100MPH ticket - Attorney Needed | Page 2 | FerrariChat

100MPH ticket - Attorney Needed

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Fcar99, Jan 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. suggett48116

suggett48116 Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2007
    Brighton,Michigan
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Tickets on highways are much different then the rest of the road. I was pulled over for 105mph cop wrote 95 in a 70 (he said more than 25 over is reckless) and sent me on my way. Mind you he approached from the passenger side crouched down out of view. I did however pull over and wait for him :). Ticket was $140 about 15yrs ago.

2. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    You have to love the court system under oath..They lower your speed limit to doing 15 mph..But still keep the ticket at $535..") One time a judge told my brother who had a ticket to just take a charge of "stopping a semi on a bridge" rather than speeding..LOL.

3. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    You are very lucky that this was not a misdemeanor. If the paperwork comes and traffic school is not an option, then I suggest you go to court, typically they will offer everyone traffic school just before trial begins. Take it.

Being a veteran of many traffic court cases (in my younger days I acquired over 100 moving violations and fought almost all of them) there are a number ways you can prepare for a case, and 'Fight your ticket' from Nolo Press is an excellent place to start. In almost all of those cases the officers made statements that supported the charge, irrespective of what actually happened. When I was 17 I was in court and an officer just made up 50% of his testimony, after which I understood what I was up against and what the rules of play were.

The judges will take the word of the officer over yours - unless they start lying in front of the judge. I received a similar ticket on the 10 back in the 80's, I was doing 100+ in my 928 then slowed down to transition onto the 10, he lit me up and wrote me for doing 70+ in a 55. Glad he only saw me on the 10. Pretty typical ticket, however in court:

I knew that he really didn't pace me, he saw me speeding, lit up and pulled me over, but he would have to testify that he paced me, and this is where I thought I had some leverage.

After the officer testified that he paced me for 1/2 mile, I asked him, "is it good to get a Porsche?" A. What? Q. I'm driving a Porsche 928S, the third fastest production car in the world, do you go back to the guys and say "hey I nabbed a Porsche tonight? " A. Uh, no..no, we don't do that, uh, I don't do that, then stammers some more (judge wakes up and looks at officer, court gets quiet and bailiffs start to watch). Q Well when you see a Porsche, do you think they are going fast? A NO, NO, I don't, in FACT they are USUALLY going slower than everyone else!, stammers a little more. At this point judge is rolling his eyes and getting upset. Judge looks at me - how fast were you going? In absolute certainty and without emotion I say "55 your honor".

He ruling was something like this "since the state's testimony appears to be in question, I have to accept your testimony, case dismissed - but I DON'T want to see YOU back in MY court", then glares at the officer still on the stand.

Being very well prepared, photos (these days easy with google earth), noting what vehicles were around you at the time, view obstructions, time vs distance charts, etc. all help sway a decision in your favor. Never, ever go to court just to say "I wasn't speeding"

Good luck.

4. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I have been ticketed in the past for a speed of "111+" in a 55 mph zone. At these speeds, traffic school will not be an option and the only way to beat the ticket will be by a technicality. If LiDAR has you travelling at 98 mph, then you will likely have no grounds for dismissal. For me, it was an infraction. I paid a fine and had two points placed on my driving record for a period of five years. Best of luck to you.

5. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    And any admission that you were traveling over the posted speed limit, even 2-3 mph will end with the same result - guilty.

6. R5Turbo2

R5Turbo2 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 14, 2014

+1 Bravo.

7. BeachBum

BeachBum Formula 3

An attorney friend mentioned something about the CHP officers cannot be sitting in the patrol car when using radar. They have to be outside of the car.

8. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Your attorney friend is wrong. That would be quite a sight, watching an officer running beside his car at 65 mph tracking cars.

9. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I was always wondering why those CHP guys were driving while hanging on to the outside of their car, using a radar gun and steering at the same time? :)

10. NORTY

NORTY Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2008
    CARLSBAD, CA, USA,
    Full Name:
    NORTY
    Just hope the Offcr doesn't show up. Under 100mph is one thing. Over 100mph is quite another...

11. Fcar99

Fcar99 Karting

Apr 6, 2009
    Went to court for the arraignment. After watching 20 people have thier Failure to Appear tickets dismissed, the judge read my charge.

After he failed to offer traffic school, I asked him for traffic school. He said no due to the speed. I asked if he would / could reduce the speed and then offer traffic school. No, was the reply. I asked anthoer few times, several different ways, each time met with a NO.

I asked for and recieved a continuance.

Not the best day.............

12. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Sorry buddy, that sucks. Sounds like the judge was frustrated with the others. Maybe he'll be in a better mood when you meet again or maybe they'll be a different judge altogether. Nothing you can do about it now so don't let it bring you down too much.

13. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I read with great interest about how it is in America as I am in America myself right now and I use to go a little on the + side of the speed limit...

Do they take the ldriver icense away from you for driving over 100 mph. in a 75 zone?

With your excellent highways and with today's modern cars (especially Ferraris), it is quite sad to see that you are taken away the enjoyment of going fast. In most European countries, 100 mph. is normal cruising speed, not just Germany. You should come to Europe and do a cruising with a V12 Ferrari of a sustained 140 mph. That is so nice. Some places even 170 mph. is possible for some periods. Quite a few of your highways in the US are just as good as the European ones. Ask Obama if he can change from 75 to 175 limit !! :)

14. ferrame

ferrame Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Orange, Calif
    Don't press your luck!

15. R5Turbo2

R5Turbo2 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 14, 2014

Give us a highlight of the fines $$$ in Germany for driving with your fog lights on or in a speed limit zone on a country highway. its not cheap, Switzerland is the craziest, unmarked VW's BMW Audi's and Volvo's get very hard to spot.

16. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Sounds like the judge drives a Prius.

17. GTUnit

GTUnit Karting

May 25, 2014
    Socal
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Everyone use WAZE app on your phones when you are out and know you will be "having fun" out on public roads. Its pretty good at warning of a Police presence. I use it on long trips.

18. dreamcarswest

dreamcarswest Karting

Apr 4, 2007
    I have used Paul Antill for years - he has a 100% batting record for me keeping points off my record - over 4-5 speeding tickets in an 8 year period. Charges a flat rate per ticket. He operates out of a cheesy little office in San Dimas but his services have worked. You don't have to go to his officer - he can handle everything via phone/fax/email.