Borrani | FerrariChat

Borrani

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Longstone Tyres, Jan 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hi Team

We are working on our new Borrani site. It is designed to help with what wheel fits what car. I hope we have got it right please let me know if you find any mistakes. https://www.borrani.com/en/

It is also designed to offer advice on what is the correct tyre for you car and the same thing applies let me know if you spot any mistakes.

Dougal

2. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Correct Borrani wheel for Ferrari 275 2cam is RW 3874, not RW 4039 which is correct for 4cam and 330/365 GTC/S.

3. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    RW4039 is yes correct for long nose 2-cam, not sure where the transition is, but certainly correct for later cars.

4. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    250 Europa (long chassis, big block) used outside laced wheels. 250GT "Europa" used inside laced. I believe that both types were 16".

5. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    You are right Ed, but the Lampredi car had 15 inch wheels.

john

6. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    We will update accordingly

any more thoughts on https://www.borrani.com/en/ are you happy with the tyre recomendations. They do need updating a bit, because there have been more tyres made since i did that list.

7. SteviePPS

SteviePPS Karting

May 11, 2013
    EU
    Full Name:
    Steve Warson
  8. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    #8 Longstone Tyres, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That is great please keep them coming.

There has been a bit of a change to the Borrani price list so we are working on up dtaes as we speak but it would be nice to iron out any glitches while we are at it.

Also what do we think of 308 cars on Borrani?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Unless your name is Elvis, no.

10. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Not really, infact from 275s onwards I really prefer the alloys, heralding the modern world.

Something very 80's Miami about that 308, maybe owned by somebody in the "import/export" business?

11. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Horrible............

12. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack

Not even close, yuck ! And I like Borranis.....alot.....

Jack

13. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    UGLY

And there is a chrome strip placed all along the waist were there should be a black indentation.

DOUBLE UGLY

14. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    WHY?????

15. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    For the love of all that is Holy, NO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. sinkman

sinkman Karting

Oct 28, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Phil
    +1

Take them off please.

17. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    ...makes it look like a Kit-Car...

18. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    It looks interesting to me. I wouldn't look twice at one of these normally.

You may have noticed Dougal that there's a pronounced similarity between FChat posters on any topic about non 'as they left factory' cars and a flock of sheep. When you walk into the field one sheep goes 'baaa' and then the rest of the them pick up the refrain.

19. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

baaaa . . . baaaa . . .

I dunno, a 308 with wire wheels is like having 360 wheels on a 250 GTO. Maybe they physically will fit, but damn, they do not look right.

We are not a flock of sheep. There are many here who mount non-factory wheels, stick on non factory shields, etc.

Putting a 60's style wheel on a late 70's car just doesn't feel right.

I'm not sure it rises to the level of unholy, but it sure is unorthodox.

D

20. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Baaa + 1000!

For the record, there is a 365 GTC/4 thread in the vintage market section where we mostly baaa-ed for a body mod (dissenters were of course banned).

308's are beautiful. Borranis are beautiful. But they don't go together. I like ketchup and I like ice cream, but I probably wouldn't have them together.

21. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Somebody needs to say something about the safety issues in using wire wheels on a car (308) with that level of grip and modern tires. We have custom built heavy duty spokes for our wheels on the 250's and still break spokes with distressing regularity using Dunlop Vintage race tires. Ferrari stopped using wire wheels for a reason.

22. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    #22 Longstone Tyres, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Check out these bad boys.

I put a set of these wheels on a mini for one of my staff members just to find out what people thought, because Borrani were making spoked wheels for modern cars. the really clever thing they did was re design how the spokes and the wheel centre works so you can have a tubeless wire wheel spokes made with stainless steel.

Stainless steel spokes are currently used, but all the broken ones i see have spokes that brake on the bend where they go into the wheel centre.

Also the current trend for mastic over spoke heads just seems like a bodge to me. which is why all the failed tubeless wheels we come accross have air breathing out around the spokes.

Point of fact any car that fitted spoked wheels up till the mid 1970's all had 70% or 80% tyres and therefore all fit inner tubes weather it says tubeless tyre or not. (all 70% and 80% tyres can fit inner tubes. All wire wheel cars should fit inner tubes. I have issues with Morgan)

Borrani's tubeless system has a tapered spoke head that locates into the taper hole in the rim, with neoprene seal around it. the spoke is then screwed into the wheel centre. This is a proper engineering solution to the tubeless rim, as the spoke seals in the rim, and it means they can use stainless spokes because they aren't bent.

However i think they do look a little garish. I think i have some Ferrari pictures that are similar somewhere. i'll see what i can find.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Odd, you're the one taking personal offense. To the rest of us its just a matter of taste.
    The wheels look wrong to me but if it makes the owner happy its all for the good.

24. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    Hey David, I'm not taking offense. Everyone is welcome to their opinions and taste. I was just having a bit fun, though I really think there is a pronounced flock mentality evident in many (note I'm not saying all) posts on non factory modifications. Unless of course they were carried out by individuals or companies who have been elevated in the consensus (or market) to 'acceptable' or even 'desirable'.
    Hell, I think most people in this world are sheep. Of course, I have too keep a sharp eye on myself too.
    Warm regards
    Will

25. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    As far as human traits go I prefer clan, or maybe herd, mentality to flock. But that may be down to semantics. In any case it's rarely, if ever, productive to bring such charactarizations into these discussions.

There are valid cases to be made for both utility and authenticity. In the end the market (another term for flock?) will decide.