Get in here for a second, prove me wrong........ | FerrariChat

Get in here for a second, prove me wrong........

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by jonesn, Mar 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    I really do want your honest opinion about this, so no flaming each other in my thread :)

Ok, I have this theory about progressively improving socio-economic conditions in the developing world. To make a long story short and sweet: an individual or group creates a network of small companies out in needy areas that allocate any/all profits back to the community.

Rather than giving hand-outs, the organization creates opportunity that focuses on the long run. That help comes in the form of:

- jobs
    - (slightly) higher wages at the companies
    - starting only companies based on products/services of necessity, so no luxury
    - (slightly) discounted prices
    - funding of civil projects in the community (med. clinics, schools, disaster relief reserve, etc)

The main companies I think would work:
    - Transportation
    - Medical
    - Construction
    - Agriculture
    - Utilities
    - Shelter / RE
    - (some) Media

I could keep going on and on and make this thread into a book, but I think that should do.

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I'm not sure where you are going with this. But if you are saying that private enterprises can run circles around governmental/non-profit entities, no argument here. What I don't see in your plan, though, is who is going to invest in a business that gives all its profits away? May sound cold, but it is life.

DrTax

3. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    No investors needed, it's all my money. Agreed, I'd never expect anyone (including family) to invest in it.

4. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You're a good man, Jones.

5. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    Aww damn, you made me blush

6. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    Sounds great to me! And I'll tell you what, if you do it here in the United States as well in developing countries, I'd be even more with you and would indeed put some of my own money (which isn't much by standards of this forum but hey...) behind it or work it to some extent. We should all feel that way.

7. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    And, you could call it "Jonestown." KoolAid, anybody? (Sorry, Jones, i couldn't resist. Sounds like capitalism run by Democrats, but missing that vital component of the "guilt shakedown" ala Jesse Jackson. No wonder they drank the Koolaid).

8. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    Right, if it were operating in the US it would have great utility of the funds available. However, none of those profits could leave the US because it would be a leakage. If anything the organization would hire many US citizens to work (as managers, maybe former Peace Corp workers?) in developing countries so that the salaries return to the US economy while experienced personel help the foreign companies. Win-win.

9. dherman76

dherman76 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 25, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Darren Herman
    The goal of any 'business' is to make profits and increase its shareholders wealth. If you do this and give the profits back to the community - awesome. Its easier said than done though...

10. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    lol :)

Maybe call it Jonesian economics?

I'm actually a devout moderate, and I doubt democrats have the reasonability to run such a program (except for FDR, he rocked).

11. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    If I'm the only shareholder, the community can be the only beneficiary :)

BTW, what consulting work do you do being (almost) 22? You must have a nice gig going for you.

12. dherman76

dherman76 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 25, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Darren Herman
    Will PM you.

13. Jason W

Jason W Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jason
    John Galt won't like this.

14. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    If it is in the US, customers will still run to Wal-Mart and your employees will sue you for frivolous reasons and pull down Workers Comp claims and run you our of business.

15. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    So true. I don't think it has much potential in the US anyhow.

16. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    Some hardcore capitalist?

17. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    ROTFLMAO!!!!! Now THAT was a lawyer(s) joke!!!!

DL

18. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I used to fantasize about starting some utility factories (water purification, maybe gas) and a system of schools on the Western coast of Africa (ie. Ghana) and try and start whole new western-modeled communities based on education (agriculture, manufacturing/engineering, acc't/mgmt). My friends used to tease me about "Alexander's African City" thinking I was a megalomaniac. I wish I could make something happen.

I've thought about water desalinization a lot thinking that would be a major hurdle - getting fresh water to agriculture and residential areas, but from what I understand it's really, really pricey.

I support your idea, and hope you can effect something in your lifetime. You should take some courses in Development Economics. It's a hot field right now.

19. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Hey Jones: Not to insult you, but are you youngish? The reference to John Galt is from the Ayn Rand novel that became a religion, "Atlas Shrugged," in which the real "doers" in a society withdraw because it has become bogged down with corrupt leeches and unproductive glad-handers. Her theme was a pure form of self-interest that tolerated no "welfare" of any sort. Really big when i was coming of age and interestingly, never made into a movie as far as i know.
    I was also curious to know if you picked up on my reference to Jonetown as the cult which committed mass suicide, what, say 2 decades ago, run by a man named Jim Jones. Ergo the "Koolaid" thing (they all drank poisoned Koolaid. It was bad.) It may be a generational difference, but i'm curious, that's all.

20. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Ha, good one Bill. We all know what you are really curious about...

21. Jason W

Jason W Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jason
    And I hope it never is. :)

22. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    To have a firm hold on all of those interests would run you into federal problems... Restraint of trade?... problems I would think. And these type of companies are called non-profit.

DrS

23. mbmike

mbmike Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Some companies are trying to do stuff like this, on a smaller scale. I just read about some big company (I think it was Coke...) that was setting up centers to finance local entrepreneurs in developing South East Asia, basically a mircoloans program.

There has been a lot of progress in building the economies of the developing world lately. The problem is that everyone seems to think that we should be able to take a nation from dirt poor to middle income in like a decade. 5% growth is easy to miss when your per capita GDP is only $500. It takes decades to make substantial improvements in quality of life.

Globalization is HELPING developing nations. Liberals like to say that we're exploiting the developing world, but in fact we're bringing more jobs and opportunities than ever before. A prime example: The African island nation of Mauritius adopted a very strong pro-Globalization policy which attracted major foreign investment, turning it from one of Africa's poorest countries to one of its richest. Globalization is a GOOD thing.

24. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    I think it must be generational. I read a lot on economics and know nothing of it -- yet I'm not economist or anything.

25. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Hmm, sounds like you could give this a go over in Haiti real soon. According to reports, we ran Aristide's ass out of their and I'm sure we're looking for ideas on what to do with another mess........