Altitude sickness question | FerrariChat

Altitude sickness question

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Gilles27, Mar 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    A question: I read a few months ago that for altitude-related headaches, you shouldn't take one of either aspirin, ibuprophin or acetominophen, but naturally, I forgot which. I've done some searching but can't find useful info. Anybody know about this?

2. airbarton

airbarton Formula 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Kennesaw, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Chuck Barton
    Altitude sickness is caused by the relative decrease in the % of O2 associated with altitude. Air decreases in density as you go higher so there is less oxygen available for absorbtion. There is no none cure for this other than to condition yourself before going to higher altitudes. It would be helpful to improve your cardiovascular fitness for example. It also helps to ascend slowly which allows your body time to adjust. If the symptoms become severe a drug called Diamox (which stimulates breathing) is usually prescibed but it is known to have undesirable side effects which may or may not make it worth taking. As far as I know none of the drugs you metioned will have any effect what so ever other than to relieve the pain associated with the sickness. BTW these symptoms for most people usually occur above 8K feet but many people have been able to condition themselves for much higher altitudes with no real effects. Maybe you should try a web site like web MD or something like that. They may be able to shed more light on the situation than I can. Good luck!

3. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Are you talking about your upcomming trip to Breckenridge??? My solution is to pick up on 2 hot snow bunnies at the lodge and well you know what i am saying ;)

In all seriousness you might want to try stopping for a bit in Denver and then a few times on the way up to the summit and take a small walk around so this will help you get use to the thinner air in steps.

4. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Also hit some of the climbing and trekking sites dealing with places like Everest. There is probably alot of info out there.

5. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I've decided to go the route of "see what happens and just deal with it".

As much as I like the snow bunny idea, it probably wouldn't fly too well with my wife ;)