488 GTB (458 replacement) | Page 88 | FerrariChat

488 GTB (458 replacement)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by synergy, Aug 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Does anyone need more power than what the current 458 delivers?

Ferrari traded their Italian soul for German efficiency.

2. Milanno

Milanno Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2012
    That is quite interesting statement nowadays, since we can see that German-owned Lamborghini is not giving up from their recognizable values - striking design and screaming engine. They got from Germans vastly improved reliability and some buttons :D

3. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Do you think the Huracan is striking? I know taste is subjective, but I find it bland and very boring to look at. No matter how you slice it, Lamborghini is also moving away from their characteristic "madness" which is what a lot of us loved about them. In my eyes, it's far from the purebred marque it used to be.

4. F430 Driver

F430 Driver Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    Yes. Never too much power. No such thing. When you are pushing down the straight and have traction there is no limit.

I'm sure if you put the 458 and the 488 on the track together you will be staring at the back end of the 488 the entire time.

We still have a ways to go until the 488 line successors hit the 1000HP numbers that LaF has. It will happen someday as the hybrid trickles down and engine power/torque go up even more.

5. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    I am pretty sure the jump to turbos was required to "show progress' in emissions to government bureaucrats around the world. There is informal evidence that given their druthers they would have preferred not to go that route. But I do agree that the current 458 provides as much useable power, in fact more, as one can ever need for road use. Still there are those who enjoy the neck snapping torque of the 800 hp turbo, at least for the ~ two seconds that one can use it.

6. Milanno

Milanno Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2012
    Just like you said, taste is subjective.

In my eyes Lamborghini made amazing job with Huracan`s design. It is striking, but not vulgar! I saw one in yellow, and it is everything but boring. Finally they learned that detailed surface treatment can gain much more attention than crazy shapes all over the car.

On the other hand, I am little worried that Ferrari is taking silly game with crazy shapes on 488 GTB. I hope it looks little more tamed in real life than on those renders.

7. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    I saw a few at Lamborghini of Long Island. While a little more 'tude would be great, overall they did a good job styling their workhorse.

A manual 2WD edition, the Ferruccio?, would be great.

8. Argosy

Argosy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2013
    First technical info on the new R8

2 models for now

R8 V10 550 hp
    R8 V10 Plus 610 hp

Price for the Plus model will be slightly lower than 991 Turbo S in Germany.

9. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    I think the Huracan is very pretty (just like I think Lambo did a great job with the Aventador). I think Top Gear UK best summarized it by saying that Lamborghini probably designed the Huracan with the intent of "selling" a car with mass appeal that will sell for 10 years, in contrast to many Lambo's in the past have had striking/aggressive/mad/and after a few years-a very "dated" designs. This may not be what most of us believe a "lambo" should be, as many of us used to place Lambo in the category of a show-off type car with less than ideal driving capability. Many Tifosi would just dismiss "lambo's" as all show and not serious track cars. I think the base Huracan will still look quite timeless and modern in 10 years. They will spice things up with Superleggera and other special editions through the 10 years of production. I think, Lamborghini decided to try and compete more with Ferrari to make an overall great "entry level" exotic to legitimately compete with the 458/488 and 12C/650 cars on road and track. I say well done-as this makes all the other competitors step up their games. I give a big nod to Lamborghini for staying with a naturally aspirated V10 in this new era of smaller turbo engines with less than flattering sounds. Despite the criticism that the huracan took from the 3 top gear hosts, the Huracan with the Stig behind the wheel managed to get the 4th fastest track time ever for a road car (besting 458, Aventador, and 12C) and only beaten by super exotics like the Pagani Huyara and BAC Mono and the ultra light go cart V8 Ariel Atom. I say well done Lamborghini!

10. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    That's a very good value

11. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    So V8 NA is dead for AUDI, next RS5 will probably have TTV8 engine, the same as in RS7

12. texex91

texex91 Karting

Nov 11, 2014
    USA
    I hate to say I told you so to someone here...but yes.

Think a $195k USD for Plus will be a GREAT price point. About $80k less than Lambo.

13. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    No different than a catastrophic failure of the transmission or engine - which does happen...but you rarely hear about. It will be important to read what any Ferrari warranty extension includes or excludes specific to turbos. It probably will not not cover internal or external seals or leaks - those are excluded in the extended warranty on my Scud for the engine and transmission. It's basically just in case the engine or transmission explodes.

But we are now talking outside the new 3-5 year warranty I presume (renewable to 12 years if I understand correctly)...most people don't even keep these things that long in the major markets.

My Audi was a 2.7L V6 biturbo and wife's was a 1.8L I4 turbo. I like the R8 V10 and the RS7, but don't want to own them : )

14. Argosy

Argosy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2013
    I think that R8 V10/V10 Plus will make a very compelling choice at this price point and that new McLaren P13(cca 550 hp, more expensive) will have a very hard life.

More tech data

At 1454 kg, 50 kilos lighter than the old R8
    40 % higher torsional rigidity
    0-100 kmh 3.2 s, top speed 330 kmh(g
    for the Plus model).

15. Milanno

Milanno Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2012
    IMHO that kind of thinking is very wrong. Luca di Montezemolo made insane efforts in order to remove awful Ferrari reputation known as "second-owner-disaster". In last decade Ferrari is known for amazing reliability, lets hope turbos wont change that with (possible future) issues.

16. FE458IT

FE458IT Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto
    The new R8 V10 plus should be the nuts.

Lets just hope Audi delivers styling wise.

17. Milanno

Milanno Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2012
    Dont expect too much.

18. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Just a general observation about Ferrari. IMO one of the things that makes Ferrari different is that they are not afraid to take some risks their models and model development. It doesn't always work that successfully but when it works they are magnificent automobiles. Compare for example the evolution of the mid engined V8s with competitors (such as Lamborghini) and sub-competitors (such as Porsche). What you see in those brands is successive evolutionary development of their basic themes. Each new model is derivative of the previous ones. Brand identification is critical. Most of the time Ferrari doesn't do that. Whether or not you like it, the 488 is not a simple evolution of the 458 even though it is on the same platform.

19. Milanno

Milanno Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2012
    Design wise 488 is pretty simple evolution of 458 (compared to 360-F430 transition).
    On other hand, 458-488 transition is very similar to 348-F355 transition.

20. Valerian

Valerian Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    George
    Ferrari did really great job. Not single photo leaked before premire.

21. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Yes I noticed that too. Pretty astonishing when you consider how many people must be involved in the project. Given that this is Italy, maybe everyone was made an offer they couldn't refuse!

22. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    It's rarely company employees that are responsible for leaks. It's either lucky spotters, overly-eager journalists or nosy clients. Ferrari keep the car out of sight from those parties and enforce strict embargos on the press. Not a single media outlet published photos of the 488 before precisely 12:00 CET. Not 11:59, 12:00.

23. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Amazing

24. arhimede

arhimede Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
    are there any photos to be released ahed of geneva? Maranello launch event or so?

25. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I think you missed my point.

But that is accurate for the US. Most people only own these things 2-3 years.