Hans Device - no roll bar or harness | FerrariChat

Hans Device - no roll bar or harness

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Rob in Potomac, Feb 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rob in Potomac

Rob in Potomac Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2006
    Potomac, MD
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #1 Rob in Potomac, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Is it possible or wise to just use a Hans without harnesses?

I just replaced my white 997 GT3, track set up with a black 991 GT3 with street seats and no roll bar and wondering whether it is advisable to just upgrade my Hans.

I really am not inclined to replace the seats (although I have my 996 cup seats from my former GT3) but don't want to put a roll bar into the new car.

Thoughts appreciated.

Rob in Potomac
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    Hans needs a harness to work.

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
  4. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
  5. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    No can do. And tracking a GT3 in 3pt belts vs. a harness is tough. You will spend a lot more energy holding yourself in the seat....hard to drive like that.

BTW, what tires will you run on the track? Are there Hoosiers in that size yet?

6. rcallahan

rcallahan F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 15, 2002
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Bob Callahan
    You might as well save the money for a HANS if you don't have a full harness it won't work and you'll look like an idiot.

7. Gary Milgrom

Gary Milgrom Rookie

Jan 31, 2015
    Atlanta USA
    Full Name:
    Gary Milgrom
    #7 Gary Milgrom, Feb 16, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
    Disclaimer: I work for HANS Performance Products, makers of the HANS device. Thank you for the opportunity of posting in this forum.

The advice given above is correct, the HANS device has been designed to work with the double shoulder belts used in multi point harnesses. However, if you want a head restraint that can be worn on your body "backpack style" and works with the OEM 3-point belt, Simpson also sells the Hybrid and R3 devices. These are popular among HPDE instructors. You can find them on the Simpson website here: NASCAR Safety | Simpson | Car Racing Safety Belts, Restraints

Please feel free to contact me directly with any head restraint or cockpit safety questions.

Gary Milgrom
    VP, HANS Performance Productss
    gmilgrom (at) teamsimpson (dot) com

8. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Pic of the seats? If it has a separate headrest, you can often run a 4 point harness using a harness bar which would allow you to run the hans and be better than the factory 3 point. If it has an adjustable thigh extension, you can run the anti submarine strap(s) through there for a 5 or 6 point. The harness does more to hold you in the seat than a sport seat with a 3 point. Just an idea depending on the seat style in the car.

9. Rob in Potomac

Mar 3, 2006
    Potomac, MD
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Thanks for all your responses. I should have been clearer in my question, what I was wondering was the ability to use something like the backpack style described by Gary of Hans - and if anyone here has used this. I have been using harnesses and a Hans device, but of course that was in racing seats and with a roll bar.

So, the precise question is: is the backpack style device anatomically sufficient to protect my neck and spine in the event of a significant off, while only being strapped in a three point belt?

As far as the harnesses keeping me secure in the seat, Porsche now has adjustable seats that compress your sides and, based on my limited time so far, feel very secure.

Rob in Potomac

10. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    When I was racing I used the R3 style (although I don't think it was 'youth' size) backpack. In fact, I still have it at home. I can try to dig it out of you would like.

I did not feel comfortable wearing that without the 6 point harness systems in the race cars. It only took 1 or 2 times while I was instructing in a car with a standard 3 point harness to realize that it simply wouldn't be effective in a crash.

In fact, even after getting the chest strap quite snug, you still have a significant amount of mobility in your upper spine.

My honest recommendation is to either put in a 6 point harness to use a HANS or don't use one at all.

11. Rob in Potomac

Mar 3, 2006
    Potomac, MD
    Full Name:
    Robert

This is what my preliminary conclusion was - was sort of hoping I was wrong. But, I am not racing, although lap times are fairly quick, and I drove with 3 point belt in my 360 for years. Will likely run with standard seats and belts at Summit Point and the Glen and make a final decision later. Will be funny using my Hans device in some student cars and not in mine.

Rob

12. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal

Gary,

I always thought of the backpack style (R3) claims of efficacy with 3 pt belts as a "red herring." First to my knowledge there is little sled testing of R3 "and" 3pt belts. Second there is no black box data of R3 crashes in real life. HANS has the most real time data with known 100G impact survivals. Third a head and neck device is designed to do one thing prevent a specific type of injury, the basilar skull fracture, which is not a typical mode of death or injury with 3 pt belts. So while an R3 sounds like an OK idea on paper from a safety perspective is the R3 any better than a condom in the wallet but still having sex? I think that the OP needs to think of safety as a system. OEM designers go to great lengths to build a safe car and we need to be very careful when we think a modification is a safety improvement. I still think the OP is better off with a HANS and a 6 point parachute modified harness (takes no permanent modifications) or the 3pt OEM system as designed. I would love to hear comments on my statements above and ready to learn something.

13. Gary Milgrom

Gary Milgrom Rookie

Jan 31, 2015
    Atlanta USA
    Full Name:
    Gary Milgrom
    Gentlemen; I hear your concerns. I will do some research and get back to you. Let me make sure of things before I post. Rob in Potomac, you are correct the R3 used to come in Adult sizes and we actually have a few of those left, but the newer Hybrid models have replaced it. Thank you.

14. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    Thanks for offering to do this research.

I would also be interested in knowing whether or not there is any data comparing the R3 style devices with the traditional HANS devices when used with a standard 6 point harness system.

I've never personally used the traditional HANS, so I can't say for sure, but I always had a mild concern with my R3 sliding around on me if there was an unfortunate event and allowing more head/neck movement that a traditional HANS.

Had I moved into actual racing rather than time trials, I likely would have upgraded to a new HANS device, but unfortunately life events precluded me from moving into actual racing at the time.

15. Gary Milgrom

Gary Milgrom Rookie

Jan 31, 2015
    Atlanta USA
    Full Name:
    Gary Milgrom
    #15 Gary Milgrom, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Regarding Enzymatic Racer's concerns about head motions, I can't objectively answer that because head excursion is not measured by any test, rather the forces generated on the neck are measured. However, the most common complaint/inquiry we get from people with new HANS devices is "my tethers seem too long, I can move my head too much" which is similar to your concern. I can tell you testing shows the head moves a LOT more without a restraint - please see attached photo.

Regarding using and testing a backpack style restraint with OEM 3-point belts, when on a race track Simpson recommends using a complete cockpit safety system including a full containment seat, Snell rated helmet, FIA or SFI approved head restraint and a 7-point seatbelt harness system. Backpack style restraints have been tested and do reduce neck loads somewhat, but the testing has been done by other parties and we cannot release their data. The bottom line is a helmet, 3-point harness and Hybrid-style head restraint gives more protection than a helmet and 3-point harness alone but is not what we recommend for the safest solution.

I have attached a second graphic that outlines a complete cockpit safety system, and we have produced a video that looks at cockpit safety too. That is available at this link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=691_FgzuKaI

I have a PDF version of this video if anyone desires but I'm not sure if I can post a PDF. PM me and I'll send you a copy or a download link.

Thank you,

Gary Milgrom
    gmilgrom (at) teamsimpson (dot) com

16. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    Thanks much for sharing this very useful information Gary!