners who drive there cars. Unfortunately most of these amazing cars have been tucked away and hardly been driven since new.

5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dima- Needing a day with low probability of precip lowers the mileage on some, I am sure. A Barchetta in Seattle would get a lot of garage time.

6. defros

defros Karting

Aug 25, 2004
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    Dima
    I live in Southern California and have been driven the car on 2 occasions, when unexpected rain occurred. I was on the freeway both times. I hardly got wet and the car miraculously survived both times.

7. Sir Paul

Sir Paul Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2008
    HONG KONG
    Agreed. I have put over 15,000 Km on my 2005 SA since new. I cant say I am a heavy user or daily driver, but that's not 'cos I am trying to keep mileage down.
    I only drive it when a)The weather is fine so I can keep the roof open to avoid torsion, twisting and delamination and b) I don't have any appointments where I will be parking in dodgy car parks or will be drinking in the evening....so that limits use!!!.
    Regardless of future value, I will use it and keep it with little regard to mileage.
    Regards
    PAUL

8. Frodo

Frodo Karting

Nov 20, 2011
    Stockholm, Sweden
    We're in bubble territory, big time. It's always the same story, a lot of people making their case why "it's different this time". Well it's not different. The bubble will pop and with it, it'll take classic cars just as it will take stocks, houses and other assets. Be honest, we've seen this before…

9. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    tend to agree

10. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    Maybe where you live, but we have had numerous predictions in the past where "The Bubble" never came to fruition from the so called Fortune Tellers :)
    I guess if you wait long enough, you can say that...

11. secondsole

secondsole Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2013
    O-H!
    Full Name:
    Michael
    We are talking ab limited number Ferraris, they can go up quite a bit before a pop...no fortune tellers here. Just guys with big balls trying to take risks...I like it.

12. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    bubble. only secret : get out before it burst. when ? heh

13. secondsole

Feb 28, 2013
    O-H!
    Full Name:
    Michael
    What limited number Ferrari was part of a bursting bubble?

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Marmist- Go troll somewhere else.

15. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I've seen two Superamericas in official Ferrari dealers the other day. I can search for the link if you like. One for 195.000 EUR and another for 199.000 EUR fully sorted, if I'm not mistaken. Being an owner and an enthusiast, not a speculator I can only guess, but am I right in thinking this is actually a good buy considering the hype and sharp rise in prices affecting the Superamerica these days? Is this good timing to jump into a Superamerica at these prices before it rises close to a million in a decade or so (assuming the hype is big enough to take it there so soon/at all).

Kind regards,

Nuno.

16. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Paid subscriptions should be mandatory in order to keep trolls out, imho.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

17. Super_Dave

Super_Dave Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    There is a bubble in prices (IMHO). There are a multitude of bubbles going on right now.

Classic Ferraris, however, while they'll drop (and by absolute dollars, a lot) I would see that as a buying opportunity as they will recover. Very similar to Manhattan real estate (also a bubble in my view) ... a price correction of 15-20% would not surprise me, but the market will then resume its upward course.

Very limited supply of a desired quantity will lead to durable long term premium valuations. If I ever see a more dramatic burst, I'm going to be an aggressive buyer!

18. secondsole

Feb 28, 2013
    O-H!
    Full Name:
    Michael
    yes

19. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I own one and would love to see it worth a million but chances of seeing it are the same as seeing Gold at $10k an once (predicted not that long ago).
    Not gonna happen......
    Big correction is coming.

20. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Thank you for your reply and insight, Mark.

I've been told there were only 559 Superamericas ever built, and I've been told production numbers, desirability and mileage is everything. I wouldn't be at all surprised that in this 21st century, dominated by mass production, a 559 edition of a V12 two seater would carry a huge premium with it. I have an Enzo era car and two to enjoy (355 F1 GTS and a 575M Maranello F1). The 355 verson I got is the rarest of them all (only 529 cars built), but once it wasn't a special edition, I'm guessing it won't matter much one day in terms of rising in value. A Superamerica at current prices and if one accepts the theory they'll skyrocket in value in the future, is very tempting, hence the question I launched.

I tend to think of the 575 as the Daytona of the modern times, and look at Daytona values. Again, I would consider it to be only natural if in a pair of decades' time, the Superamerica reached similar values to the Daytona today. I've seen more improbable things happen. I for one am a huge Superamerica fan and advocate, so you might want to disregard most of my comments due to lack of impartiality.

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

21. jaticker

jaticker Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    tampa
    Full Name:
    John Annis
    I think the 550 being almost the last of the 3 pedal explains the higher prices .Even though a 599 is too rich for my budget, I still prefer the 550. I'm an older Ferrari owner, maybe I'm just stuck in the "old days". I still wish I had the Lusso I bought new in 64. Not to mention the the 4/cam.

22. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I understand you perfectly, John. I love a no-nonsense car. I love getting behind the wheel, putting it in neutral and start the engine. I don't like (and find rather annoying) to start a car, any car let alone a Ferrari, having to take a PhD course in computing before I can start it, push all sorts of buttons, levers, knobs, so I completely get your preference.

I believe Superamerica prices will know a rise in value of their own, not comparable to other V12 cars. This is afterall a special edition on its own right, not merely a rare version of a massively produced car. I only hope I won't regret not buying one in a couple of years. Once I met a Ferrari enthusiast that passed the opportunity of buying a Dino for 80k USD in the 1980s. He would buy to drive and enjoy, if its value rose, good... But that wasn't the sole purpose of the buy (same approach I have). Looking at prices today, he felt suicidal.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

23. Frodo

Frodo Karting

Nov 20, 2011
    Stockholm, Sweden
    A year and a half ago I bought a supermint 930 Turbo -79. Unique car, very low miles and the price was right. Now selling it for twice what I bought it for. Bubble anyone…? Classic Ferraris and restricted volume Ferraris will always be very sought after and expensive. But classic cars, like most asset prices (houses, stocks) have ballooned (Strangely...there is no inflation…;)). Once money is not lent out for free, this will correct.

24. rubystone

rubystone Karting

Mar 11, 2005
    Earth
    How many convertible V12 models have ferrari released in the last 40 years?... 4? Daytona Spyder, 550 Barchetta, 575 SA, 599 SA Aperto....and how much is a Daytona Spyder now?.... I think the SA is a sound investment at the right price.

25. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Look at prices on late model Lambo convertibles. They are perfect alternative to high ferrari prices.