American "muscle"? | FerrariChat

American "muscle"?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by k wright, Feb 7, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    Flat plane cranks, direct fuel injection, alloy extruded frames, carbon fiber brakes and body work, magnetorheologic dampers and clutches, traction and stability control that it's second to none....

Does the title American muscle still fit or should this be the title of a subfolder?

With respects to Rob.

2. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    Everyone knows an America car can only go in strait lines!

3. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Phil heard someone say this in 1967 and has been repeating it ever since.

4. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    My mechanic, who races cars, says that my FORD GT handles better than my F 430.

Joe

5. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    Labels are tools, not definitions.

6. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Joe I owned a 2005 ford GT, a 360, 430 and now a 458. The 430 handles better than the FGT. The FGT had more hp and drives well just not as good as the Ferrari.

Best

Lee

7. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    The 430 was an easier car to drive near its limits because of stability control, which was lacking in the FGT.

In the hands of experts, the FGT can leave a regular 430 for dead on any road course given equal tires, and that's before you add an extra 100+ hp with a mere pulley/tune.

8. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    I was talking to a Professional Driver and he told me that the GT scared him.

Joe

9. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    Well, I've been around many tracks both driving my GT and riding shotgun with pros, and as long as you know what you are doing, I would have to disagree.

10. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    The only reason he was scared of the FGT was he was competing against it :)

The Ford GT was a wonderful car. I miss my 2005. But I also love the Ferrari's as well.

I miss a manual transmission :( The 458 feels like a softer driving car than my previous 360 and F430 were.

The new Corvettes are awesome drivers cars, better than the 458. I think if Enzo was alive he would not let it happen.

Best

Lee

11. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    Lee, that's a surprising comment as the 458 is an awesome car. I'm not doubting you, just amazing that a relatively inexpensive vehicle can truly be discussed in the same breath as a 458 in terms of a true driver's car. It's a helluva endorsement for the new Corvette.

I'm bi-polar when it comes to the Vette. For example, on one hand, I'm turned off by "unsophisticated" cam-in-block pushrod engine (much like I am with solid axles in pre-2015 Shelby and Boss Mustangs). On the other hand, the former engineer in me really appreciates how GM can extract so much power from such a simple, lightweight, compact, low maintenance, damn near bullet proof engine design - while meeting modern emissions requirements.

I do wish they could've tried harder to keep the weight down though. Then again, I'd say the same for any new car.

12. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #12 leead1, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
    The 458 is not the drivers car that my 360 or 430 were. It is a beautiful car but a change in direction for Ferrari to a much softer car. It has been a good reliable car and the dealer is very good.

My 458 is a 2010. Unless they go back to a drivers car I will not buy another. I continue to like Lamborghini my recent purchase is the Adventador.

I have never been a fan of American cars but the new Corvette has changed my opinion,
    I was so impressed I went back an bought a 2015 Z/28. It is an amazing drivers car. The best car I have ever driven. I do agree with you on the low teck push rods. Most of the push rod engines do not rev freely, the Vette solved this some how.

My 2013 Shelby Mustang has the live or solid axle. If you hit a bump in a corner the rear end shudders. Independent suspension does not do it. The 2015 Mustang does have the newer suspension. I am torn whether to upgrade or not. I did drive a new Mustang it looks better and drives well. The problem is they will not give 665 hp that my 2013 Shelby has for many years if at all. Most of the roads in Florida are straight :)

I think American cars finally got the wake up call. As a data point I had owned a new 2009 Viper. I hated the car. I just bought a 2013 Viper and it is a completely different car and I love it. So things change. I will test drive the 488 when it comes out it may be improved. We will see.

I still like German cars, MY Audi R8 V10 and the BMW M3 I just bought are examples.

Drive the new Vette you may be surprised.

Best

Lee