Dealer crashes customers car | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Dealer crashes customers car

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by RASHI 36, Jul 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    OK - so now that the first and second act are over (car wrecked, car repaired) - I have two simple questions:

Who ended up paying for this (and what did they have to pay)?

Who indeed was the dealer who perpetrated this loss?

2. chet

chet F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2007
    Chicago
    update?

3. Rich.Organic

Rich.Organic Karting

Apr 11, 2013
    Caribbean
    I agree, the dealer needs to be named. Especially given the appalling delays and costs involved.

4. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    No update at all? You got the discussion going would be nice to conclude it... Even if you don't name names..

5. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Yes.. people are interested in the outcome.

6. speedsterr

speedsterr Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2013
    Seems like they went for a joy ride and screwed this car up. Lawyer up and sue their ass. You'll get on autoblog, motortrend, and get a new car and probably more money. There is plenty of precedent for this lol.

7. kev360

kev360 Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2006
    You guys are famous. This thread is discussed in SCM magazine in "legal files"

8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

so, what does it say??

9. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    New car replacement or nothing!

10. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I wouldn't worry about improper installation at the factory. I would get it like you want it. The dealer is not going to want to have to place a very high MSRP car with someone else and at the same time make you mad.

11. johnb@macarbon

johnb@macarbon Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    John Borchelt
    Legal Files is one of my favorite columns in SCM. In a nutshell, the article says the OP should have filed a claim with his insurance and let them battle the dealer's insurance. That 'service' is part of what you pay your insurance premium for. The article says the OP is entitled to have the car repaired and compensation for the diminished value of the car. However, he may need to get his own legal help in order to get the diminished value claim. (I'm assuming that SCM assumed his policy did not have a diminished value aspect) The SCM author back-of-envelope guessed the diminished value at $75K so it would probably be worth looking into. The author also says that since the FF already had 1700 miles on it, it was a used car, had depreciated, that the OP was not entitled to a new FF.

For anyone following this thread, its worth reading.

12. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    The diminished value question was always at the heart of the issue. There was never any doubt about fault or that the OP was not entitled to a new FF. The problem is how to get the diminished value actualized. One way would have been to seek compensation under the dealer's insurance property damage clause. If the OP filed a claim with his insurance, he would have lost control over that because the OP's carrier would have no interest in recovering that loss since it was not part of the repair. Thus the OP would be forced to take direct legal action to recover diminished value. I think the 75K figure is ball park correct so it is indeed worth pursuing.

13. johnb@macarbon

johnb@macarbon Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    John Borchelt
    I was only summarizing what the article said. And three pages back was about all I had time to read.

The other point of the SCM article is making sure you have an agreed-upon-value insurance policy for a collectible or high value car.

Anyway, I hope it all works out.

14. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    Is the dealer outed in SCM?

I hope the OP will follow up when the dust is settled. He has an opportunity to help the community here by giving both a warning to would be buyers and a disincentive to would be sellers.

15. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

nope.

D

16. Greg23

Greg23 Karting
    Owner

Jun 1, 2011
    CH, ITA, USA
    Full Name:
    Greg B.
    This has happened to me once a few years back! Damage was higher than 50k. Car ended up back in Italy at the factory and got repaired! Dealer was perfect during the whole process.

17. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Could the situation be, that the dealer gave the OP a better offer, in return of not naming them here on F-Chat? Or would the dealer be able to take the OP to court, if he outed them on F-Chat?

18. BUFFOON

BUFFOON Rookie

Dec 1, 2014
    I wonder what happened?

IMHO, I think the fact that the car became 'fit to enjoy' (fixed) voids all claims for loss of enjoyment (that $2,500 p/d rental costs).

The OP has not trash talked or been emotional throughout the whole ordeal on this forum.
    I think it'd be hard for the dealer to file anything against the OP, after all it's not defamation if the disclosed information is purely factual. Disclosing the dealer's info (identifying the dealer) would be risky but perhaps it's not enough to be dangerous. (But purely my opinion)

In the worst case scenario - I would take the car, and put it through unbelievable amounts of tests, diagnosis, quality tests, everything & anything to prove that it is NOT the same car to the standard as it would be when new (or 3 months old etc). Just to become the world's greatest PIA. Hahahahaha.

But I'm back to the original curiosity...
    I wonder what happened.

19. s420merc

s420merc Rookie

Dec 7, 2003
    I was in the same situation but with my Lexus
    I took it in for Service and the tech crashed the car.
    It was not totaled but had significant damage.
    The dealer gave me a fully loaded car for no money
    Out of my pocket. Props to Prestige Lexus in NJ.
    They owed up and ate the difference on my car vs new car.

20. patekswiss

patekswiss Formula 3

Mar 31, 2014
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo
    It would certainly be standard practice, if a settlement was reached, to execute a full release of claims on both sides as well as a confidentiality or non-disparagement agreement.

The latter usually only last for a set period of years, often being viewed as possibly unenforceable if they go on forever (in deference to the First Amendment or as against 'public policy'). So eventually we might hear something.

Can't be entirely sure what the radio silence means, but I suspect that at least it means that the OP feels that the dealer or Ferrari is trying to work with him constructively and that speaking publicly would not be net additive.

21. Alizzi

Alizzi Karting

Aug 7, 2014
    Victoria, Australia
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    So, update on the Ferrari conundrum ? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. dry4re

dry4re Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2005
    AZ
    Had a similar experience with mercedes many years ago (beyond statute of limitations) where they gave me a brand new car and I signed a confidentiality agreement as well as a non disparagement clause. My guess is that is why sucker an has gone radio silent

23. dry4re

dry4re Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2005
    AZ
    Meant op has gone silent....sorry

24. AndyBL

AndyBL Rookie

Dec 7, 2014
    My transport company ruined my hood and 2 lights, which have been replaced by Ferrari dealer and paid by the transports insurance. Should I go after the transport company/insurance for depreciation?

25. OST

OST Karting

Jan 23, 2012
    Ok I don't get it, shouldn't there be an insurance clause and policy which allows the insurance company to sue the other party on your behalf? Also in terms of contract law, would it be too harsh to file for punitive damages as well as other damages?

You should also email Ferrari S.p.A so they could give these guys some pressure.