Drove another 355 today, same spec as mine and..... | FerrariChat

Drove another 355 today, same spec as mine and.....

Discussion in '348/355' started by Lfpontes, Mar 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lfpontes

Lfpontes Karting

Nov 1, 2010
    São Paulo
    Full Name:
    Luiz.
    And it felt significantly faster than my car, more responsive, torquey, and overall faster.
    Also, steering wheel felt heavier and more precise, even in non sport mode.

Any guess why my car feels slower? Mine shows around 17k km, and this one has around 40 or 50. Both are gated, mine a 99 and this one a 97.
    Any particular service, or engine tuning might "fix" this?

My car feels like a VTEC car, being quite slow on early RPM,s and waking up after 4/4.5k rpm.

This 97 car that I drove felt a lot stronger and more keen to move down the bottom of the RPM band.

Also, my car does not seem to change in "behavior" when in sport mode. Even though the light pops on. Any ideas on that?

Appeciate any inputs.

2. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    What exhaust do you have...and what exhaust was on the car you drove?

3. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Cam timing during the belt service makes quite the difference

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Cam timing is off.

5. vracer

vracer Formula 3

Jun 23, 2014
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Richard
    There are NO changes (that I know of) with "Sport mode". It only stiffens the shocks a little bit. Listen to the others here about power differences.

6. GTSNJ

GTSNJ Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2015
    Sometimes odometers are not indicative of mechanical conditions. I would say to check cam timing, general tune up items such as spark plugs airfilter fuel filter. Also dirty maf. 02 sensors (check for obd codes.) Etc.

The suspension sounds like it could have a different ecu or your shocks are weak. It should tighten up in sport. Does ur suspension light work . (separate from sport light )

7. GTSNJ

GTSNJ Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2015
    My 99 f1 was night and day regular from sport. 95, not so much but it is stiffer by default and softer when button cycled.

8. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Honolulu - Seattle - Okinawa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Cam timing and general tune up are most likely the differences. The F355 has ITB's as well and synchronizing them at a major service is important. I don't know your service records but many low mile cars have gone a long duration between important services compared to cars regularly driven and with more miles.

9. Garvin

Garvin Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    Cambridgeshire
    Perhaps you should get a compression test or leak down test performed on yours. If that comes up OK then get a full engine out service and, as stated previously, the cam timing set up properly at the same time.

10. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Is your bypass valve functioning? Also check to see if you are getting wide open throttle. (When I received my previous 355 it was only getting 3/4 throttle due to cable adjustment)

11. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Can't repeat cam timing enough, the procedure is complicated and often I'm told you can end up with each bank slightly different than each other and it's critical to get them to synchronized.

-Michael

12. GTSNJ

GTSNJ Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2015
    Some engines dyno more power than others regardless of what the factory numbers are. In Aston martin v12 it is not uncommon to see large variation in performance by two otherwise well running cars.

13. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    If you really think there is a problem, take the car somewhere and have it properly diagnosed. Otherwise, dive it and enjoy it and don't worry about what the seat of your pants tells you.

14. brettb

brettb Karting

Jan 13, 2011
    My car was underperforming and I found the throttle linkage had shifted and it was only giving 75% travel..

15. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    Bad gas?

16. jochem00

jochem00 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2014
    Netherlands
    fouled injectors with plenty gunk inside due to low mileage.

17. 0.0.1.99

0.0.1.99 Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2012
    Carolinas
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Maybe clean out the combustion chambers with a double-dose of BG44k or Techron?

Newer tires will make a ~big~ difference in overall handling. To a lesser degree, also refreshed bushings.

+1 on checking the throttle travel. That is a 30 second job with the Mrs. in the passenger seat. Just reach under the coolant tank when the pedal is on the floor and try to rotate the bell crank further counter-clockwise. If it moves at all, it needs adjustment (they also commonly stick on WOT but that is another thread).

For a change in behavior, the difference may be faulty (re: 15 year-old) dampers which need oil and nitrogen replacement and shaft refurbishment (see Bilstein or Delta-Vee rebuild services).

Good luck.
    Ken

18. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Have you had your engines compression tested recently?

From what I've seen with the inspections I've done on some low mile cars, it really doesn't matter if the cars been beat and not operated properly. 115psi across the board with 35% leak down on a 16k mile car...try and figure that one out.

19. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Can you say valve guides. Not much to figure out. My car with 15,000 miles needed the guides done, but I budgeted that into my purchase price and once done I know its done.

20. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Might want to adjust your Vtec controller.

21. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    The car I mentioned had the valve guides done at 11k miles...5k miles later same problem. Previous owner used bronze guides. Probably why it was for sale...owner didn't want to fork out another 20k.

22. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    In order of likelihood::

Compression
    Injectors
    Ignition
    Cam Timing

23. StanT

StanT Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2007
    Vienna, VA
    Could be clutch pressure, wear. My 98 355F1 GTS was feeling sluggish, even at highway speeds. Clutch adjustment by Competizione made a world of difference.

24. st4rk

st4rk Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 7, 2011
    That, or change the VTEC fluids.

25. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    How often do I need to change the VTEC belt?