Copyright photographers | FerrariChat

Copyright photographers

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by pterps, Feb 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pterps

pterps F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2006
    Netherlands, Zwolle
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #1 pterps, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Over the years I have seen some great art being created by ferrarichat members (paintings, drawings etc) and there are a lot of great photographers on this forum.

I post some of my Ferrari pictures on the Dutch thread or in the showroom thread.

A few days ago I recognised one of my photo's which had been edited in photoshop or some other postprocessing programm. All of my photo's have my logo on the underside of the photo to make clear that there is a copyright on the photo. And that's the way most photographers work to protect their property.

A few years ago I made some photo's for an Fchat member. I think the result was pretty good and I shared these pictures here on fchat.

I recognised one of these photo's on facebook this week but then after some horrible postprocessing in photoshop to make it look like some fake drawing. But what caught my attention was the fact that there was a new copyright all over the photo! :eek:

The creator of this 'so called' drawing told me it wasn't a photo (which he took from fchat btw) any longer but a drawing and it had cost him a lot of time to create this. Even more time than it took me to take the original picture was wat he told me (!). That's why he took my copyright off and put his own copyright on the photo.

It is clear that this isn't a drawing but just a postprocessed image, so this person has no right to claim it is his creation and put his copyright on.

Even after trying several time to make it clear to this person how things work with copyrights, he still claims it is his drawing so he can put his copyright on it.

I share this in this section to warn other photographers and I like to know what you think of this.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. pterps

pterps F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2006
    Netherlands, Zwolle
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #2 pterps, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    To proof it is my photo and not a new drawing I changed the width of my photo to the width of this drawing and I adjusted the angle and it fits exactly!

Note: the drawing is in the background and my photo is on top of that with an oppacity of 50%.

3. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Go after him relentlessly. People like this need to be taught the hard way. I do believe that some really just don't know it's wrong but it has to stop one way or the other. When I was younger I thought it was "ok" as well until I was educated.

Unfortunately thanks to photoshop there are a lot of "artists" doing exactly what you described. To be 100% clear it is illegal. Just because you run something thru photoshop and throw some paint splatters on it doesn't make it original art. I've even seen this type of work peddled here and it infuriates me to no end.

Post #33 of this thread here:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/ferrari-discussion-not-model-specific-sponsored-algar-ferrari/477135-ive-new-ferrari-garage-2.html

I admire his effort and the work involved but copying an image from Jesse Alexander directly like that is not only wrong but illegal. Yet nobody questions and and heaps praise on the work despite the fact that it is a copy.

Artist may only work off their own images. They can use other images for reference but they must not draw over or duplicate the image in any way shape or form. Hell, most of them aren't bright enough to at least change the reflections. I've seen plenty of "art" that is just a direct copy of an image from a Google search. Matching reflections is the dead give away that they just copied the image.

Unfortunately the general public doesn't know what to ask. They see a canvas "giclee" for cheap and don't even know it is a photo run thru some filters. Until the buying public starts questioning the validity of art this practice will continue.

4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    +1

5. pterps

pterps F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2006
    Netherlands, Zwolle
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks for your response, there are more photos on his website and I guess these also belong to other photographers. I hope more people claim their property. He already removed my photo and I hope he will do the same with other photos from other photographers until he gets permission from the legal owners to use them.

6. franmort

franmort Rookie

Feb 21, 2015
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Full Name:
    frank mortier
    Gentlemen (I don't think there is a lady in this chat room),
    this is an interesting discussion and possibly you heard about the artist Luc Tuymans who copied or at least inspired his work on Katrijn Van Giel's photograph of the Belgian politician Jean-Marie Dedecker. There is a lot of commotion among artists because of the allegation these days and I am wondering if there ever will be a decisive answer. The good thing is that both artists get free-of-charge publicity and possibly reference to the original photographer and/or agreement with the photographer will result into a compromise.

But let me not deviate from the subject "Ferrari" too much. I am no Ferrari owner, neither I have a Ferrari or Ferrari engine painted om my wall (awesome by the way), but I am collecting since half a year 1:43 models. From the cars I bought I am downloading documents, vintage photographs, sometimes high quality images used by auctioneering firms and ... yes I confess - because the photographs are downloadable - some with copyright. So please, even I am documenting myself and not sharing and/or publishing these photographs with others, what would be your advice?

Thanks in advance, Frank

7. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    There is a common misconception that if you alter someone's work it is considered a "new" work and copyrightable. This is not true. Only the copyright hold can make derivative works. I think nearly every artist on the planet has used other artists work as reference without credit at one time or another. When I was in college this was the case with me and others. I stopped doing this and now only use my own photos as reference for any derivative work. These days if you post something on the internet people assume it's in the public domain and fair game, this is WRONG and illegal.

8. henkie

henkie La Passione...
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 13, 2005
    Deil,The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    henkie
    Aren't we talking here about fellow french/spanish Fchat user Christian.Fr ?

9. wr11265

wr11265 F1 Rookie

May 20, 2007
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Joost
    Wat een sukkel Peter. Maar wat kan je er tegen doen?

10. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    If ever there was a reason to ban somebody, then surely this is it?

@Peter: I heard recently there is a search engine that allows you to search the internet on metadata. This way you can find people that use your shots. A friend of a friend was the photographer that took the photo of the bathing monkee with the iPhone, you have probably seen it. He found out that Ashton Kutcher had stripped his copyright off and used it on his FB page by using that search engine.... About - TinEye

Onno

BTW - this site is also interesting: Stolen Camera Finder - find your photos, find your camera

11. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    I looked at his website and this dude is commercially making these images available in print!! Drawing | Christian Oller Photography

It is clear that most, if not all, of these images are not his own and there is no other word for it: he is a thief.

This kind of stuff disgusts me.

Onno

BTW - claiming that they are drawings is pretty darn rich. Anyone with eyes can see that they have not been hand-drawn.

12. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
  13. pterps

pterps F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2006
    Netherlands, Zwolle
    Full Name:
    Peter
    @Henkie, yes it is Christian.fr.

I gave him the chance to say sorry but he kept saying it is drawing. And ignored my claim.

@JazzyO, I already heard about tineye and tracking this 'drawing' was the first thing I did after he claimed it was a drawing. The result of tineye was my original photo...not that I had any doubt, I was just searching for proof.

Thanks to all for the support, I hope he'll get the message and stops doing this.

14. Michele

Michele Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2006
    The Hague, Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel Mulder
    Tuymans lost if I am not mistaken and there has been the same kind of controversy about a painted portrait of our king after an official photograph made by photographer Koos Breukel.

15. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    How so? It's his own house and wall, he can do what he wants. It only gets questionable when his publicity leads to commissions. It gets illegal when he does the same mural for others, especially when he gets paid for it.

16. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    #16 Lesia44, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    Well, well, he's taken the page down. Regardless of copyright issues, the guy's obviously a fraud simply for describing the works as drawings (his words: "my personal drawings"). That's simply a lie. And he would have known that.

Oh, and by the way, the original photo is really nice, the processed version is horrible. And if he's claiming this took him any appreciable amount of time then all I can say is, he really needs to speed up his Photoshopping! If that took you five minutes I'd be asking what you did with the last three of them.

17. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    As a publisher of other people's photos (with permission and royalties paid) what he has done is flat out illegal here in the U.S.

U.S. copyright is clear and it has given protection to the photographer without a copyright even having been filed. Photographer does not even need to own the camera or car. IE Bradley Cooper taking the selfie with Ellen at the Oscars gives him not her the copyright.

18. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    The whole site is down now. So, despite his insistence with you, he clearly knows he's up to no good.

19. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    What is the link to the facebook page?

20. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    This subject appears on photography sites from time to time and always seems to generate some controversy. Some claim if you change an image by 20% it is now yours, which seems to be the most common understanding by those who are infringing a copyright and is completely wrong. The only one allowed to produce derivative is the copyright holder, so the person doing the copying in this thread is clearly in the wrong. The digital age has fostered the belief that if it is posted online, it is in the public domain, again, wrong!

21. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  22. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009