Relocating to Phoenix | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Relocating to Phoenix

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by scowman, Mar 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    I've been in PV for 8 years and would not move anywhere else (except maybe Arcadia which has a charm all to it's own.)

2. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    So Arcadia is just on the South side of Camelback? What are the +/- of that? I have little kids too who are just about ready to start school so that is a big consideration. I would prefer to send them to public school.

3. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    If you get an area in Arcadia that has citrus trees, expect Roof Rats & Pack Rats. They can climb exterior walls and live in attic areas too. Make sure that area is inspected for them.

And for what it's worth, I live in P.V. and we have huge coyote problem. The whole corridor along the Camelback golf course does. So if you have dogs or cats that like being outside, you might have problems if you too choose to live near a golf course.

4. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming

Yup, I lived there and had the critters...had to trap them and then seal it all up.

5. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    I came from San Diego originally so I know about the coyotes. No cats or small dogs outside.

In TX the coyotes are not so much of a problem as the whole state is armed to the teeth and knows how to shoot and skin varmints.

6. AZ-Giallo

AZ-Giallo Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    David
    AZ is pretty well armed as well...concealed carry permit is not even required.

7. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming

Shhhhhhuushhhh :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Then I don't understand the coyote problem:)

9. 356racing

356racing Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2004
    Paradise Valley, AZ
    FWIW I live in PV and my kids went to Arcadia schools through open enrollment so if you're willing to shuttle them around a bit the district isn't essential. We love PV but if I did it again I would look strongly at Arcadia because there are many young families there so more opportunities for the kids to play with neighbors. PV is just a lot more spread out. Also, I have AC in my garage but only run it when I plan on being out there for some reason. Finally, there's a house 2 doors down from me going through foreclosure. 5 Car garage :)

10. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Most people do not have A/C in their garage. I do not. It would cost too much. Simply opening a garage door would spill so much hot air in that the cost to cool it back down is just too high. But that is my choice.

For my garage, when I am working in there in the summer, I have an evaporation cooler that works very nicely until late June ... then the humidity rises too high and then that type of cooler become to inefficient. But, it makes it tolerable in the summer.

Others certainly hit the nail on the hammer though about getting out town in the summer. It is bloody hot here in July and August and into September.

I agree entirely about the lack of nice roads to drive. Sure, the roads are smooth, but it takes 30 to 60 minutes driving to get anywhere decent with curvy roads.

One thing no one mentioned yet. The grit on roads here sucks. Long periods of no rain and the roads accumulate lots of small grits on them. Small rocks, sand, and what not. The front end of cars here take a beating. You need a clear bra ... for sure.

Steve.

11. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Oh right. That too. Plus the dust storms and general amount of dirt and crud that coats everything when the wind blows. And then there are scorpions, javelina, and snakes. Lots and lots of snakes...even in paradise valley. Given the choice, I would not live here.

12. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Don't tell my wife...

13. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    LOL..Yes well over the years you get to learn about snakes. Just in my backyard I have had King snakes, Bull snakes, Whip snakes, and of course the good 'ol scare me *hitless Diamond Back Rattlesnakes. Somewhere I've got a screen shot from my CCTV of a pack of 5 coyotes running around my backyard ripping apart a rabbit. All this around Doubletree and Scottsdale Rd.

14. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Hey, it's a desert here. In my house in Carefree I averaged 2-3 Rattle snakes year, mostly Spring. You just keep your eyes and ears vigilant.

15. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    You must be by Mummy mountain. I've never seen a rattle snake in P.V., but caught a few King snakes which have been humanely relocated into the wash. As for the Coyote packs that lurk around, they've made snacks of a few of our neighbor's dogs left out over night.

16. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    By Camelback Golf Course.

17. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    We're moving to Phoenix:)

18. 356racing

356racing Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2004
    Paradise Valley, AZ
    Congratulations!

19. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Congrats! Even with the snakes, coyotes, scorpions, weather, you still want to move here! :D

I've lived in Houston too, moved from Michigan previously and got hit with a blast of that humidity when I opened the door, so much that it fogged up my glasses, do not miss that! Austin was much better. :)

20. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    And maybe my gauge lenses won't fog over anymore?

21. Under PSI

Under PSI F1 Rookie

May 13, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I've been here since '95 and have never seen a rattlesnake.

22. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Rattlesnake, yes, Roadrunner, No. :)

23. AZ-Giallo

AZ-Giallo Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    David
    You mentioned kids and schools...as far as I know, this is the only place in Scottsdale where the elementary school, middle school, and high school are all together. You can live in one place and have easy access to all three.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@33.5911009,-111.8106856,17z

24. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Are the snakes seasonal? I lived some winters on E Jackrabbit Rd, near Doubletree. Great area, but seemly few snakes on the property. Lots of rabbits.

25. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Yes. Most of the stuff is seasonal except the Coyotes. Basically I consider Phoenix uninhabitable from May to September.