488 GTB (458 replacement) | Page 56 | FerrariChat

488 GTB (458 replacement)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by synergy, Aug 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    I'm sorry but that is pretty awesome.

2. Carrera_gtcrazy

Carrera_gtcrazy F1 Veteran

Oct 24, 2004
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stephan Bauer
    No sorry thats not real photography, this is most certainly CG imagery. Im an Art director and make CG content for the automotive industry, I definitely know CG content when I see it

3. dolphins08430

dolphins08430 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2011
    I like it a lot!

4. KNor

KNor Rookie

Jan 3, 2015
    This struck me as well, and the placement and style of the new door handle made me think that they're maybe doing LaFerrari-style opening doors on this?

I haven't seen any renderings that actually shows the doors open, but that would fit with these new door handles.

5. dennymeister

dennymeister Karting

Jan 30, 2013
    What I loved about the 458 and love about the laferrari is the 9K RPM rev limit.
    that is now just 8K. I had the privilege to be a passenger in 458 and from 7,5K to 9K the noise the feeling everything that last bit felt so special.

I go with the new looks! front looks great IMHO.

6. Fritz d'Orey

Fritz d'Orey Formula Junior
    Honorary Owner

Aug 22, 2012
    Cascais * Portugal
    Full Name:
    Frederico d'Orey
    #1381 Fritz d'Orey, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    I gave the toast to the 458 last night, and woke this morning to the dawn of what appears to be a most worthy successor!! I LOVE IT!!!! Unlike some of you, I think the nose looks great! It reminds me of the Ferrari F1 noses of the Schumacher Era with the vertical posts, etc. As a former 308 owner, I never get tired of the similar side scoops, and these look AWESOME!! On that note, there's, for me, very much the essence of the 308 and 288 GTO (especially the flared aggressiveness and racing looks of the latter) in the side view - all design cues that are making me grin with excitement! Even the name can obviously and easily remind one of the 288 GTO, and, of course, the twin turbos are a direct connection to that storied car! The rear end - WOW!! Much has been said over the past 12 years I've been on this site about the importance of the rear end view - so true about so many things - and this girl does not disappoint! The stats we've been shown look stellar, the interior looks sharp and purposeful, and the sound - I guess we all will just have to wait and listen more, but given what I've seen, it's need to be perfect has lessened considering the WOW-Factor of everything else! I think we can all rest well, knowing Ferrari got it right!

8. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    Who the EFF CARES!!!!!

You McLaren lovers can go back with your minimalistic computer aided design crap cutting every single gram and patting yourselves on the back.

Personally I want a car that delivers EMOTION, something Ron Denis doesn't understand because he has noone (sp).

9. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #1384 Melvok, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. dolphins08430

dolphins08430 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2011
    +1

11. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I see now this is a doubled thread .... go here !

12. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014
    99% of the emotion in a Ferrari is the engine and the 488 just doesn't have it. It sounds like a tuned up version of the Cali T engine because that exactly what it is.

13. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    I also want to give a special shout-out to ingegnere! Your rendering was remarkably close - just like your drawing of what would be the 458, years ago! You, sir, are a genius! And, I might add, I'm glad what you imagined for both cars became reality!

14. asb9987

asb9987 F1 Rookie

Dec 4, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    A. B.
    Absolutely gorgeous!

As for the big side vent, I think the if the middle slat is panted black, it would look even better and less busy in the 3/4.

15. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Uh, what are you getting on about? Who said anything about McLaren?

You've never even driven this car. LOL. The most emotive thing about Ferrari may have just gone out the window with the NA engine. When you drive the car, let us all know. Until then, just relax and know that the car weighs 10kg less than the 458. Which, you know, is all I asked.

16. Maggio23

Maggio23 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2013
    +488

17. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Looking at the pics of the car, there are some strange shut lines at the back of the car. Is there an air brake there? Does anyone know what sort of active aero this car is packing?

18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I think the point is... most of this weight stuff is BS for a car like this. Saving 10KG on a car that goes 0-60 in 3.5 seconds is meaningless.

It sounds good on a website but it's total BS in the real world.

If you are going to design a car with half the HP, I can see it. But for something with this much power, it's better to have more emotion than worry about every little gram.

19. arhimede

arhimede Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
    I think we have a rear wing that can be "deployed".¥or a movable front spoiler?

20. rsvmille676

rsvmille676 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    G-town
    Full Name:
    Scott Major
  21. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Great point.

22. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Do you guys think ECU tuning will become popular for the 488?

Also, with the 911 range (w/o GT3) going turbo, NSX with turbo, next Ford GT with turbo and so on, suddenly the Huracan seems like a thing of the past!

23. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It's aggressive looking, but I think I like it. Will need to give it some time to come to a final decision though.

What's interesting to me is how the 458 Italia looks somewhat dated after staring at the 488. Funny how the new model of any car seems to have this effect.

24. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    #1399 Lesia44, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
    Correct. And not particularly good CGI at that. As with most of Ferrari's CGI, it has a very dead feel to it.

EDIT: Note, though, that it's only the exterior shots that are CGI. The interiors are photographs.

25. scuderia92

scuderia92 Formula Junior

May 23, 2013

Agreed. Any chance of a movie coming up today?