Generational shift shaking up vintage car market | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Generational shift shaking up vintage car market

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by dantm, Mar 10, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I call BS on the "stuck on the phones bull"..

1. The number of people under 30.. yes young women too.. that check out the car when I have her out is impressive. Not necessarily a drool.. but a good hard glance tells me the doom and gloom for special cars like Ferrari's is overrated.
    2. Notice that celebs like Kim Kardashian and Paris Hilton are glued to their phone.. Note how she tweets and doesn't know a injection coil from a gas tank. (does she even pump gas?)
    What car do they get the first month they make it? Ferrari.
    Yeah for a cohort that ain't driving.. it seems they know what car they want when they have the cash. And that is the rub with millennials. No cash. Wait till they get older and start having their fertility doc on speed dial. That's when they'll want the house in the burbs, the family, and the car.

2. exotic30

exotic30 Karting

Jun 22, 2008
    Have you been to China? :) I don't see it being a car culture but it's just me (maybe?). Think of the North American passion for the original US built cars, the automotive revolution having taken place in the USA over the last century, etc., etc.

Then of course there's the felt connection to the Italian artistry and the German engineering, and so on. Do Chinese people (en masse) have the same affinity to the values that European history and tradition espouse?

3. exotic30

exotic30 Karting

Jun 22, 2008
    There's a difference between admiring something unique and beautiful and wanting to spend money on it (it costs how much for an engine out? :).

4. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I don't know... I still haven't figured out why, as an American, I've always felt more of a connection with Italian and German cars.

(And no, haven't been to mainland China - only HK.)

5. 8500rpm

8500rpm Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    San Francisco Bay
    Full Name:
    Chan
    China will not be a factor in classic cars until importation of old cars is loosened up.

At this time it is nearly impossible, even with all the connections lined up. All of the grey market imports are brand new cars.

6. m5guy

m5guy Formula 3

Aug 17, 2008
    Ventura, CA.
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I am in the auto parts manufacturing business. One of our divisions specializes in performance parts. Our largest export market for that product line is China. Top selling applications are BMW 3-series, Audi A4 and VW Golf. It is still a small percentage of our overall business (our annual sales are in the mid 9-figures) but the China enthuasiast market is growing. Give it another 10 years to break out.

7. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

8. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    #33 mclaudio, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    My opinion: the higher tier collectible cars (based on beauty, provenance and relative rarity) will have the best chances of crossing generations, especially as long as the brands remain relevant and functionalities are maintained. For lower tier collectibles, generational shifts have a much more significant effect on the values.

Regarding China: the nouveau rich is still into the newer cars from top brands. Judging from their developing tastes for vintage wines and traditional art, I think there will be a time during the next decade in which more will jump into the vintage car market especially Ferraris.

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The Chinese have no use for "old" cars. They have no classic car culture and taxes to import them are 110%, not to mention government regulations. Buy a 2 Million dollar car and it will cost them 4.4.

I don't see Chinese money doing anything. It hasn't to this point.

What the Chinese like are new cars as status symbols.

I have absolute proof. Chinese stand outside in long cues in Hong Kong to buy new watches and purses. They never touch the vintage market.

Magnum never ran on Chinese TV. A 308 is just another old car.

10. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    A few people on this board say generational shifts have nothing to do with the classic car market.

11. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Yes but the $ age range to go buy your childhood dream car is usually 40-65 so we have 25 more years till those kids get there

12. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Me too, got my 60 Caddy. I'd love a 76 roadster & Cadzilla :)

Duesy would b welcome too

13. WilD

WilD Karting

Jan 20, 2011
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I agree. People who say cars (in general) are going to continue to appreciate are not taking an honest long term view of the situation. I wonder if horse carriage enthusiasts were having the same conversation back in 1890.

14. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Equestrian is still big business with a wide following. I'm guessing basic Camry-type cars will go away, but hobby/recreational... different story.

15. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Yes I have been to China....a couple of times. There are a couple of things at play in the Chinese market. Firstly, wealthy Chinese send their kids to the US for school. There is a huge underground exotic scene of Chinese students here in California. They show up to 'Coffee and Cars' in their Aventadors, F458's etc. But drive a modest car to school to keep a low profile. The Chinese also do not look at 'classic' cars the same way we do. Classic means old and undesirable. But I would gamble that view is changing as classic is becoming more viewed as 'valuable asset'.

Lastly, Importing anything into China is a lesson in Economics. They hit imports with huge import duties. Its far cheaper to buy a home in another country and keep the vintage Ferrari there. If the Chinese government ever eases import duties on vintage or classic cars.......values will jump overnight. There are plenty of wealthy Chinese nationals who desire older exotics.

Getting back to the topic on hand....I see the earlier Japanese sports cars as the latest untapped market.

16. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I was going to say exactly what you said. I live in Vancouver which is dominated by Chinese money. My son is Chinese obsessed and only dates Chinese girls. They don't like to keep a car past two years old. They have created a great used car market.

17. Super_Dave

Super_Dave Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    No offense, but there is no basis for assuming the guy is really "in the know" at all with respect to future buying trends.

His personal bias is towards assuming or stoking the market to take off (since he owns all those cars) but he is just someone who effectively inherited a position of wealth. He is likely a (very small part) of the reason for the current bubble in exotics and classics, but he won't have any particular insights regardless of his business as a lux import/exporter.

When the asset bubbles start to pop again, there will be a withdrawal from the market by speculators, Chinese or otherwise. I agree that the Chinese enthusiast market is not as well-developed -- it is even more status-oriented than the US market (which is itself becoming more status oriented for high end performance cars).

That said, you need only a very small subset, of a subset, to make the Chinese market relevant.

18. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Buyers like the Japanese became big collectors and their economy transitioned much like China is doing now. Plus they have had similar car buying habits. I don't think this David Lee guy cares too much one way or another who buys his cars down the road, but he knows these people and my money would be on this being a significant market at some point.

19. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

I don't know enough about the classic Ferrari market but I do know about coins and currency. It's been a hobby of mine for 42 years. I can tell you there is more demand for confederate currency since any time after the civil war. There are a lot of collectors that want it. I can't tell you why but people want it young and old.

20. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

#45 dwhite, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
    Historical artifacts are usually collectable. However, The Civil War has such a hold - and rightfully so - on many people in the US, especially in the southern states where the war was fought. I saw it first hand when attending college in NC (1976) and learned alot about the history of the war from some avid civil war historians, collectors and battlefield metal-detecting-enthusiasts.

21. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I agree wholeheartedly so am hedged both ways.
    A 512BB for me and my generation and an NSX and 450 mile RX7 twin turbo for the next.
    But a timeless design like a 250GTO will always be collectable.

22. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    The rare and beautiful cars will always be worth big money, see: Duesenberg and Bugatti. Most of the people that lusted over them when they were new are dead but it hasn't hurt value at all.

The higher production and not in some way very special cars will be a crap shoot. A nicely restored VW van, for example, is worth some coin and going up and will probably not go down in the future as those who never saw them when they were new love them. A run of the mill Vega or Pinto, never. A comparably limited production and good looking Ferrari, even a 'mass produced' 308 will probably maintain it's value pretty well. The not so good looking ones or not in some way special ones, crap shoot (308 GT4, 365GT4/400/412).

The good looking and rare muscle cars will maintain value decently, but the run of the mill cars that saw or are seeing a run up won't. I don't think you'll ever see a cheap 327 FI or tripower 427 vette. They're beautiful, rare, and for the time, very high performance cars.

You have to put it into perspective. Ferrari made what, 12k 308's for all years for the whole world? Most muscle cars saw that kind of production (or much more) in a single year just in the US, it's only the limited production special versions that were made in lower numbers, and those limited numbers are comparable to a 308, not a lower production Daytona or BB.

23. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Agree.

To "rare and beautiful", I'd add "iconic". To take an obvious example, the '68 Mustang GT 390 fastback as used in 'Bullitt', is probably famous enough to transcend the circle of Mustang enthusiasts or guys who were teens in the late '60s. The Gullwing and Speedster are probably in the same category -- you don't have to be a Mercedes or Porsche fanatic to want one.

24. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    The other thing that might interesting to note as well is the younger generations like "vintage"

There has been a bit of a push for Vintage clothes and vintage watches etc...

Vintage hairstyles etc... maybe they will get the vintage car thing too.

There was so much of a vintage push that almost every drinks company did a throw back label. They did it for a reason I would imagine.

25. ilconservatore

ilconservatore F1 Veteran

May 18, 2009
    Cincinnati Ohio
    I'm 38, and grew up like a lot of kids - buy a $500 project car and fix it up. You had to learn a lot of skills to do that, but it was common to do.

As far as I can tell, that has dried up. Younger kids like vintage but don't have the tools, space, knowledge or attention span for large projects. They're likely to buy a $5000 car that runs and drives, then add or modify stuff here and there with aftermarket parts. Jeeps, fox body mustangs, hondas/toyota/3 series bmw, etc. I have a few restoration projects down in the barn, and if its not a 60s musclecar, they're harder than ever to sell.

Younger kids also seem to be able to afford brand new enthusiast cars at a rate I can't fathom. Maybe parents are co-signing loans because the media keeps telling them how unsafe old cars are?