488 GTB (458 replacement) | Page 93 | FerrariChat

488 GTB (458 replacement)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by synergy, Aug 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    It's fantastic! Quick, now, everybody dump your 458s so I can get a good deal on an Italia!

2. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    +1000
    Someone has to tell the emperor that he's not wearing any clothes. I must be living in Alice in Wonderland. Up is down, and down is up. The 488 GTB just doesn't look right. Am I the only one that sees this? The rear end is particularly awful. I'm not a hater. I'm just an interested observer that is honestly disappointed.

3. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Launch a new car and no roar of a V8? Hold onto your 458's.

4. MJamieson77

MJamieson77 Rookie

Aug 11, 2012
    All I can say is bring back Pininfarina!

5. Argosy

Argosy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2013
    A car needs to be seen in 4D to properly judge. I'll admit some of the pictures reveal some ungainly proportions and not so nice details.

As to the sound, well.... Thanks, Obama! :D

6. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That's actually the first thing I thought as well when seeing these new pictures.

7. zakeen

zakeen Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Czech Republic
    Some info regarding the 488 GTB

The name comes from the size of each cylinder as Ferrari always had the numbers mean something and thats where it comes from. The GTB is from the 308 GTB the first of the V8s series, also the bigger air intake on the side is based on the 308. Like every model they bring out new colours of red and with the 488 it will be "Rosso Corsa Met" and "Grigio Ferro Met".

The 488 GTB will have a Keyless start system on all models.

It runs 1:23 around the Fiorano Circuit. With having 40% faster(from 458) up shifts and down shifts. Making it 6s to accelerate from standstill to hit Rev limiter in 4th gear which is 25% less time then the 458. Having Variable Boost Management to ensure progressive acceleration so you dont feel it has a Turbo. They say the response time is almost the same as a NA. Its a .8s response time. I think the 458 is .65s (maybe someone can confirm)

0-100km/h in 3.0s and 0-200km/h in 8.3s(2.1s faster then 458).

The Ferrari sound is meat to be maintained. By doing this they made Flat Crankshafts and longest exhaust pipes(240mm vs 140mm std). They are all equal in length. They have succeeded with the sound track of the engine to have growing volume as revs increase(the 458 has a decrease after a certain number) and an increase in tone in high revs.

The reason why they had the presentation last night was because it was the 18th of Feb, the year Enzo Ferrari was born.

8. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    I hope it will work better than in Cali T

9. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    +1

10. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Where did you get this colour info from? Thanks in advance.

FWIW "Grigio Ferro Met." is not new but "Historic".

11. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    anything is 'beatable' when it comes to subjective opinions. you think 458 is perfect. I happen to think it has several ungainly faults (the catfish whiskers-flexible front wings, very large windshield -tall and wide, rising lateral lines in the door to front fender sections as opposed to negative sloping, odd 3 exit exhaustvs simple elegant 2). it's all subjective and a series of trade-offs, but it has been received very very well as an overall design and as a machine. hard to argue with its performance, and the vibe it gives off. 488 offers different interpretations for elements in question. I prefer the simpler front end and cleaner rear end.

12. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    You still don't get it after quoting it and re reading it? It's very straight forward.

I was not commenting on what half the people think here. I was commenting on a specific post which is why I quoted it. I also wasn't commenting on my opinion of which is busier.

If you want my opinion, which I doubt. The cleaner front and rear is the 488. Cleaner side is the 458. The Speciale is much busier to me because of the hood and the side wings on the skirts.

13. Milanno

Milanno Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2012
  14. texex91

texex91 Karting

Nov 11, 2014
    USA
    Don't worry that's coming. Once all of the naysayers see it in person and their buddies start showing up in them, all of a sudden it will be "now that I've seen it in person, the lines are amazing"...LOL.

Either way Ferrari will sell everyone of them as usual.

15. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    R8 Plus will have the same exchaust as Huracan? That Lambo sound is great.

16. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    #2317 F2003-GA, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
  18. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Wait 12 months my friend it will happen :)

19. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    There is no question in my mind that the absence of Pininfarina will negatively affect all future Ferrari designs. Having said that, it is also true that it is difficult to successfully modify a design, particularly if it was a good one. Many here have decried the F430 as a bastardization of the 360. Similar things are now being said about the 488. The fact that the Ferrari Centro Stile had to modify a design that was not of their own making added to the problem. A bad analogy that comes to mind is the countless and poor modifications done to former Willys models once production shifted to Brazil from the U.S. When you have no investment in the original design, it is easier to ignore things that should be retained, and to experiment with things that wind up as questionable. I'm not thrilled with the 488, but I do like the rear end somewhat. The front end looks derivative and generic to me, but then I even find the 458 front end, particularly the front grille opening shape, to be generic. Perfection in design is an elusive commodity, and sadly, whether due to design fads, government mandates or the short attention span of today's exotic buyers, I don't think we'll ever see the kind of cohesive and timeless design that marks classic Ferraris such as the 250 GT Lusso or the 275 GTB. Today's exotics are designed for mass markets and to draw attention for its own sake. The 488, while not the best looking of the current crop of exotics, is far from the worst looking. I think that sentiment used to be called a "left-handed compliment"! Fred

20. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Pluses and Minuses:
    Keyless entry a definite plus.
    Faster is a plus if you can use it.
    Turbo sound a minus.
    Low revs a minus.
    No PinanFarina a minus.
    Looks themselves are subjective. You like or not.

My score...2 pluses, 3 minuses.
    For those who just have to have the latest the 488 GTB may be for you.
    The Spider would be my choice but we have not seen it yet.

21. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Phil // Also for your situation, more relative power at high altitudes.

22. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    100% Pininfarina designs, in case no one knew, have the fuel tank on the US driver's side so.....

23. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Well, yes. But the car is plenty fast as is. Would not sacrifice the na sound for it at all. After market exhaust is indeed an option. Had Tubis on F355 GTS and 360 Spider.

24. F430 Driver

F430 Driver Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    In 20 years all cars could be electric so you guys may want to start getting used to vehicles that are not N/A and potentially silent ones. You might need the BMW speaker injection sound if you must have exhaust note!

I'm guessing those here who have driven the Tesla Model S have hated the motor whine of all e-power?

:)