Colour Change on 458 | FerrariChat

Colour Change on 458

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by BAD 130Y, Feb 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BAD 130Y

BAD 130Y Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    R Koli
    Help required to change colour on a early 458 which is in nero daytona and needs to be changed to Tour de France or Blu swaters ( i think i spelt it right).

I know loads of bodyshops will take the job on and it will be just another car through thier workshop but i was wondering if there is any one who is willing to take this on as a pet project.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Does that mean you don't want to pay for it !

3. BAD 130Y

BAD 130Y Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    R Koli
    No of course want to pay for it but not what bodyshops wanna charge

4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Do it right or don't do it at all.

To do it properly there is a LOT of preperation involved. Any decent job would cost over £5K to around 10K.

Otherwise get a professional wrap done...

5. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    A wrap is the way to go, then when selling it, purchasers have an option, and the original paint stays pristine

6. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    wrap dont come off that easy

7. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    But a lot easier than having a total re spray overall, cheaper too. Depends on who does it for you.

8. RS man

RS man Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2008
    Scotland
    Not to mention devaluing the car

9. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Alternatively sell the black one and buy a TDF one.

10. Harrydino

Harrydino Karting

Apr 9, 2013
    London
    Full Name:
    Harry
    I'm always sceptical about cars that have had colour changes. Agree with the wrap or sell and buy a TDF car

11. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    This.

I wouldn't touch it with a stick if it had a colour change done. The problem is also, that in order to get the whole car painted, you'll need to tear EVERYTHING out and disassemble it completely. A half painted car is a half arsed job, no matter if it visible during normal running conditions or not.

Don't do it, and certainly not if you don't want to pay for it. What's up with that anyway? You're a 458 owner, but you won't fork out the money to make sure you have a proper respray done? No paint/bodyshop who is really good, will take a 458 as a "pet project". Why would they do that? Because it's a Ferrari? C'mon, snap out of it!!! If you want a brilliant painter to paint for free, you will need to show up in something spectacular and different not "just" a 458.

12. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Changing colour is no big deal. I would let the Ferrari dealer do it as then it is documented that it is a simple colour change rather than part of an accident repair. Changing colour from a stock colour to a special order colour is understandable and probably ultimately cost effective.

13. houtie123

houtie123 Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Agree with DK308. Most potential buyers would view a colour change as no go territory, regardless of reason. Resale would be a *****. If you don't like it, trade it.