Relocating to Phoenix | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Relocating to Phoenix

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by scowman, Mar 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. THE RED MENACE

THE RED MENACE Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 24, 2005
    I am on vacation in Scottsdale right now an love it. Love it so much we are meeting with a real estate broker tomorrow to see some possible vacation houses. We wouldn't ever come down June through September but it's been a great vacation spot for us. I played golf on Friday at Troon North and on thr 15th tee box a snake and a rabbit were going at it. Both went in opposite directions after the tussle.

2. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Did either make par? :)

3. SYake

SYake Karting

May 15, 2005
    NoVA
    Jim,

We lived there from 98 to 2014, here is a list off the top of my head that we saw:
    Coyotes
    Scorpions (lots of them)
    Cougar (two legged, lots of them)
    Cougar (four legged, one sleeping in our driveway)
    Gilla Monster
    Rattlesnakes
    King Snakes
    tarantulas
    Desert Sonoran Toads
    Owls
    Hawks
    africanized beehives....

4. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    #54 kevfla, Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
    This would flip-out most of the free world, especially the English! Gun ranges in the tourist zones around the theme parks are very popular, as many countries don't allow private hand-gun ownership.
    And hey...congratulations on the job!

5. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    To add to that list:
    angry Havalenas
    angry bears
    brown recluse spiders
    black widow spiders
    crazy fire ants
    termites that want to eat your house.
    and flying cockroaches that are as big as birds

6. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Fire Ants? Damn! Thought I was ditching them in TX.

Bears? Black Bears? In PV? Not a real threat if they are but you probably can't shoot them can you?

7. AZ-Giallo

AZ-Giallo Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    David
    Ron - He's coming from Houston!!!! LOL

8. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I think bears are the only critter I haven't seen here.

9. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Exactly what I told my wife! The only time we go outside in summer is to get in the pool (pool coolers a must).

Same in Phoenix. Winters will be nicer.

10. R5Turbo2

R5Turbo2 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 14, 2014
    There's way less humidity for sure. !

11. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    Okay, not in Phoenix, but about an hour north and you'll run into a few if you camp in the sticks.

12. Under PSI

Under PSI F1 Rookie

May 13, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I've never seen the 4 legged cougars, no gila monsters, no rattlesnakes, king snakes, tarantulas, toads or beehives. I have seen the javelinas though and coyotes as well as black widow spiders.

13. Under PSI

Under PSI F1 Rookie

May 13, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I was under the impression that the brown recluse was quite rare in AZ, at least in the Phoenix area.

14. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    #64 bushwhacker, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My house in Carefree...borders Scottsdale. 2-3 rattlesnakes a year, Bobcats every season hopped the wall and napped under the trees in the shade on the cool grass, one year I had mom and her two cubs...really cute, Mountain Lion just walking casually down the street ( twice), Javelina all the time would come in a night digging up the roots of the small desert plants, scorpions were there but never in the house thanks to the pest control guys, Gila Monster was dug into a burrow next to the driveway, lots of cotton tales...loved to poop on my grass in the backyard, King snakes...very cool and would keep the Rattle snake population down, Harris and Red Tail hawks woud sit in numbers in the giant Cottonwood trees and Saguaro looking for their next meal, Big owl sitting atop the parapits fo the house checking out what he might have for dinner, Pack Rats everywhere but the snakes and owls would make short work of them, Black Widow spiders in dark places, Kangaroo mice would get caught in the pool filter and drown trying to get a drink, saw one Red Racer snake once...very fast and would help with the Rattlers as well. Lots of lizards of every description doing their pushups to claim their territory.
    Quite a zoo out there and a full food chain to watch and watch out for. It's desert in all its beauty with things that poke, sting and bite you;)

Loved it:)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. motomike8

motomike8 Karting

Jan 7, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Since you mentioned you'll be working in Tempe - you might also want to check out Ahwatukee. It is due west of Tempe and could help you avoid rush hour traffic on the 101 every day. I live in that part of town and travel a lot for work. I can get to the airport in 20 minutes. We have lots of folks in the neighborhood that work for east valley tech companies like Intel, Honeywell, Microchip, Insight, etc. There are houses in every price range and you get a lot more for your money than Scottsdale. Good luck!

16. AZ-Giallo

AZ-Giallo Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    David
  17. Under PSI

Under PSI F1 Rookie

May 13, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Jim
    +1. I live in Ahwatukee as well.

18. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    Very nice. That is why we live here. You are always one step away from the beauty of a rugged nature (and a scorpion sting).

19. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Thanks, I will take a look.

20. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Every place has its plusses and minuses. Arizona is a stunning state. You can go from desert to alpine forests in a matter of hours. The scenery is spectacular and like nothing on earth.

The roads around Phoenix are not entertaining and I miss the brilliant driving roads right outside your door in different parts of the country, but the good here far out weighs the bad. There are a couple of decent roads nearby, but the variety is just not there. I can take off on a Wednesday morning and be in the mountains on some brilliant back roads in an hour and spend the day experiencing all the 'G' forces I like. All without much traffic or boys in blue.

As for the heat...... it is what it is. It sucks. On the good side, CO is a days drive. San Diego is a short hop and Flagstaff is even closer. You just plan your getaways and you'll be fine. The cars won't melt in the garage.

There are a number of racetracks in the area and state that have events throughout the year that you can get your 'speed' on in a controlled environment.

For a car guy, you can literally drive 365 days/year. and if you are social, there are many enthusiasts to get together with. Check out my thread with the latest FOC newsletter.

21. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Thanks, I look forward to meeting you guys. It will probably be fall by the time I get everything sorted out and ready to play.

22. m5trol

m5trol Rookie

Nov 6, 2011
    Please do keep us posted. If you can, would love to connect professionally as well, we have a lot of tech, medical startups, doctors and business people of all sorts here.

23. Ghibli Cup #11

Ghibli Cup #11 Karting

Jun 17, 2004
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Noah
    If you need an agent try this site Find The Top Real Estate Agent for You | Agent Ace . They use data to find the highest performing agents.

24. THE RED MENACE

THE RED MENACE Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 24, 2005
    I am currently looking for a vacation home in Scottsdale, and I have a great realtor, Frank Boyd, he has done an outstanding job at pre-viewing houses for me, walking through them and talking to listing agents so I don't waste time when I'm there, and is constantly keeping me updated on new listings. I know a lot of people who have used him and he came highly recommended and he has been better than advertised. PM me if you want any more info.

25. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Thanks for all the help! I started work last Friday. Rented in the Tempe dog patch. Three college kids for room mates one of which has been high since Ive been here. No car so I take the tram to work which is three miles away. Unfortunately I live right next to four peaks brewery so rathe than lifting weights I'm hoisting pints.