Maserati Sebring 2a serie | FerrariChat

Maserati Sebring 2a serie

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by mamamia, Feb 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mamamia

mamamia Karting

Dec 14, 2010
    England
    Full Name:
    Henry Jameson
    Hi,

Sebring 2a serie.

I have noticed that some series two Sebrings had a “ Maserati Sebring ” script on the boot/trunk lid and others “ Maserati 3500 G.T..I. ”.

Does anyone know why ?

We know all series two cars (AM 101/10) had the 3.5-litre engine and of the 94 examples produced 93 were fuel injected and only one of those left the factory fitted with Weber carburettors.

2. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I am not familiar with the term "2a" when referring to a Sebring. Was there also a 2b?

Ivan

3. andymont

andymont Formula Junior

May 16, 2007
    Torino - ITALY
    Full Name:
    Andrea M.
    "2a" means second , it is a shortened way to write "seconda" in italian.

Ciao

Andrea

4. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Thanks Andrea ... I learn something everyday :)

Okay ... now I am confused since the original post implies that all Sebring series 2 have a 3.5 liter engine. Well that is not true since there are plenty of 3.7 liter cars and even some 4.0 liter series 2 Sebrings.

Ivan

5. carnutz

carnutz Karting

Aug 11, 2008
    Ivan, I think he meant to say that all Sebring Series II cars with the designation of AM101.10 had a 3.5L engine, AM101.S10 would be the 3.7L cars and AM101.A10 would be the 4.0L cars.

What I don't understand is where he got that there were 94 3.5L's and that 93 came with injection. I had correspondence with Ermanno Cozza many years ago and he gave me the build number of the Sebring per year, but couldn't tell the number with each engine.
    Maybe Fabio has recently gone through the build sheets and tabulated the engines.

Larry Ruben

6. mamamia

mamamia Karting

Dec 14, 2010
    England
    Full Name:
    Henry Jameson
    Hi,

Perhaps I should have explained myself more clearly:

Sebring 2a serie (2nd series)

Sebring 3500 : AM101/ 10*…..

3500 carburettor --> 1 examples

3500 fuel injection --> 93 examples

Sebring 3700 : AM101/ S10*…..

3700 carburettor --> 1 examples

3700 fuel injection --> 133 examples

Sebring 4000 : AM101/ A10*…..

4000 fuel injection --> 19 examples

Back to my original query.

Does anyone know if there is any significance in the different script on the rear trunk lid, or is it just a case of using up what was available at the time ?

7. carnutz

carnutz Karting

Aug 11, 2008
    Hi, I was curious about your source of this data. Your numbers total 247 Series II cars and I have a letter from Cozza saying that there were 260 Series II cars, but he couldn't tell me how many cars of each engine displacement.
    As far as the rear badging goes, I have seen many Sebring II's wjth 2 scripts on the upper trunk lip. One with the word 'Maserati' and the other with the word 'Sebring'. More often I've seen one script reading 'Maserati 3500GTI', even on 3.7 liter cars. The 4.0L cars usually had 'Sebring' on the upper lip and '4000' lower on the trunk.
    I think the badging reflects what they had on hand at the time of the build. If they were missing a particular script the car moved along without it. At the peak they were building about 2 Sebring II's a week.

8. mamamia

mamamia Karting

Dec 14, 2010
    England
    Full Name:
    Henry Jameson
    My source of information is of course Sig. Fabio Collina at Maserati Classiche.

9. jonack

jonack Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2007
    Berkeley, California
    Full Name:
    J. Clark
    #9 jonack, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is an image of the back end of my Sebring SII '64 SN 0167 the 83rd car built. Clearly marked Maserati 3500 GTI, also showing is the Iniezione emblem. Since this picture was taken the car has entered the restoration shop, stripping of the truck lid shows no further holes indicating any further emblems. So this 3500 engined car was not externally titled Sebring. For what it's worth.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. mamamia

mamamia Karting

Dec 14, 2010
    England
    Full Name:
    Henry Jameson
    #10 mamamia, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi,

Thank you for that.

Here is AM 101/10*123*, this time with "Maserati Sebring".
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. jonack

jonack Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2007
    Berkeley, California
    Full Name:
    J. Clark
    Interesting! I think it proves these cars are hand assembled with an artistic application. It might have to do with the foreman on duty that day? It's possible the day they did my car they didn't have the Sebring script. What needs to happen now is more Sebring owners need to step up to the plate and help. Maybe there is a pattern.
    A few years ago there was a german fellow, Olaf Boecking who ran the Sebring registry with a fair amount of info, it seems his life fell apart and the collected info might be missing.

John

12. biz5300

biz5300 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    n h
    FROM Collina quote"Per tua informazione in totale sono state prodotte 19 Sebring seconda serie con motore 4.000cc su un totale di 248 Sebring seconda serie prodotte."

13. Jhoniks

Jhoniks Karting

Aug 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    jonathan
    hi

someone had the opportunity to download the following file ?. Formular_telaioliste.pdf of boecking- site?.

14. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    I like the Sebring.

15. Jhoniks

Jhoniks Karting

Aug 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    jonathan