Airbag | FerrariChat

Airbag

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Shuey2k, Nov 14, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shuey2k

Shuey2k Karting

Nov 14, 2003
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Willi Schumacher
    I am sure I will get a bit flamed for this but I want to take my 4 year old son for a ride in my 355. However, I would feel much better if I could disable the passenger side airbag. What is the easiest way to accomplish this?

Thanks,

Greg

2. Morrie

Morrie Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Sarasota/Asheville
    You won't get flamed by me, Greg. My lady friend is 4'8" and I had the airbags removed from a previous car because of that. As you probably know, several children and short adults have been decapitated by them in otherwise minor collisions.

At Porsche Club events we had two occasions when they deployed on the track with no impact. Both 944s. One when the driver was braking heavily at the end of the front straight at Watkins Glen. Another as a driver came up out of the "lightbulb" at Bridgehampton under full acceleration.

Interestingly, we had another 944 driver lose his brakes and go into the tire wall at the end of the front straight at the Glen, and the bags did not deploy.

I'm glad my Ferrari doesn't have them.