How Long Should a Battery Last? | FerrariChat

How Long Should a Battery Last?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Dom, Mar 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    What's the typical lifespan of an automotive battery?
    Any signs that would indicate the battery is about to go out on you?

I just replaced the battery on my Alfa (Not a ferrari, but I figure this thread pertains to ferrari's as well). I have had the car over 5 years with the same battery, and I think it was replaced about 2 years before I purchased it, so it was around 7 years old. Took a look at it this weekend (it's in the trunk, under a cover), and there was lots of gook around the battery. Looked like a mess. Went out and bought an optima, and replaced it, figuring it might be toward the end of its life, and I'd rather pay the money up front than have to pay for a battery and a tow later on.

Dom

2. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    prob anywhere from 3-10 years, depends on type, if a battery is not secure they can fail earlier - seven years you should be happy on a italian car :)

3. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Depends also on how regularly you use the car... typical lead-acid batteries last much longer if they are kept fully charged... they deteriorate when discharged significantly. Just the opposite of some other types of batteries.

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Would agree that in a "daily driver" situation, a battery that is topped up with fluids and terminals cleaned once a year will probably last 5 to 7 years no problem. Cars that sit a lot, without a battery tender, tend to go through batteries in a couple years.

5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I agree at 5-7 years. With the crappy winters up here if its 5-6 years old and still good, replace it anyway so you dont get stranded. 10 is rare.

6. ROGER

ROGER Karting

Feb 9, 2002
    Lake Havasu City, Az
    Full Name:
    Roger Blakeman
    About 2 years in the desert!!!

7. bobwass

bobwass Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bob Wass
    5 years is the max for most batteries.
    the higher quaility batteries that sell for higher buck$$
    with a longer warranty are the same batteries that sell
    for cheaper buck$$ with a lesser warranty.

they are all the same battery. 5 years max.

many considerations: heat, cold, charging cycle, vibration/
    physical trauma, etc.

but they will all last, or should, for 4 or 5 years. any longer than that and
    you are in 'risk' mode.

any shorter than that and you have a problem with an above listed consideration, or bad luck.

other batteries with different constuction like optima mite have
    better resistance to failure/lack of charging/physical trauma
    than a regular lead-acid battery. but 5 years will probably
    still be a bite in the butttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.

how lucky do you feel?

8. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    I typically tell people to replace their battery after five years, *if* they are having any problems. Some can last longer, some can last much less. A lot depends upon how many times you leave your lights on and let it run down to empty. Unless you have what is called a deep-cycle (marine) battery, then running it down near empty is typically very bad for it.

-Wayne