488 GTB (458 replacement) | Page 65 | FerrariChat

488 GTB (458 replacement)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by synergy, Aug 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    IMO the 458 to 488 is similar to the 360 to 430 change. The 488 is similar in form to the 458 but with slightly less natural sexiness, however a bit more masculine.

I think I'll keep my 458 spider over a 488 coupe, but would upgrade to the Spider (I liked the rendering-- they looked pretty cool).

2. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    911 Turbos have been AWD since the 993. The exceptions have been the GT2s.

3. arhimede

arhimede Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
    911 turbo is AWD.

4. Forcedinduction

Nov 15, 2014
    Perhaps 20 odd years ago, not these days, only the 997 GT2 (turbo) was rwd

5. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    As far as I know, all 911 Turbos are AWD.

Edit: I´ve checked their web page, and yes, standard 911 Turbos are AWD, not only the Turbo S.

6. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    +1 The turbo has been AWD since the 993 model, starting in 1996.

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I'm still not convinced about whether to buy this car or not.

My biggest concern is still turbo lag.

My next biggest concern is the engine note.

My next biggest concern is how they do the DCT software. If it's too GT-ish like the 458 spider, I'm out.

My next biggest concern is the price. I'm so freakin' tired of feeling I'm being ripped off by Ferrari. If there's a huge jump in the price of accessories I'm ordering a plain jane model and screw the rest. I need some convincing.

My next biggest issue are the little things that the 458 does downright poorly (like worse than a Kia). AC, GPS, radio, and electronics. Or it's a sports car but it's also $300 grand. At least make it better than a Fiat 500.

My next biggest issue is maintenance and reliability with the twin turbos. If this car is a nightmare and always in the shop, look for resale values to sink like a stone.

My next biggest concern is the spider. If it's not a significant improvement of the 458 version, I'll stay with a coupe.

Bottom line: I'm not one of the early adopters this time. Nice start but they still have some convincing to do.

8. rmitchell248

rmitchell248 Formula 3

May 26, 2013
    Nürburg
    Full Name:
    Robert

Haha guess I'm on crack:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. rmitchell248

rmitchell248 Formula 3

May 26, 2013
    Nürburg
    Full Name:
    Robert

See how much I pay attention to Porsche.

10. rmitchell248

rmitchell248 Formula 3

May 26, 2013
    Nürburg
    Full Name:
    Robert

Can I at least have the 12c, 650s and LaF as comparable or more powerful cars with rwd? :)

11. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    yea yea i guess we'll let ya have those...:)

12. rmitchell248

rmitchell248 Formula 3

May 26, 2013
    Nürburg
    Full Name:
    Robert

Whew. Thanks guys

13. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    A good time not to be an early adapter.

Also add heat soak to your list. In high ambient temps the intercoolers can't do the job so
    the boost/advance are set back. Then the 458 will take it ... easily. No kidding.

14. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I find the design a total mess. Good grief.

15. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    It's already out = Speciale A

16. Philip Hughes

Philip Hughes Rookie

Dec 11, 2014
    Boston, Mass
    I think it is interesting what Ferrari has done with this release. It reminds me of the eighties when the 308 evolved to the 308 quattrovalvole to the 328.

Ferrari hasn't really had a period of time with it's V-8 cars since the 308 / 328 that we didn't see much change. The 348 came out at a bad financial time and was not well loved. Then comes the F355 which people considered a game changing car and a modern design on the 308. The 360 was met with mixed feelings the 430 appealed to more of us. And then we got the 458, which to me was terrific. The design is / was beautiful. Today's release of the 488 GTB makes me feel like it is an evolution of the 458.

In regards to turbo charging a lot has changed since the 288 GTO and the F40 turbo charging. Today twin turbos have very little lag if one can even feel it. So the performance and how it gets applied to the road does not worry me that much. I do agree and feel as many have said regarding the sound, but Ferrari knows this car is very important and it has to be right. Again I hope it sounds as good the 458.

Lastly, I watch the teaser video and the sound was good limited but good. For those who have not watched it here is the link http://youtu.be/Ul9fz9RzhVo

Thanks

17. Gated

Gated Formula 3

Dec 21, 2009
    Hardly.

18. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    I think its stunning. I'm in.

19. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    I think the engine note is very nice from the Ferrari video. Almost f40 like.

The rear is gorgeous. The total package is very intriguing and much "more supercar" like. The 458 in comparison is very pretty and will stand the test of time very well.

20. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    Given how important the transition from naturally aspirated to turbo is for Ferrari in the V8 line, do you really think they’ll put out a laggy car?

Given how important the transition from naturally aspirated to turbo is for Ferrari in the V8 line, do you really think they’ll put out a poor sounding car? Don’t judge by the audio samples because, remember, there was much complaining about the 458’s sound when all we had to go on were audio samples.

Why would the 458’s replacement suddenly go all GT on us?

That’s guaranteed. It’s what Ferrari do.

That’s called character, didn’t you know…

When was the last time Ferrari made an unreliable car?

21. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    IT IS STUNNING, the rest of you in denial will simply have to thing twice about it

22. 400GT4doors

400GT4doors Karting

Jan 2, 2009
    Vigo, Spain
    I really like it. I think it's a big improvement with respect to the 458, most of all in the front. "Japanese" shapes have dissapeared and most of all, the ugly air intakes beside the front lights, almost reaching the wheels.

Now the design is very clean, and gathers aggressiveness with softness in the shape. Some almost flat surfaces or with curvature in only one direction, looks really good, like the one in the center of the front hood or in the side of the front lower wings. On the rear things have gone better too, with that futuristic lights and the soft and aggressive forms.

One thing I really miss is the soft bending on the low side of the 458 that descended as it arrived the rear wheel that now has been modified to match the new air intakes.

And the only wrong thing is the wheels every time bigger (boring tendence), that instead of improving the design, just unbalance it. There was no need to do this, I think. In that way, the design of the 458 is much more balanced.

23. FE458IT

FE458IT Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto
    Yes, but what will those downshifts sound like?

Lets just hope Ferrari doesn't incorporate any of that fake sound bs into the car.

24. bobhitch

bobhitch Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Bob
    So , Anybody guessing base model list price over here in the UK ??