Scam alert on a Mr. Carpenter | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Scam alert on a Mr. Carpenter

Discussion in '308/328' started by chairpilot, Mar 11, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Holy thread resurrection Batman!!

(The post you quoted is from 2008 - did something happen more recently??)

2. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
  3. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    If you do a search on his name, you'll have plenty to read.

Also, I think he keeps coming back on this forum under different user names.

4. nickm

nickm Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Ventura Ca.
    Hi Hank. ;o) How was the show in SB? ;o)

5. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Hey Nick,

The show was not really worth it...not too many cars. I might be down in your neck of the woods soon...I just bought some discount tickets to Jim Hall Kart School. I'll PM you when I'm going to be coming down.

Hank

6. nickm

nickm Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Ventura Ca.
    Sounds cool. Hopefully I'll have those seats finished. I'll find out tomorrow... just got from Vegas an hour ago or so.

7. Vintage47

Vintage47 Karting

Oct 16, 2005
    I bought a Ferrari 330GT engine from Jim Carpenter several years ago. He represented it as complete except for distributors and carburetors. I had both available, so: no problem, I thought.
    The engine arrived with the wrong crankshaft (a 412 unit, judging by the stroke), no crankshaft chain sprocket or oil pump drive gear, no harmonic damper pulley, a timing case with no internal parts (shafts, idlers, oil pump, etc.), no water pump, no flywheel, camshafts without splined distributor drives, sleeves epoxied into the block (had to be machined out), one head that was decent, the other virtual junk, missing rocker arms, no windage tray, baffles or oil pickup tube in the sump, no dipstick, no water tubes, a spare set of sleeves for a different type engine (useless), no chain wheels or chain wheel covers, no chain tensioner, missing half the valve spring retainers and all the collets, no breather castings or caps, no head studs, etc.. Oh, and no attempt to make any of it right.
    Needless to say, but I won't be doing business with Jim Carpenter again.