about Jim Carpenter | FerrariChat

about Jim Carpenter

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by patata, Oct 22, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. patata

patata Karting

Mar 29, 2007
    I see some images of the work of Jim Carpenter... Have a web for see more works?

2. BIGHORN

BIGHORN In Memoriam

Sep 18, 2006
    FLORIDA/NEW MEXICO
    Full Name:
    JOHN F KELLY
    Jim was around in the 80s doing modifications/replicas. got into trouble with Ferrari. havent heard about him for a long time

3. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    i bought a sweet front fiberglass bumper from him a few years ago for the 308 - bolted right to the us shock mounts...

4. fiber308

fiber308 Rookie

Apr 4, 2004
    Arizona
    You can email me and i can give you all the pics you want or come down to the shop in Scottsdale and see for yourself Thankls jim

5. fiber308

fiber308 Rookie

Apr 4, 2004
    Arizona
    Hi I just wanted to clarify Ferrari sued me on trade dress issues but brought it in light of a Kit car such as the McBurnie Miami Daytona Everything we have always done has been done on original Ferrari cars and have been disclosed as such What we do is not a kit car and the cars worked on are Ferrari and at the end of the day we as owners of Ferraris have a right to do whatever we choice with our cars We ended each going our own way as what was being done was so original cars not a kit car I don't know why I'm even taking the time to respond but I thought you might like a clarification thanks jim

6. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Met Jim years ago I think at the Chicago Ferrari show, subsequently bought the molds he had made to duplicate the 288 GTO Evoluzione from someone to whom he had sold his business.

The molds were incredible, nothing cheap about them. I have to believe parts pulled off of any the molds Jim had made would be of great quality.

Sold the Evo molds back to Jim two years ago.

7. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Jim, what is your email address or an otherwise good way to reach you? Thanks!

8. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Jim knowingly screwed me for 2 grand.
    Do a search for other examples of the same.
    Stay far away from him.

9. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
  10. BIGHORN

BIGHORN In Memoriam

Sep 18, 2006
    FLORIDA/NEW MEXICO
    Full Name:
    JOHN F KELLY
    e
    Jim, I did not intend any negative inference in my post. I met you years ago and I thougt the work you were doing then was excellent

John

11. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    +1

12. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I met Jim September 17th and bought a Boxer body from him.

He was very genuine with me and we both made a new friend.

Thanks Jim. :)

13. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    good luck

14. Vintage47

Vintage47 Karting

Oct 16, 2005
    I bought a Ferrari 330GT engine from Jim Carpenter several years ago. He represented it as complete except for distributors and carburetors. I had both available, so: no problem, I thought.
    The engine arrived with the wrong crankshaft (a 412 unit, judging by the stroke), no crankshaft chain sprocket or oil pump drive gear, no harmonic damper pulley, a timing case with no internal parts (shafts, idlers, oil pump, etc.), no water pump, no flywheel, camshafts without splined distributor drives, sleeves epoxied into the block (had to be machined out), one head that was decent, the other virtual junk, missing rocker arms, no windage tray, baffles or oil pickup tube in the sump, no dipstick, no water tubes, a spare set of sleeves for a different type engine (useless), no chain wheels or chain wheel covers, no chain tensioner, missing half the valve spring retainers and all the collets, no breather castings or caps, no head studs, etc.. Oh, and no attempt to make any of it right.
    Needless to say, but I won't be doing business with Jim Carpenter again.

15. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks