homestead miami help | FerrariChat

homestead miami help

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by 95spiderman, Feb 10, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    does anyone have any good tips on driving homestead? I went to trackpedia site but seems its down. that's a shame it was good resource. I have copy of track map and watched some youtube vids but would like some more details. probably doing infield course without banking. thanks

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #2 WILLIAM H, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Homestead is my home track & my Team mate & I won our Class in the Miami 500 last year in my Corvette DP.

Turn 1 is fast, can be VERY fast. Some Pros brake AFTER turn 1 which takes a lot of nads but theres a big grassy field out there so nothing to hit.

You then drift out to Turn 2 which is easy

You can give her full throttle for a second between 2 & 3

Turn 3 has a crazy late apex way on the far side where you can't even see it

Between Turn 3 & 4 it gets slippery

The esses are easy and you can put the power down at the apex of 5 going on to back straight

Turn 6 & 7 are a 180 you want to apex a little late so you can drift out all the way out. I shift up before the Apex of 7 so I'm in 3rd at beginning of Straight.

Turn 8 is quite tight and exit is slippery so careful putting power down too quickly.

Turn 9 is just a flat out kink

Turn 10 is very fast & challenging. You need to be ready to flick the car to the right into the field should you mess up. Ive seen lots of cars spin left into the wall. Theres a big Blue apron you can use & you can go really fast through there

Turn 11 can be fast too as exit is nice & wide

Turn 12 & 13 are tight & slow

Turn 14 is another flat out kink
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    thanks a lot. very helpful

4. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    The banking is highly addictive, I love it :D

5. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    How different is this banking from poconos?

6. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I ran Pocono a lot years ago.

Typical banking we use at Pocono is a giant 90 degree

At Homestead it's a giant 180

Unless Pocono has been repaved lately Homestead is a lot smoother and just as fast

If you do the banking you will see a large white stripe on pavement before banking starts

If you are new to banking I'd start there around 90 or 95 & slowly increase speed

Enjoy :D

7. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    So they both have similar steepness and then at homstead youre in the banking for longer time. Daytona banking more steep than either?
    Thanks

8. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Daytona definitely steeper, Pocono may b a little steeper

9. rcallahan

rcallahan F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 15, 2002
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Bob Callahan
    I agree with most of Williams comments. FYI, I'm coming from the view of a CH 458.

T1, I lift slightly just before the turn in then back full throttle then hard brake for T2.

going to T2 hard throttle then hard brake and maintenance throttle between T2 and T3 then full throttle asap coming out of 4. Use all the track (from left to right). T6 hard late brake and late apex to T7 then use all of the track (there is a service road late in the turn, use it).
    T7, to me is something you have to work up to to be a full throttle asap without running into the grass on the left side of the track (not so good) then Full throttle to 8. Hard braking at T8, hit the apex and Full throttle all the way to 10. We brake slightly just before turn in to T10 the try to cross over the big X on painted on the track. If you turn in before that the car will still be turning as you head for 11 and if the rear comes out at that point you will most likely be headed for the tire wall (don't ask me how I know). Full throttle to 11 then medium brake, full throttle to 12 medium brake then maintenance throttle to 13 then flat until until a slight lift as you turn then flat to T2.

Hope the helps. what car are you going to drive?

Bob

10. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Great help guys. Thanks
    On vacation from ny so going to be a rental.
    What ever can get, mustang, vette, etc

11. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Drove track tonight and was great event. Hard to be fast in turns 1 and 10 bc couldnt see turn in clearly in dark. Is the x on track into 10 intersecting lines in tar not paint? I did use that somewhat. No matter though, had tons fun. Advice from you guys was great.

Rental c7 vette with auto and no performance options. Did have mich ss tires though. Nice car with good handling, braking, and steering. Tc/esp too invasive. Motor a bit dull and new 8sp auto is bad. Over heats after 10 minutes so have to cool down for 5 min. And slow to shift. Would not order a z06 with it unless tested it on track first.

12. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    So in your opinion, the manual might be the better option?

13. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Auto fine for street cruising but no way do you want it on road course. Afaik, zo6 and base auto differ in programimg only. Same basic box. I would want to test it out first but how can one do that?

Btw my car had the std seats and they were fantastic. Best support of any car ive.driven. holds you tight in legs, hips, side and.shoulder. sport seat must be totally amazing.