hotwheels 1/64 | FerrariChat

hotwheels 1/64

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by amenasce, Feb 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    My 20mo old son love the hotwheels. Problem is all I can find at target are fake cars that don't exist and maybe every now and then I will find a mustang or bmw. When I look on amazon or ebay, the Ferraris and Porsche go for $6 to $30 each which is crazy when the regular one are 90cts.

Any idea where I can buy them for a regular price? I'd live to buy a few (20/30 etc..).

2. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
  3. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    #3 Vintage V12, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Target and Walmart should have plenty of Porsches (a new yellow one is the most recent). Walmart is the largest dealer of HW in the world. Mattel Hot Wheels no longer has a license with Ferrari, so you won't see any new Ferraris "on the pegs". The last two are a yellow 599 and a grey 599XX that still may be some old stock in the store.

Look on eBay for "Hot Wheels Ferrari Lot" and sort from least expensive first.

5. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    You can't find them at target?

That can't be right.

6. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    #6 bushwhacker, Feb 25, 2015
    Rosey and amenasce like this.
  7. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Very cool, like the 312T4.

8. nopassn

nopassn Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Roy
    Dennis, that's a fantastic collection you've got there! Just amazing. Thank you for sharing. I the F1 cars (Kyoshos?) are so very cool. And the all-red theme is terrific.

9. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    #9 furmano, Feb 28, 2015
  10. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis

Thanks...
    Sweet:), Yeah Kyosho cars are really beautiful.

11. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I had an.excellent original hotwheels collection from 67 to 72. All the best models. Then i went to college and my sister gave them to her kids who destroyed them. Never saw them again. Only thing left is the mag wheel carrying case

12. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    A couple of things I've noticed over the years is the the scale of the Kyosho cars is slightly smaller...not all but some. Another thing about Kyosho depending on the model is that the wheels do not always turn freely.
    Many of the Kyosho cars must be put together, the assembly is fairly easy if your fingers are not too fat and your eyes sharp.
    The days of buying the 97 cent car at Target and Walmart are over unless you are just starting your collection and get the new production models they release. If you want the older and more collectible models prepare to pay the price for many depending on the specific model. Your biggest resource is Ebay but don't forget to factor in the shipping costs for the real cost you will pay for the model. Many of the sellers advertise their price at a low number only to hammer you on shipping to make up difference, of course if you take the time to research many sellers offer free shipping but then the cost is usually higher.
    Be prepared to pay a premium for the Kyosho cars and of course almost all of these cars come from Japan hence the higher shipping costs.
    Another good resource for Hotwheels is 'The Toy Peddler'. Many hard to find and vintage cars are advertised there and a pretty good selection as well. Almost all the sellers there accept PayPal as well.
    Good Hunting !!!!!!!!!!:)

13. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
  14. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Thanks for the link. Nice comparison. I think Kyosho is the best of the three. And yes, prices are double what they should be. But I'm buying them all up. :)

-F

15. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    #15 Mule, Mar 22, 2015
    I grabbed all the 1:64 Kyosho 328s. The dark red and silver are the last two that snuck out last month. Obviously much nicer than Hot Wheels, but starting to get into 1:43 prices. But 328s were always hard to find in any scale.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Auraraptor and Rosey like this.
  16. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Nice. I have the standard red 328 GTB, also in 1/43 from Hot Wheels. :)

I'm putting together a 1/64 Super Ferrari set made from the Kyosho cars, all on one display. They are expensive for the scale but I think that reflects the quality. I suspect sellers won't be able to get those prices for the Bburago's.

-F

17. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
  18. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    #18 furmano, Mar 23, 2015
  19. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Reviving this thread as hunting the 1/64 hotwheels has become a passtime with my 2 sons that we do when we have to grocery shop.

We have around 700 cars so far. Only real cars.

I see on Insta that HW comes out with some amazing cars (i just saw a Tipo 33 Stradale). But lately all we find at Walmart or Target are those fantasy cars. Anyone here hunts HW for fun too? And do you have some tips? Im almost at the point where i will bribe the walmart employee to hit me up when the shipment come in .. :D

amerikalei likes this.
  20. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    There are two types of HW. Basic line on the pegs and Premium. Premium is Car Culture, Replica Entertainment, Boulevard, Team Transport, and Fast and Furious. Check ebay for what they look like and Hot Wheels Wiki Fandom. Premium has the nicer paint and wheels and unique real cars like Lancia, the Tipo 33, and classic Euro cars. Premium does not last long in the store. Still Target and Walmart are the few sources. You will never compete with the guys who go to every store everyday at opening to pick the pegs.

https://hotwheels.fandom.com/wiki/Hot_Wheels

21. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    So there are people who are crazier than me :D. Do they go early in the morning?

22. Gary Sandberg

Gary Sandberg Formula Junior

Funny enough, just got the Ferrari 5-set off ebay.ca. Never been opened. I didn't think the price outrageous either (less than $50 CDN) considering what I paid for two real cars of the set :eek::D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rosey likes this.
  23. jdlegg

jdlegg Karting

Dec 22, 2009
    Bryan
    Full Name:
    James D
    Did this same thing with my kids while they were growing-up. The Ferrari collection is up to several hundred cars. Guess will need to pass them as inheritance one day.

24. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    There are people who go to EVERY store in town, EVERY morning to find some elusive car. Walmart is the largest distributor of HW, and people go to every Walmart within driving distance every day. There are some weird stories on the forums (Hobby Talk) about fights, stalking, theft, confrontations, etc. Most of it comes from the "completism" of having to have every one in a series, or every new release, or every color variation.

Anyway, don't forget Matchbox, which has had a great comeback lately with real cars. Johnny Lightning, M2, Auto World, Racing Champions, and some others for really cool muscle cars and odd stuff like movie and TV cars.

Kyosho is still the go-to for Ferrari display cars, but eBay is full of the previous Hot Wheels Ferrari toys. You will not find any Ferrari in a store, unless you go to a real hobby or collector store, which probably don't exist anymore.

Just today, I got a Matchbox Aston DBR1, a Willys jeep, Mr. Bean's Mini, and a HW GMC Syclone. It's still fun.

amenasce likes this.
  25. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Kinda curious now to go early AM one of these days. Will ask the Walmart people what time/day they get the Hotwheels shipment. Might be fun.