Mondial QV Side Windows: From 4 mls to 4 secs | FerrariChat

Mondial QV Side Windows: From 4 mls to 4 secs

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by afterburner, Mar 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    #1 afterburner, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    In summer, it used to take 4 miles for the side windows to wind up - on a good day. And that was with the separat window relay set installed. And yes, the pulleys turn, the cables are greased and the channel gaskets are new.
    When it got cold here, the drivers side window stopped going up. Even when pulled up by hand completely releasing tension on the wires... time to restore the motor/gearbox.
    I had some hard time a couple of years ago with a Dino window winder/cable installation that had been out of the car and unwound. Took a while until the spools were wound the correct way, and needed 3 hands... I decided to see weather I can design a tool that would prevent the unspooling of the wires as I only have 2 hands here.
    Here the comic strip of the operation. Door panel removal for those who have never done it in order, starting with the single screw at the rear of the insert. The panel slides out rearwards - disconnect the mirror switch! The cheater panel is held by 1 tiny screw - don't loose it. The upper panel has one screw in the front face towards the dash, and 4 horizontal bolts on the underside. It lifts straight up.
    Front panel (speaker/doorhandle): Remove the single vertical screw from the front part of the chromed doorhandle surround underneath the lock flap, pulling it up slightly. Don't loose it.
    The cast surround moves out forward by lifting the doorhandle slightly. When putting back, make sure its 2 horizontal feet grab below the cast base's groove. Remove the vertical screw from below in the leather trimmed section, the horizontal screw in the corner of the carpet triangle and the 4 horizontal bolts along the upper edge. The panel moves away horizontally to clear the speaker. Unhook the speaker cables before removing the panel completely.
    The pocket panel has 3 horizontal bolts at the top and 2 vertical screws from the bottom. it falls off when loosened. Replacement in reverse order - hook up the speaker :)
    With the window up, put in the cable holder firmly against the window motor and fix it with cable ties. Position the window holder vertically and then tap the switch quickly to release some tension from the cables. Remove the 3 nuts of the window motor. It comes out easily via the bottom hole.
    Take everything apart and clean the concrete-like old grease out. Careful, as it is almost harder than the plastic parts. Benzine helps to dissolve and clean it off. I used tons of toothpicks, small chisels and Q-tips to clean the gear wheels. Re-assemble with new grease and put it back in. Put the cables back onto the pulleys and wind the window back up to take out the window holder.
    I also checked the two window stops and found one broken. I restored one and replaced the other one with a thick felt pad pending sourcing a new one. Any leads anyone? They do protect the window from getting shattered on the stop support when it gets slammed down in a hurry.
    I did the same to the passenger side with the same result. 4.5 hours per side, of which 3 cleaning...
    The window now goes down in 3.5secs and flies up in 4 flat
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Awesome thread!

And brings back some memories as well. The gear grease in my then 10 year old Mondial 8 had turned into the same consistency as hard wax, almost plastic-like.

3. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Great thread, I have to do the driver side on my TR because it doesn't go up fully. I may go that full grease job.

BTW, first time I ever heard someone calculating window speed in miles, very funny!

4. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    And that was on the highway!

5. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Great thread write up.

Guido
    PS : how is your fathers project car doing ?

6. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Guido, hahaha you remember! The engine/gearbox is ready (=run in on the test stand) to go into the otherwise finished car. I will post as soon as she is up and running :) The result is stunning so far.

7. porchnut

porchnut Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Andrew Bober
    Could they have designed something anymore difficult, amazing, hope I never have this issue with my '86 cab, as they currently go up and down I feel like any normal car of today, except for the driver side rear window, it needs a little help the last inch or so.

8. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    clever idea to zip tie the cables from moving unwinding

excellent write up !

9. Antwan

Antwan Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Manchester UK
    Great afterburner. Thanks for posting this, good info.

10. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    This is a fantastic tutorial! Is there a printable version? 😜

11. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
  12. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Awesome thread. Thanks so much!

13. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    #14 afterburner, Mar 23, 2015
  14. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Very nice Urs! This is a job I really dislike -> windows.. simply because it tends to get messy and time consuming. however now I might think about it in doing so! :D

15. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    This has me stumped. The tool kit has an emergency window crank handle. Does it work independently of this NASA unit? If so, and if my windows go bad I think I would have some billet machined handles made out of Titanium or something.

wow

16. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    #17 afterburner, Mar 26, 2015
    david - I think if you PRESS your handle into that slot (which is right behind the cover in the door panel), you unlock the spool from the gearwheel.

17. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Its a pitty the mondial repair thread is closed and removed...all this superstuff from Urs should be preserved for the future and accessible to all mondialist.
    Maybe in the blog from Tijn, Mvt...

Guido

18. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Two years now I have expected the passenger window lift to die. I lower it every day in warm weather (seven months were I live). It just keeps limping along though.