My "new" Indy 4900 | FerrariChat

My "new" Indy 4900

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by jarnved, Feb 10, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jarnved

jarnved Karting

Nov 8, 2013
    Denmark
    #1 jarnved, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Otto Paulsen

Otto Paulsen Karting

Dec 9, 2009
    Europe
    great colours. congrats

3. Ursa Major

Ursa Major Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    Norway
    Very nice car!

4. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    What a nice looking car and in a color that does it justice. I think that the Indy is going to get much more interest in the near future. Such an underrated car for all that it offers.

5. mamamia

mamamia Karting

Dec 14, 2010
    England
    Full Name:
    Henry Jameson
    Hi,

Nice example. What is the chassis number ?

Do you know the Italian registration number ?

It all helps.

6. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 Completely agree, they have been overlooked for decades. The 4.9 is a big plus.

7. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Very flattering color on that one. Looks to be in excellent shape, too.

Its too bad the Indy always seems to end up in the Ghibli's shadow, it has really nice proportions and lines. The only thing I'm not completely convinced about are the wraparound bumpers, but they do fit well with the overall design.

8. jarnved

jarnved Karting

Nov 8, 2013
    Denmark
    Chassis no: AM116491988
    Italian reg.no. MO 84 76 56

9. AM1220552

AM1220552 Karting

May 25, 2012
    Great Indy Jarnved!

Are you able to share some of the maintenance history of her, with regards to what has been worked on?

Kind regards

Kim
    AM116491838

10. jarnved

jarnved Karting

Nov 8, 2013
    Denmark
    #10 jarnved, Feb 12, 2015
    Hi Kim
    Very little, it seems to be a very original car and still the original exhaust and unfortunately very little documents. But I have a document from the "Automobile Club D'Italia" which shows "10" owners and the last owner sold it to "Angloitaliancars" in Augsburg Germany and he swapped it with a Ferrari Testarossa from CC-Cars in Denmark.
    She has been paintet back in 2008-2009 and its still the original leather with small dent here and there.
    Let me see some pics of yours, it seems to be close to mine.
    Is it possible to get a spareparts list somewhere to these cars so i can get new "gas pistons" for the hood instead of my wood Stick:)
    Where are you from Kim?

Regards Jorn

Best regards
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. AM1220552

AM1220552 Karting

May 25, 2012
    #11 AM1220552, Feb 12, 2015
    Hei Jorn, I'm from Norway

I am currently in the middle of a nut&bolt restoration of my Indy4900 she is Blu Ischia with crema interior and has a 4700 engine installed that's from an earlier Indy (AM116*1578)

The reason for why I am asking if you have any history of her, was because your car seems to have a leather or leatherette dashboard top rather than mousehair, that I am starting to wonder if was standard or factory option that i might adopt given that my car got a unoriginal dashboard top cover.

It seems that your car has a light brown rubber mat insert sewed on the black carpet with black piping.

I haven't seen this interior color combination (crema & black carpets with light brown rubber inserts) delivered by Maserati before, though I have seen a few that has been restored with black carpets and black rubber inserts. I have not been able to source any light brown rubber inserts [with tridente logo and diamondpattern] for Indy on either side of the car, though I have a set of black and a set of gray/white that I might use in the future when I redo my carpets.

Since your car has a higher VIN number than mine but is a 1973 model as well and given it's been serviced by Candini and looks to be in very good shape I am curious if your car was originally delivered with this interior combination or if it has had a carpet change and they have reused the rubber insert from a camel colored original carpet. Does the passenger side carpet have a rubber insert?

In regards to user manual, the first thing you need to do is visit Ivan Ruiz page: The Car Nut - Maserati and Jaguar Cars It's a place you come to use more than Google :) Ivan is a nice guy that is willing to share his vast knowledge and a long time member of this forum.

Direct link to the manuals: The Car Nut - Maserati Manuals and Brochures

I suggest that you check out Maserati Club, Maserati Parts, MIE Corp. MaseratiNet Store as a source for parts, they are in the USA but my experience is that they deliver much quicker than the Italian sources and are 100 times more serviceminded and to top it off they are almost always cheaper.

In regards to the gas pistons, I haven't found new original ones, I am considering to rebuild them with a niple so that I can fill them every now and then, or just buy some that are the correct lenght and resistance.

My car you can see here 28 April 2013 Sesongåpning - Holmen Fjordhotell

I'll share some pictures once she is starting to look like a classic Maserati again, right now she is difficult to recognize while undergoing massive heart surgery...[see below]

Kind regards

Kim

12. jarnved

jarnved Karting

Nov 8, 2013
    Denmark
    Hi Kim
    I has a reciept on new floormats from 2008 and they have used the old rubber mats. There is no rubber mats behind and passenger side but I doesn't know if the black mats are correct!
    It's smooth real leather on the instrument cluster. And i'm very happy that this "rollo" behind to hide what i have in my luggage room is with the car.
    Your car looks great so why this big project? or is it "just" an engine overhauling?
    Mine is dripping oil from the clutch hydralic and a little from the cooling system so thats my first project.
    So I look desperatly after a sparepartslist with some explosion pics.
    What you are doing will i do after some years, detail the engine with some wringle paint and make it look great.
    If I find some of interest for you then I will mail to you so please send me a pm.

13. AM1220552

AM1220552 Karting

May 25, 2012
    www.eurospares.co.uk there you find the parts list with exploded view. My indy resto started as a leaky cylinder and grew into a slightly bigger project. I'll PM you :)

Kind regards

Kim

14. jarnved

jarnved Karting

Nov 8, 2013
    Denmark
    #14 jarnved, Feb 12, 2015
  15. AM1220552

AM1220552 Karting

May 25, 2012
    Very nice resto job on the Corv IMHO, guess the Indy has found a good home, Salute!

Kind regards

Kim

16. Serenissma

Serenissma Formula 3

Apr 12, 2008
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Magnus Andersson
    Hi Kim har du köpt en Merak i Sverige?

Magnus

17. AM1220552

AM1220552 Karting

May 25, 2012
    #17 AM1220552, Feb 13, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  18. Bisgaard

Bisgaard Rookie

Feb 14, 2015
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Oluf Bisgaard
    #18 Bisgaard, Feb 14, 2015
    Hi Jarnved
    Congrats, Your Indy looks really great. Nice colour, is that an original?
    You have the EU model with man gearbox, thats nice.
    Here is a pic of my 4900 Indy from 1972, with aut gear. US version, but always in Europe. I've had it for 1½ year, and it runs great. Only problem is the rearend ratio, at 100 km/t the engine runs almost 3000 rpm.
    Good luck with Your new car. :)
    Regards Bisgaard

19. mamamia

mamamia Karting

Dec 14, 2010
    England
    Full Name:
    Henry Jameson
    Hi Bisgaard,

Nice car, can we please see more photos ?

Is it a matching numbers example ?

The Indy, a Maserati that's so underrated, yet so practical. A genuine Grand Tourer!

20. AM1220552

AM1220552 Karting

May 25, 2012
    Bisgaard, that's an interesting combination with the 4900 engine, automatic gearbox, short diff ratio and the borrani alu wheels (14 or 15 inch?). From the picture it looks like it is missing the front side turn signal light or has it been repositioned just in front of the Vignale logo?

Kind regards

Kim

21. Bisgaard

Bisgaard Rookie

Feb 14, 2015
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Oluf Bisgaard
    #21 Bisgaard, Feb 17, 2015
    Hi again
    The car was bought new in France, later it was in Belgium, and now DK.
    I dont know if it has matching numbers, how can I see that? There is no engine number on the plate. I have no reason to beleive that it should not be original. Only the diff might have been changed, due to the short ratio. I will never reach 241 km/t...
    It has 14 inch Borrani's. The turn signals is there, not yellow glass but yellow bulb. The back light is also with red turn lights (US).
    Here is a few photos.
    Bisgaard

22. AM1220552

AM1220552 Karting

May 25, 2012
    Bisgaard, IMHO the 1708 number indicate a late second series Indy (America) with 4.9 engine. (Mine is 1838 and is Series III with the Citroën brakes and the third ventilator grille on the hood)

I am a bit surprised to see that she standing on 14 not 15" Borrani's but that doesn't have to mean anything other than she was delivered with them or have had a set of original 15" Borrani rims replaced with 14". If you ask Maserati Classiche you will find out what she was delivered with originally from the factory.

The differential ratio gear is changeable, Salisbury is pretty common stuff that all proper Jaguar\Range Rover workshops should be able to assist you with. (if you want to travel faster at lower rpm's) Make sure you consider replacing your rear disks if you decide to drop the rear axsle for changing to a longer ratio. The disks are very difficult to remove and requires heat as well as a ton of sweat and a few pints of blood before they will come off.

In front of the engine underneath the waterpump you can see the engine number, easiest way is to hold your mobilephone down there and take a picture of it. It starts with 107

The cooler (is it an oilcooler?) in front of your coil in the engineroom I don't recognise. Do you know the story for why it's there and what it does?

Kind regards

Kim

23. jarnved

jarnved Karting

Nov 8, 2013
    Denmark
    #23 jarnved, Feb 18, 2015
    Hi
    Is it possible to get those lamps which are placed in the engine compartment, see pics.

And how is it possible to get informations about what options your car was delivered with first time by Maserati ?

There are two diff. engine no. on my id plates, 1987 and 1988 !! What means that? see pics.

24. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    I think there is a lamp of the right sort on ebay now with this item number.

If not, I think OKP.de has the part.

Regards. Mark.

25. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    of this thread. I sold six Indy's Dec 2013. really gave them away. I was really having health problem. sold 4 for $25,000 and the other two cheap. I have books for this car as well as extra parts, body as well as mechanical. they are stored away and will not be unpacked until Sept.