Robb's F355 Challenge Car History and Restoration | FerrariChat

Robb's F355 Challenge Car History and Restoration

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by Robb, Feb 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #1 Robb, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This will be the home and jump-off point to cover the History and Restoration of our new F355 Challenge Car - 111869

The car was built and delivered to the Foreign Cars Italia team from North Carolina in the USA for the North American Ferrari Challenge in February 1998. It also ran the 1999 season.

The car was delivered as a factory challenge car in Blu Pozzi with a Nero Interior.

The initial owner and team driver was Tim Robertson from Virginia Beach, VA. He is a successful businessman and current chairman of an investment holding company and is a leader in the cable industry establishing The Family Channel among others. His father is the renowned Southern Baptist minister and American media mogul Pat Robertson.

The car ran #91 during the challenge series.

It joined 3 other team cars, one in white, barchetta red, and one in rosso corsa.

Today the car is currently painted Nero with Nero Interior. It has a silver painted stripe under a wide yellow vinyl stripe that will likely be removed as our restoration progresses through different phases.

Check back regularly for updates and interesting stories on the FCI team and their drivers.

My brother and I are looking forward to a positive, long-term ownership / stewardship. :)

Robb
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Beautiful shot. What are you planning to restore?

3. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    Well done Robb, Looking forward to your Report, well bought the car!
    Congrets.

Good History, fine project for you ��

4. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #4 Robb, Feb 21, 2015
    Hi Ken,

The car is not currently in its original color or livery from the '98 and '99 seasons. We'd like to correct the livery with sponsors first on its current color...

Then in the future do a full repaint back to Blu Pozzi.

There are some other minor items to refinish and clean up. The interior plastics are THE stickiest set I have seen on ANY F355 and that just won't do... Even on a race car.

We also need to get a couple of items corrected like the colors / types of seat(s), netting, wheel, rims, car to pit radio... You get the idea. The mechanicals and coach are good to go.

It's going to happen long-term and we will enjoy the transformation. I am working on obtaining history, interviews, period photos, and video of the car back then, along with all racing documents. I already have full service records.

Robb

5. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Thanks much Heinz.

We will be great caretakers of the car and history and we will drive it with the intended passion from Maranello.

Robb

6. Marius

Marius Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Germany/Belgium
    Full Name:
    Marius
    Congratulations Robb, looking very forward to see progress with your project. I´m just about to start a very similar one so I can understand your enthusiasm. My 98 factory challenge car has just arrived at the port in Bremen/Germany and I will pick it up next week tuesday. My first F-car and a long time wish after several other race/road-cars (which I intend to keep). Have not seen it yet, tueday will be the first time. Feels like a first date with the age of 16...

It´s the Ex-Rob Cohen/Milka Duno car which I plan to "restore" to delivery status in 1998 which should not be too much of a hazzle as Rob cared very well for it during the last few years. The more complicated task will be writing down it´s history since 1998 with all drivers, races, owners, etc.

Never boring here at FC... :)

Now back to 111869, sorry for hijacking. I´m too excited...

7. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I see i see. Not a bad hobby to take up :).

8. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #8 Robb, Feb 21, 2015
    Here is one of our car's teammates for Foreign Cars Italia during the '98 season.

# 40 owned and driven by Marvin Jones in Rosso Barchetta.

Our car will have very similar sponsor logo placement as shown on Marvin's car.

Robb

9. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #9 Robb, Feb 21, 2015
    Another one of our car's teammates for Foreign Cars Italia during the '98 season.

# 43 owned and driven by Leo Hindery in Rosso Corsa.

All of the FCI team cars had sponsors from Cable TV and telecommunications.

Robb

10. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #10 Robb, Feb 21, 2015
    The third and final of our car's teammates for Foreign Cars Italia during the '98 season.

# 32 owned and driven by Matt Drendel in Bianco Avus.

The Discovery Channel was a primary sponsor.

Robb

11. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #11 Robb, Feb 21, 2015
    I'm still working on getting historic pictures of our car.

But in the meantime:

In 1999 Our car and Tim Robertson moved over to the Ferrari of Atlanta team with one teammate. He partnered up with Roger Warner - the founder of Speed Vision with the # 98 car in Rosso Corsa.

See the attached photo of Roger's car.

Robb

12. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    That is great Marius!

You got a solid car, looks like it will be perfect mechanically for some time. I look forward to seeing what you do with its livery.

I do like the old fashioned liveries and sponsor logos on these cars. It just oozes history. Nothing wrong with a modern wrap but I just am into authentic OEM where possible...

Start a new thread on your car and what changes you go through in its new adventures. Best.

Robb

13. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    Fantastic Robb, really.

For me this is a good exemple, car was official on the Market we all could buy it, BUT Robb did it. Now all sai wow, great car, great History what Robb gives back to the car, also Stickers and the original condition, well bought, well done!

Let us be Part of your stets.

14. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
  15. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #15 Robb, Feb 24, 2015
    From Barry's link - and the article scanned by Erik, here is the car in an early race in 1998 before all the sponsors and logos were added. It's the Blu Pozzi car behind its teammate in this photo.

The team was nicknamed the "Cable Trackers" (logo shown on the hood of the red car) and was run by Frank Drendel the CEO of Commscope. His son Matt Drendel was one of my driver's teammates.

Robb

16. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    Hello Robb, you know I owne the Matt Drendel 355 What ran the '98, '99 Saison (2. OA),would be fantastic to have some pictures, thanks for helping.

17. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #17 Robb, Feb 24, 2015
    I'm still looking forward to some updated photos from the 1998 season.

But until then...

Here are some photos of the car changed up for the later 1999 season. The car ran with a different driver for Ferrari of Atlanta for some races in the 2000 and 2001 season and changed numbers to # 16. Tim Robertson had switched over to running a 360 during those years but also participated with this car in the endurance long time events and took 2nd overall with this car.

Then the car was sold to its next owner - an SCCA racer. This photo accurately depicts what the car looked like in 2001 - big red/orange stripes and wheels. The sponsor logos were in flux as well.

I think I prefer the original car in 1998 without this red... But all good and part of its history.

Robb

18. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Heinz,

Matt Drendel's car was #32 and was white. I am sure that I will get many photos of the car along with the teammates. I will email you the full size big images when I get them in case you would like to restore to those years. But the current Motorola livery is mighty nice! :)

Robb

19. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #19 Robb, Feb 24, 2015
    Here is our car at Honestead racing for endurance (in 2001 I believe) sponsored by Family Click - an Internet choice for safe viewing for kids...

Robb

20. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #20 Robb, Feb 24, 2015
  21. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #21 Robb, Feb 24, 2015
  22. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #22 Robb, Feb 24, 2015
  23. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #23 Robb, Feb 24, 2015
  24. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #24 Robb, Feb 24, 2015
  25. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    Ribb, Thank you, very much. I don't want to changed the Motorola Design, it's Part of the history from 2000.

I want to keep the Period pictures for the documents. Again, thanks for helping.