Who's come from a 355 to a 430? | FerrariChat

Who's come from a 355 to a 430?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Harrydino, Feb 14, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Harrydino

Harrydino Karting

Apr 9, 2013
    London
    Full Name:
    Harry
    So whos come from a 355 to a 430? What's your experience of the differences of ownership? Any regrets?
    I'm in the middle of making the switch from a manual spider 355 to a 430 spider F1 with carbon breaks..

2. secondsole

secondsole Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2013
    O-H!
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I've had them both. The 355 is the last 'classic' Ferrari. The 430, 2 gen later is better in every mechanical way. If I had to go back and choose again I'd love to have both, for the days I liked the old 6spd, but would say a 430 is way superior. Chances are, you won't ever miss your 355, but try and swing both if you can.

3. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I did. I had one of the "bad" 355's. Mine was a 1998 355F1 Spider. I had issues from everything from the F1 system to the spider top. It was constantly in the shop and I dumped thousands of dollars into it. But when it ran the sound and the go kart feel is something that I miss. Having said that, I have no regrets though. The 430 is so much better and more refined. You will really enjoy it as I do mine. Also the looks of a 430 spider are second to none. I have the CCM brakes as well and they really look great. Enjoy and welcome to the club.

4. houtie123

houtie123 Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Loved them both, but for different reasons.

My 97 355 manual spider was (and is) jaw droppingly beautiful, in a way later models don't quite emulate. But it had foibles (yes, make the female comparisons). The hood was unbelievably complex, good, pieces of trim were fragile, it could be temperamental, and it was becoming dated mechanically.
    My F1 430 is everything the 355 was not : bullet proof, quality build, superb mechanicals.
    , less sticky switches. And whilst just as dramatic, there are some design compromises.
    In summary. Love both. Will always love them both. But I love what I've got. For no other reason than I can have the hood down AND see into the engine.

5. sunir

sunir Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2014
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sunir
    I have a gated 3 pedal F430 Berlinetta (i prefer coupes over convertibles) it's everying by way of driving experience, feedback, feel, and satisfaction that a Ferrari should be. That said the lines and looks of the F355 Berlinetta is undeniably striking in it's classic lines and charectrristics. I remember being in college undergrad in the late 90's and seeing Nicholas Cage drive that yellow F355 gated Berlinetta in the movie The Rock and thinking to myself wow I love that car and hope to own one (F355 or any Ferrari like it w the gated shifter, berlinetta lines, prominent sound, racy good looks for that matter) someday!

6. DannyR

DannyR Karting

Apr 6, 2005
    Alabama
    Full Name:
    Danny Roberts
    I went from an NSX to a 308 GTSi to a 355 Spider and now I have a 430 Coupe.
    I miss the 308 more than any of the other 3. Like a first true love I guess.
    The 430 combines everything I love about the 308 and 355 while feeling it has the quality
    and ride feel of the NSX.

7. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    I have owned two 355 GTS F1, late cars with fiorano handling package. Moved to 430 Scuderia three years ago. Still missing my 355 but wouldn't want to go back. Cost of ownership has been similar.

8. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Same thing here.. I still have the 355 (manual), but it is already for sale, because i replaced it with a Scud. The main thing I will miss in the 355 is the manual gearbox, where i can do burnouts and basically all that play with the car, that the clutch pedal offers. And of course that looks...

But for sure I will not miss it that much at all, because the Scud (and basically all the 430s with carbon-ceramic brakes) is in a different league when it comes to accelerating, stoping and taking corners. The 430 is definately a better car in any way, so if you can afford only 1 Ferrari, the 430 is absolutely the better choice.

9. Harrydino

Harrydino Karting

Apr 9, 2013
    London
    Full Name:
    Harry
    Great, thanks for all the comments. I can only have the one car unfortunately. The 355 being part of the deal for the 430!

10. yronZFF

yronZFF Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2009
    FIVE-O
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I had a manual spider 355 and I now have a manual spider 430. I loved my 355 and it was the only car that I felt a little sad letting go. Maybe because it was my first Ferrari, or maybe because I just loved that car. The 355 has a sound that is just so sweet, that I still miss.

That being said, the 430 is just so solid and built much better that I enjoy not having to worry about anything. The 355 always felt fragile in comparison.

Would I get another 355? Probably not. I enjoy my 430 stick and can't think of any other car I'd rather have. At least for now.

Good luck in your choice!