Exotic Car Transport - Stay Away!! | FerrariChat

Exotic Car Transport - Stay Away!!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by digitaltreetop, Mar 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. digitaltreetop

Sep 15, 2013
    #1 digitaltreetop, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just wanted to let everyone know that I used these guys ( Exotic Car Transport of Orlando) to transport my new 458 Spider. It arrived with a cracked diffuser...scuffed front bumper...and a scratched drivers window (like something had been banging on it during the move). See pics attached.

None of these items was on the bill of laden and its over $4k in damage. I have called DAILY for over 2 weeks to their offices with promise of call or email from Jan the owner.

I did happen to catch her friday and she was telling me that she has several cracked 458 diffuser bills on her desk...I told her i understood her frustration but thats up to her to determine what she wants/needs to do going forward to prevent this...but meanwhile she cant stick me with this repair and the other damage!

Ill let everyone know what ends up happening here!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Sucks. Better off using people like Horseless Carriage instead of these bozo's. Did one of the yellow trucks drop it off with one of their drivers shown on their website, or did they broker it out? File a damage claim.

3. digitaltreetop

Sep 15, 2013
    Yep thats who I will use next time. They are awesome probably cheaper too!

4. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Ask for the name of her insurer and submit a claim for damage directly to them.

5. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    I have used them in the past for my gallardo, back and forth from Boca to Orlando, never had any issues...

6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Yeah, well they're fine until something goes wrong, as it did for me once. Then they don't want to hear about it. I'll never use them again.

7. MME

MME Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Marty
    Anyone ever use Passport Transport?

8. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    That's very upsetting. I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience.

9. tor328

tor328 Rookie

Mar 11, 2015
    GTA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shaheen
    Here's a question - how do you get the scratches out of the window?

10. digitaltreetop

Sep 15, 2013
    #10 digitaltreetop, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had someone polish out the scratches today...if u look just right you can see a couple of riples but your would really have to know what you were looking for.

11. digitaltreetop

Sep 15, 2013
    Update I spoke with Jan today. She is waiting to hear back from another customer on weather the dealer will pay for the repair. I hope she does the right thing either way...

12. TC94

TC94 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 23, 2005
    TN
  13. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    I just used Plycar/Plycon, Seattle to So. Cal. - very satisfied.
    Own trucks, drivers are employees, run regular routes, no brokers,
    all enclosed trucks. Very reasonable, only a little more than a broker quote.
    $1250, all in, here in 3 days. Highly recommend Plycar/Plycon.

My car never moved after being loaded, important factor in damage control.

Best advice is do not use a broker, only own trucks/drivers, and no depot
    stops to change trucks or hold cars for other routes to pick up.
    I made sure that they were driving straight to me and no on and off the trailer.

14. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Firstly, yo have a beautiful car. Im a sucker for white Ferraris.

Secondly, give Jan a time frame to settle all claims. Then secure a attorney. I would also let her know the Exotic community is small and if she wants to avoid another fiasco like Tconners......pay up early and 'cheaply'.

15. digitaltreetop

Sep 15, 2013
  16. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Excellent advice.

Last week a car hauler stopped down the road to deliver a car to a neighbor.
    They basically reshuffled the entire trailer to get to it. WTF ?
    Makes you wonder how many reshuffles before that.

17. digitaltreetop

Sep 15, 2013
    I think that was a big part of he issue...the car was moved from the bottom to the top during transport.

18. TC94

TC94 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 23, 2005
    TN
    Her insurance company paid somewhat slowly. Requests for the $5k deductible went ignored until I had a lawyer threaten a lawsuit. I received the $5k plus legal fees and shipping costs within 2 days of that threat.

She took two weeks after the incident to notify the insurance company. They took almost 2 weeks to authorize repairs. Repairs took all summer.

Never again. I'll eventually trust someone else, but I've already booked round trip flights to drop it off and pick it up after service in April.

My advice to others is to find someone else for your spring car shipping needs.

19. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I used Exotic last winter for a round trip between PA and Naples. Both trips were perfect. In general I think it is a crap shoot each time a car is transported. That is why I am so concerned when I ship the car, regardless of the carrier.

Since every hauler has issues the "good" ones will address any issues quickly and professionally. It appears Exotic is failing in this area. Sure makes me nervous to ship the car.

20. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    That's right. Even the best, most careful carrier can have a problem occasionally. It's how they respond and resolve the problem to the customer's satisfaction that separates the jerks from the true professionals.

21. digitaltreetop

Sep 15, 2013
    yea Im a business owner too...anyone can sell something...its how they back their product or service up that counts!

22. yasir

yasir Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Used Intercity lines three times (KY>CT, CT>KY, RI>KY), cars were always covered, drivers were always professional, kept me updated about the delivery and not once a single scratch on the cars.

23. Sin

Sin Karting

Nov 28, 2003
    WA
    Full Name:
    Mark
  24. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    what is their ISO rating ? ISO is an international standards org that tracks performance / quality of product / service

each category / client is identified by a number ISOxxxx

ISO tracks quality and quality control from manufacturing to services... to be certified certain standards must be met and maintained

when using an ISO rated vendor, the service or product will meet or exceed expectations
    of quality ... it is a coveted certification... ask for it when dealing with a new or unknown vendor... move on if no rated... when we were shipping a lot we used ISO rated shippers
    who performed without fault...

25. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    That's not exactly true is it?

Whilst the visible damage appeared to be "a minor crack and small scratch", he actually had a lot more damage underneath the bumper which resulted in the whole rear end of the car being repaired with brand new Ferrari sourced parts.

(See post #10 onwards here: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/458-italia-488/381966-my-baby-returned-home-long-soap-opera.html#post141726609 )

In the case of the OP in this thread, it would seem that his damage is nowhere near as bad (at least I hope it isn't!)