California T exhaust question | FerrariChat

California T exhaust question

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by unotaz, Feb 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. unotaz

unotaz Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hi, I'm picking up a brand new 2015 California T and I was told by my service advisor told me that we can no longer unplug the hose and keep the valve open at all times. Is this true? How can we make the stock exhaust sound better because it currently sounds kind of weak!

2. mtarvydas

mtarvydas Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2011
    On the Mountain
    Full Name:
    Martin Tarvydas
    Not true, I had a switch put in. I was worried about the reduction in back pressure but they contacted Ferrari and said no issue - exhaust opens @ 3k so now it is open at 0k. Definetly louder than the the previous Cali. I have both parked side by side and my son knows when the T is the ride for the day from the sound. Gotta start them young :)

3. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Can you tell me about the switch? Who makes it, etc.?

4. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    You can have the exhaust "pinned open". I believe it's just a vacuum tube they replace/make inactive to keep the exhaust open at all times. I've been in a car for approximately 5 hours that had this. It sounds more aggressive at start up, moving around parking areas at low speeds, etc. The only drawback for me, since my Cali T is my DD, was that I didn't like the "droning" noise that came from the exhaust being pinned open all the time. Thus I decided not to do anything with the exhaust for the moment.

5. Lime1

Lime1 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2014
    Capristo do a remote controlled switch for the old California. I would presume this works on the T as well. It's the route I plan to go with mine.

6. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    It takes about a week to settle in and become more growly, however, after driving not 5 hours but 2700 miles, there is no drone as my Tubi had on my Porsche.
    The Car sounds great !

7. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    ^well there you go :)

Mitchell, you're piling the miles on! I love it! I got 1100 in in two weeks.

8. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Thats my boy ! Take out the tubes and plug but do it at Ferrari :) They can do it while you wait, about 1.5 hours

9. unotaz

unotaz Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Quick update: Just had my exhaust opened up by pulling the vacuum tube. HOWEVER, it seems like Ferrari changed the setup of the California T at some point during production because according to my tech, my California T's exhaust valve could be opened up by pulling the vacuum tube (where the default is valve open), however, on another customer's California T, you couldn't do that (the default is valve closed)!

My tech had to install an electronic module to "trick" the computer to default into opening up the valve. So basically, there was a two month difference in production time between my car and his customer's (mine is a September production and the other car was a November production).

10. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Earlier Ferrari's like the 355 and 575M had exhaust bypass valves that were spring loaded to close when the engine was off and no vacuum was available. The application of vacuum controlled by a vacuum solenoid valve would then open the valve.

Later Ferrari's were opposite. The exhaust bypass valves were spring loaded to open when the engine was off and no vacuum applied to the actuator. When vacuum is applied, they would then close.

If your car has the first type (i.e., default closed), then removal of the vacuum line will then leave the valves closed all the time. If the valves are the second type, then removal of the vacuum line to the exhaust bypass valves will then leave the valves open all the time.

Regardless of valve type, you can install an external exhaust bypass valve controller. Two controllers are available.

Capristo makes one for $650 ... Ferrari California : Standard Remote Control Kit (OEM & CAPRISTO)

An alternative to Capristo is the Forza controller for $375 ... Forza Componenti - Home

Regards,

Steve

11. leopoldo

leopoldo Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2013
    Full Name:
    mark1
    Any videos of a Cali t with valves open please?

12. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
  13. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Keith is that yours? My pipes are open and I love the sound, not screaming like the Speciale Aperta which i saw delivered this weekend, but like a baby lion :)

14. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Mitchell,

Nope that was the demo car at the dealer. I think it sounds great, just wasn't what I wanted for my car (at the moment at least).

15. Fly4Ree

Fly4Ree Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Wichita
    Full Name:
    Don
    Thanks for the you tube post!

16. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    No problem! I tried uploading it here but the file size was too large. Hope it helped!

17. McRoswell

McRoswell Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2008
    Roswell, GA
    Full Name:
    Chris McAuliffe
    Keithos27, does your Cali have the Sports Exhaust option? It sounds great on Utube

18. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    There is not a difference on sound between a sport exhaust and stock. The difference is the look. I chose it as it is the cheapest option to get :)

19. Lime1

Lime1 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2014
    Haha! I decided it wasn't worth it! ;)

20. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    McRoswell, it does! But that video isn't of my Cali T. ;)

21. TooHot

TooHot Rookie

Apr 15, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gene Lorenzetti
    I have removed the valve hose and blocked it with a tee
    My car was built in 3-15
    Is this ok. Will it cause any damage ?
    I see some one said it might be based on build of car ?