Future of the A-10 Warthog | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Future of the A-10 Warthog

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Tcar, Feb 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Uncomfortable in the sinus area from the muzzle brake blast. Also kicks up crap everywhere if you are on a dirt or similar surface.

2. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Well, that depends upon whose tank you are in;)

3. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Subject: A-10 driver perspective

Date: March 6, 2015 at 4:16:21 PM EST

FYSA

The squadron is doing fine. Everybody is happy to be here and we are doing some good work. The A-10s are holding up well and the technology we have have on the jets now (targeting pods, GPS guided bombs, Laser Guided bombs, Laser guided missiles, tactical data link, satellite comms), and of course the gun, make the A-10 ideal for this conflict. We are killing off as many ISIS as we can, mostly in ones and twos, working with the hand we are dealt. I've never been more convicted in my career that we facing an enemy that needs to be eradicated.

With that being said...I've never been more frustrated in my career. After 13 years of the mind-numbing low intensity conflict in Afghanistan, I've never seen the knife more dull. All the hard lessons learned in Vietnam, and fixed during the first Gulf War, have been unlearned again. The level of centralized execution, bureaucracy, and politics is staggering. I basically do not have any decision making authority in my cockpit. It sucks. In most cases, unless a general officer can look at a video picture from a UAV, over a satellite link, I cannot get authority to engage. I've spent many hours, staring through a targeting pod screen in my own cockpit, watching ISIS perpetrate their acts until my eyes bleed, without being able to do anything about it. The institutional fear of making a mistake, that has crept into the central mindset of the military leadership, is endemic. We have not taken the fight to these guys. We haven't targeted their centers of gravity in Raqqa. All the roads between Syria and Iraq are still intact with trucks flowing freely. The other night I watched a couple hundred small tanker trucks lined up at an oilfield in ISIS-held northeast Syria, presumably filling up with with oil traded on the black market, go unfettered. It's not uncommon to wait several hours overhead a suspected target for someone to make a decision to engage or not. It feels like we are simply using the constructs build up in Afghanistan, which was a very limited fight, in the same way here against ISIS, which is a much more sophisticated and numerically greater foe. It's embarrassing.

Be assured that the Hawg drivers are doing their best.

4. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Local air show had a A-10 demo. It was a few years ago. Very impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzd_dBpBSQo

I usually go every year to the show. But last two years, no American involvement, so I've skipped it. Its boring without American combat aircraft.

The show has a VIP option, private tent, BBQ lunch, unlimited drinks, including beer and wine, parking, etc. Its $140 per person. Well worth it.

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thanks and hats off to you. Your being operationally hamstrung is sickening. When are the powers that be realize the urgency of facing this threat! WW2 wasn't won by getting permission to do anything when facing an enemy.

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Completely different from Desert Storm, where we were given a target set and decided how to kill it with nobody looking over our shoulders. Pretty sad.

Who knows better how to kill bad guys, some staff wienie or, even worse, senior or flag officer, or the guys planning and flying the missions?

7. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Look! We're Involved! Air Force Constellation Visits Minot : John Q. Public

8. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    My old FF/SOT, Robert Madison, was Fairchild Republic's chief test pilot for the A10. I wonder if I could put a GAU-8 on a Form 4? :D

9. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Terry,

In your opinion is this unconscionable problem a function of the Administration/higher command or the JAG Attorneys, or both equally?

Thanks,

Scott

10. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    the 50 cal puts on a great show when it sends out tracers from a burned out barrel and a call goes out for clean underwear :)

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Scott- I think it is exactly what the Hog driver was grumping about. Nobody willing to make a decision and pushing that decision up the food chain so far, nothing happens. Plus someone unqualified to do it micromanaging the show. There should be a set of rules of engagement and anything the fits inside those rules is fair game. That is why we lost VietNam. The North was ready to quit after Linebacker II when Haiphong Harbor was shut down, there was no AAA and no SAMs, and Hanoi was getting pounded. If we had done that in 1968 when the Viet Cong were licked, the war would have been over.

12. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
  13. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
  14. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
  15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #141 tazandjan, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Kelowna likes this.
  16. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    It might make a good FAC airplane, of course I'm not even sure if the AF still has FACs.

17. islerodreaming

islerodreaming Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Full Name:
    John - a proud Australian man
    About 20 years ago I had the privilege of the late Colin Pay showing me his warbird collection at Scone, New South Wales. He had just bought an A-37 out of the jungle of Vietnam (said there were plenty left there). Got in a bit of trouble with Customs as he didn't remove the guns prior to entry to the country - I think he was trying to slide that one by.. One of the great collections in Aust together with half a hanger full of crated NOS Merlins and Allisons..

John

18. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #144 zygomatic, Mar 27, 2015
    And the always-stylish, perfect-for-any-occasion "Save the A-10" shirts
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Kelowna likes this.
  19. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
  20. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Not only is the M2 still in service, but the Army has updated them to no longer need head space and timing done for a quick barrel change. We are also thinking of buying this XM806 .50 Cal LW Machine Gun | Military.com for the light Infantry.

21. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Even 6 .50s could be devastating. I recall that a bunch of P-51s sank a Japanese ship solely by strafing!

22. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    This is one deployment/TDY that I'd love to be on:

WHITEMAN AFB -- Thunderbolt II jets at Whiteman Air Force Base are expected to deploy to support a North Atlantic Treaty Organizationally, Estonia, in the face of Russian aggression, Sen. Roy Blunt said Wednesday.

A-10 from Whiteman Air Force Base Set to Deploy to Estonia | Military.com

23. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #149 ralfabco, Aug 9, 2015

I obtained this example from a vet, who flew the Super Tweet with the 8th SOS. This is an original example.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.